Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW e36 (LSX) project starting point

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this is a generic "E36 LS1 Swap" thread, and our name was mentioned several times here, I figured I would chime in. We've sold all ten of our first run of "Stage 0 kits", that include:
  • Vorshlag Motor Mounts (Powdercoated, TIG welded with poly mounts)
  • Vorshlag 1 3/4" SS T304 headers (CNC bent primaries & precision formed collectors, 3/8" laser cut head flanges, aircraft based V-band collector flanges, TIG welded and back purged)
  • Vorshlag Spec'd custom steering shaft (Chrome-moly steering shaft built to withstand the extreme duties of this Kit while reducing steering slop and increasing header primary clearance)
  • Vorshlag Transmission Crossmember (Powdercoated, TIG welded with poly mount)
  • Vorshlag Spec'd custom driveshaft (3" aluminum, including U-joints, a T56 input yoke and 4 bolt BMW 188mm axle flange)

These production built pieces get the DIY'er the parts you need to get started. It is our opinion that the remaining parts can be done by talented DIYers, such as plumbing, wiring, etc. This gets you on your way to a running car without having to spend time and money designing and fabricating custom headers, drivetrain bracketry, custom steering shaft and driveshaft, etc.

Pricing: $3,999, for the first 10 buyers

Some production Stage 0 part pictures, starting with the headers:

Header and collector fixtures:

Chassis-side motor mounts and fixtures:

Our set-up keeps the factory master cylinder, booster, and functional ABS brakes. The engine is not tilted or "crooked" relative to the chassis. Every part is either Laser Cut or CNC bent, and TIG welded. If its alloy steel it gets powder coated, otherwise its 304 Stainless Steel or Aluminum. Everything bolts in, with the only cutting involved is trimming the shifter hole slightly.

The headers do involve a good bit of cost, but after trying every available LS1 exhaust manifold (none fit without major modification), and not liking the look, fit or performance hit that block hugger 1-5/8" shorties would cause, we went all-out and made the best headers possible for an E36 LS1 (that add power instead of detract from it). No excuses, no compromises. We built this kit for people that would appreciate the high degree of engineering and fabrication quality that belongs in a "BMW".

For those of you with the fabrication skills to do this swap on your own, and want to purchase "one or two pieces" we make, we will have ala carte pricing for each component in our Stage 0 and Stage 1 kits sometime in January.

In-car video from our E36 LS1 alpha car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r82qX2VjqZc This "race car" has a used, stock ~400hp LS1 (LS6 manifold + longtubes), with cats, and tips the scales at 2530 pounds. Its a blast to drive.

Cheers,
Old 12-11-2007, 10:50 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you shipped any parts yet?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rao
Have you shipped any parts yet?
And right on cue, in chimes Nash's #1 Fan!

That took you all of 37 minutes this time, rao. You're slippin'.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rcM3
The next thing I want to straighten out is regarding which oil pan(s) I can use. This is a great thread by Philntx detailing lots of oil pans available for LSx motors:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/817787-lsx-oil-pans.html

Where (or from what cars) are people getting oil pans for e36-LSx cars and what modifications (if any) are necessary?
Still looking for any answers about oil pans.

Rao, which oil pan did you use? It looks like you just stuck with what was already on your motor.

Thaniel, did you get yours already modified? What was it originally from and what modifications were required? Getting the motor into the position you did in order to keep the factory brake-booster and steering shaft is essential to my swap.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fair
And right on cue, in chimes Nash's #1 Fan!

That took you all of 37 minutes this time, rao. You're slippin'.
Since you avoided the question I assume that you haven't.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Skele4door
Since you avoided the question I assume that you haven't.
You are correct - we are finishing some components now and will be shipping completed Stage 0 production kits very soon. We've contacted our customers that have inquired and are keeping them informed of schedules. Not unheard of in this business to miss a ship date. Sucks, but that's business sometimes when you have several vendors supplying pieces and parts in a large assembly. We'll handle our customers.

rao just goes out of his way to be a hater whenever he can. He has a Nash kit and that's great - more power to him. I just don't know why he has to trash on Vorshlag - its not just here, its everywhere, instantly, every time I post about an E36 LS1 he's there to hate.

Someone mentioned our name several times in this thread, so I shared info and pics. When our name comes up in a discussion I tend to show detailed pictures of what we have to offer - is that a crime?
Old 12-11-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Still looking for any answers about oil pans.

Rao, which oil pan did you use? It looks like you just stuck with what was already on your motor.

Thaniel, did you get yours already modified? What was it originally from and what modifications were required? Getting the motor into the position you did in order to keep the factory brake-booster and steering shaft is essential to my swap.

The Vorshlag kit uses a stock unmodified LS1 F-body oil pan. Not sure what others have done...
Old 12-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FirstGen
The Vorshlag kit uses a stock unmodified LS1 F-body oil pan. Not sure what others have done...
Thanks for the info. Hopefully others will chime in eventually.

