Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass air K&N Filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass air K&N Filter

Was wondering what air filter you guys are using when clamping directly to the mass air? I have minimal space in my engine compartment, and need something relatively small in diameter & length!
Attached Thumbnails Mass air K&N Filter-img_0727.jpg  
Old 01-10-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 55LS1
Was wondering what air filter you guys are using when clamping directly to the mass air? I have minimal space in my engine compartment, and need something relatively small in diameter & length!
Which style MAF are you using?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you end up with, make sure you don't over-oil the filter or you might end up with MAF codes and airflow errors.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Launching!

ZO6 85mm

Originally Posted by 98blackSS
Which style MAF are you using?
Old 01-10-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Most people either

A) run aluminum tubing to put the put air cleaner somewhere over near the fender where they can duct cool air to it.

or

B) Use the S&P combined airfilter/MAF unit. I like to call this the S&P HAI (Hot Air Intake).

Pulling hot air from behind the radiator on an LS1 is probably throwing away about 30HP. (using rule of thumb 1% per 10F increase in intake temp).
Old 01-10-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

I agree with Rodder on the hot air, I'm working on that problem right now. Old cars have a pretty thin engine bay, not much room for ducting.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Oscar, I still think you need to turn the intake around backwards and run ducting through the firewall. It's either that or put the radiator underneath the car--that would be interesting to duct .
Old 01-11-2008, 01:54 AM
Launching!

I know I should make some type of cold air, just thinking of a way to get it started and work the bugs out!

Originally Posted by Rodder
Most people either

A) run aluminum tubing to put the put air cleaner somewhere over near the fender where they can duct cool air to it.

or

B) Use the S&P combined airfilter/MAF unit. I like to call this the S&P HAI (Hot Air Intake).

Pulling hot air from behind the radiator on an LS1 is probably throwing away about 30HP. (using rule of thumb 1% per 10F increase in intake temp).
Originally Posted by Oscar Will
I agree with Rodder on the hot air, I'm working on that problem right now. Old cars have a pretty thin engine bay, not much room for ducting.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

I figured it out, I'm fabricating ducts around the radiator on both sides that will dump cold air into my airbox via flex duct. I'll post it up once I get it past the mockup stage.

My IAT on a 55 degree ambiant day was running in the neighborhood of 175-180 degrees!!! WAY too high. I'm surprised it ran as good as it did for all these miles. A lesson learned, I should have taken my son and his laptop for a ride long ago (he does my tuning), I never knew it was a problem until we saw the real time info flashing across the screen of his laptop.

Quick Reply: Mass air K&N Filter