Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LS1 Miata build

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008 | 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's are some pic's.

Last edited by LSX-PWR; 07-28-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2008 | 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

That is friggin' sweet. Where did you get that intake?

An edit to my previously mention of the other high powered miata owner offering advice on your high powered build. After reviewing his build, I personally would have built the Miata differently & do not feel that some of the parts used are going to provide long term reliable performance. Am not slighting his build in anyway. We're all entitled to build whatever & however. Further, we build in different ways to suit different needs & some of us may have installed items with the understanding that those items may need replacing every so often. Anyway, would suggest that you start a new thread related to your build & go from there. I would like to discuss further. Man.....that intake is insane. See you in the new thread.
Old 07-28-2008 | 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will start a new thread.
Old 07-28-2008 | 09:02 PM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia-exchange/961091-90-300zx-tt-vs-ls6-miata-mexico-03-04-cobra-middle.html

Hey guys!!! Its nice to see a few others finally all in one spot. Power wise I am north of 450rwhp/tq. How much not sure yet, making changes as we speak. Putting on a fast 90/90 and fixing a few bottle necks. I never thought I would be at this power level. I was at 384/382 with my ls1. Now higher, hoping for 470-80rwhp NA. Traction is a matter of how you the driver drive the car. I just got back using second gear by making a few changes. My 346ci engine I could nail it at 2nd gear and go!!! Then after the 383 I couldn't use it, it just blew the tires off. After making some supports that bolt to the irs lower a-arms and to the body, now I got it back as per the videos above. We all were at 2nd gear and this thing just goes!!! I had many good runs this weekend and some strong higher hp cars then me. One guy was making 520rwhp on a 03/04 cobra and used a 75 shot to hold door to door with me to 150mph. Off the spray it was easy 2 to 3 cars out and slowly pull'n away from him. Need to fix my underhood pressure too. Need to put vents in it.....the hood is popping up at speed. Watch the tunnel video and wath behind the headlight....the hood lifting!!!! Drag.......need to fix!!!!

Hope I can help any of you with your builds!
Old 07-28-2008 | 09:15 PM
Launching!

ls1-450:

I agree that the parts I have are not as good as what is currently offered. That is what had to use at the time. That was almost 4 years ago. But that is cool, if I had to do this all over again, other parts would have been selected. But that is cool, I can still help any of you from the I have lessons learned. I got over 11,000 miles so far on this. And to Lsx-pwr..... make sure you put the stromgest parts you can afford on yours. I check mine regularly and so far I am good......
Old 07-28-2008 | 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by turbotacoma
ls1-450:

I agree that the parts I have are not as good as what is currently offered. That is what had to use at the time. That was almost 4 years ago. But that is cool, if I had to do this all over again, other parts would have been selected. But that is cool, I can still help any of you from the I have lessons learned. I got over 11,000 miles so far on this. And to Lsx-pwr..... make sure you put the stromgest parts you can afford on yours. I check mine regularly and so far I am good......
Thanks for understanding my point. I also understand that your original build produced less power & that the parts used @ that time were correct for the car built @ that time. Looks as though LSX-PWR has the $ to build a real tank around that 427 of his, based on his pics. It should be an interesting build.
Old 07-31-2008 | 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Alright. The camel's back has been broken. I have held back on saying that Racing Concepts (aka Dan) is often behind schedule and sometimes can't be reached for a week or more.

Why would I not report this sooner? Well first off, hindsight is 20/20. At first, I was promised my kit by thanksgiving and I was promised my car would be out of the paint shop by then too. Neither happened so I just said, ok, these car projects just take longer. Then both the paint shop (completely separate from Dan) and Dan promised christmas and again both missed. At that point I was getting mad at both of them but both came through by the first week of January so I was all happy again, just glad to get my parts/car.

There were several times when I would email/call Dan and he would not get back to me for a week or more. However, everytime he called back he sounded honest and sorry for the delay so I let it slide. And I really like the kit, my parts all work great. The only problems I have had is busting CV boots (still unsure why but hasn't happened again and Dan sent replacements for free the same week) and my diff squirting oil out the vent (backlash too tight) which dan replaced for free again.

When I went to visit him at his place, he seemed smart and honest but very busy. I blamed his busy schedule for the delays and didn't want to criticize him online simply because I found him at a busy time in the year.