The Vorshlag kit is really looking great and I've followed the build-up closely. Unfortunately its way more $$ than I (and many people) can afford at this time. I truly respect the quality of Vorshlag's products and look forward to owning many someday (especially camber plates, mason strut brace, etc, etc).

Thanks for putting your info up. I'll take all the help I can get.

Meanwhile I'll focus on finding the most economical solutions possible.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:19 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fair

rao just goes out of his way to be a hater whenever he can. He has a Nash kit and that's great - more power to him. I just don't know why he has to trash on Vorshlag - its not just here, its everywhere, instantly, every time I post about an E36 LS1 he's there to hate.
I have never gone out of my way to trash you. I could if you want, though
Old 12-11-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

RcM3 - Anytime. Best of luck to you on your project!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rao
I have never gone out of my way to trash you. I could if you want, though
Typical smart *** reply. Nice.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. Hopefully others will chime in eventually.

The Vorshlag kit is really looking great and I've followed the build-up closely. Unfortunately its way more $$ than I (and many people) can afford at this time. I truly respect the quality of Vorshlag's products and look forward to owning many someday (especially camber plates, mason strut brace, etc, etc).

Thanks for putting your info up. I'll take all the help I can get.

Meanwhile I'll focus on finding the most economical solutions possible.
We also use the stock f body pan, the stock steering shaft clears are headers, we just upgraded it for the kit
Old 12-11-2007, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

My pan is a modified F-body pan. there's a pic of the modified pan next to an unmodified pan here http://ls1bmw.blogspot.com/2007_05_01_archive.html

I'm not sure how the position of my engine compares to the Nash or Vorshlag position. I'd like to see measurements for the height and Fwd Rear placement just for interest sake (not moving mine now)

The trans mount for in the Vorshlag kit looks pretty stiff. I don't remember what Nash has. Mine car utilizes a typical urethane trans mount bushing.

Missing the steering shaft will have a lot to do with the routing of the exhaust. If you're willing to go with shorties I'd look at welding up your own headers. maybe long tubes? Parts shouldn't add up to that much and then you'll have the flexibilty to clear the necessary items. But keep after it. If you hit on a inexpensive exhaust combination it will make the swap more appealing to others.

Last edited by Thaniel; 12-11-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Thaniel
My pan is a modified F-body pan. there's a pic of the modified pan next to an unmodified pan here http://ls1bmw.blogspot.com/2007_05_01_archive.html

I'm not sure how the position of my engine compares to the Nash or Vorshlag position. I'd like to see measurements for the height and Fwd Rear placement just for interest sake (not moving mine now)
It took me a while to figure out what the "modification" was done to your oil pan, but I see it now. The lower part starts farther back and I'm guessing this is what allows you to mount your motor a little farther forward than others do in e36s, allowing you to keep your brake booster.

Does this seem correct? If your motor was mounted any farther back would that (valve cover vs brake booster) be the first space conflict to occur?

Originally Posted by Thaniel
Missing the steering shaft will have a lot to do with the routing of the exhaust. If you're willing to go with shorties I'd look at welding up your own headers. maybe long tubes? Parts shouldn't add up to that much and then you'll have the flexibilty to clear the necessary items. But keep after it. If you hit on a inexpensive exhaust combination it will make the swap more appealing to others.
I'm looking really forward to seeing how these shorty blockhugger headers fit. If they work it'll really help lower the price of e36 swaps.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Teching In

The stock booster, abs unit and oil pan can all be used, when you push the engine back, you can see the pictures at are website for clearance.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NewAge
The stock booster, abs unit and oil pan can all be used, when you push the engine back, you can see the pictures at are website for clearance.
Pretty impressive stuff. So why do so many other swappers bother switching to hydroboost? Or use a modified oil pan?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Don't really know, have to ask them, my guess is engine mount and header setup they decided on.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:33 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Pretty impressive stuff. So why do so many other swappers bother switching to hydroboost? Or use a modified oil pan?
Somewhere in the relationship between the oil pan, engine location, steering shaft, brake booster and headers something has to give. There is no "best" solution; it all depends on how you want to approach it.

FWIW, I can report that the the brakes with hydroboost are very nice.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rao
Somewhere in the relationship between the oil pan, engine location, steering shaft, brake booster and headers something has to give. There is no "best" solution; it all depends on how you want to approach it.
Sadly, that's kinda the way it works in swaps, isn't it. Always seems like there's 7, 8, or 10 lbs worth of stuff to put into a 5 lb container, and somethings gotta give.

But I for one am very interested in a swap that can make a stock manifold or header fit (like a block hugger). That would drop a bunch of $$$ out of the cost of this conversion.

Originally Posted by rao
FWIW, I can report that the the brakes with hydroboost are very nice.
They should be! Not having to rely on vacuum is a nice thing. Means you can run a really lumpy cam or boost and not worry about stopping the thing.

'JustDreamin'
Old 12-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NewAge
Don't really know, have to ask them, my guess is engine mount and header setup they decided on.
NewAge, headers look good, but I thought I read somewhere the DIY guy has to weld them?

Quick Reply: BMW e36 (LSX) project starting point