In the last month though, a handful of you who have placed orders have contacted me expecting me to somehow be able to get you in touch with Dan. This puts me in a position of feeling bad for you since you basically ordered the kit because of me. Dan owes me the front sway bar mounts and my race seat with custom brackets that he is supposed to be making as well as some other small stuff.

I have not been able to get a response from him for two weeks now. Tonight, I talked with another business owner in FL that somewhat knows Dan and he feels the same way I do at this point: Dan does not know how to properly run a business.

Is there an explanation for Dan's recent actions? I hope so but I cannot logically give him the benefit of the doubt any longer. A simple phone call would convince me otherwise but it seems that's not going to happen.

I in no way meant to lead anyone to buy the RC kit expecting this $hit to happen. Again, I am extremely happy with my kit and my car runs great. With that in mind, it was so hard to say that this guy can't run a business but I am afraid that is the case.

Regardless, until Dan can get his act together I strong recommend no one to buy stuff from RC.
Old 07-31-2008 | 08:38 PM
Launching!

Wow! Reason Why I built mine.
Old 08-04-2008 | 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

ls1 miata, here's my take on this;

There's very little, if any money in building swap kits. Further, the guy whom gets into it usually has very little help. So, he ends up being the customer service guy, sales guy, manufacturing guy, fabricator, inspector,........etc.. Eventually, this either leads to problems @ home or not enough income & too much hassel, for the kit manufacturer, who eventually goes out of business. Am not making excuses for him, am just voicing an opinion. Personally, I feel fortunate to have received all that was needed from the guy whom provided the parts I bought pre-fabed before they went under.
Old 08-04-2008 | 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know him as well as a "friend" but I know him decently well. I have talked to him on the phone many hours and have been at his shop for a week. I agree that your opinion does apply to almost any small company and its probably true for this case as well.
Old 08-04-2008 | 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Would you recommend him? I am thinking of ordering this kit but if it is going to take a very long time I rather not. What do you think?
Old 09-08-2008 | 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Just to give everyone an update. I have reached the 5000 mile mark since the swap. All the kit parts have been non-issues with the exception of the CV Boots which have a tendency to bust at high speed (130+ mph on a track). I called the manufacture of the boot (Rockford CV) and they told me they were not designed for that speed but suggested using less grease to limit the centrifugal force on the boot. I did notice RC put lots of grease in there so hopefully that is the issue. Another suggestion (unofficial and not guaranteed...) was to use zip ties or similar to prevent the boot from ballooning. I think the busting was caused by the over greasing though as the first one I replaced has a couple thousand miles with no zip ties and no problems.

Also, about the exhaust. I brought my car by Buster's today and Jason from enthuzacar is working on getting it available for sale. I get no profit from the sales. Contact Jason at Enthuzacar for more info.
Old 11-01-2008 | 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Just got back from Dynolab. 328whp 355 wtq! Those are some great numbers for a stock engine. Here is a video.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/N...yno_195945.htm

Also, here are some pics of my new shoes

Old 11-01-2008 | 05:15 PM
Banned

Sweet!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2008 | 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice pics.
Old 11-01-2008 | 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Saw one in Memphis at the LSX Shootout last month and it was sweet.
Old 11-02-2008 | 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

dyno chart is now on my specs page

Old 11-03-2008 | 01:09 AM
On The Tree

nice build man. do you think the Z06 tune added power? i just bought a new pcm for my rx7 but had it flashed with a camaro tune
Old 11-03-2008 | 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

yeah, the vette timing basically gives you more (~30) degrees of timing up top. GM artifically limited it in the f-fody. Makes about 20+hp difference.
Old 11-03-2008 | 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

ls1 miata...thus is the nature of all things car modification. I am not making excuses for him, but 99% of the entire aftermarket industry is going to be like this.

Manufacturers, installers, painters, fabricators, etc. all are too small, get paid too little for their time, don't have enough employees, nothing ever goes right with cars, no two cars or projects are ever the same. (And a very small percentage are just plain crooks.)

Always be prepared to wait 10x longer than the estimate, pay 10x more than the estimate, and have 10x the frustration you think you're going to have. We, as car modifiers, just hope it's worth it in the end.

The only people who don't wait are those who fabricate themselves...and often times, even they wait on raw materials, tools being down, family problems, laziness/lack of motivation. It's hard enough for dealerships to stay on top, and they are much bigger, well funded, more organized, more employees, more tools, space, and time, less demand, and they are replacing an existing part with an identical part, they aren't trying anything custom - and you even get delays at dealers.

Quick Reply: My LS1 Miata build