Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 Fiero swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it hard to cool the engine? These thing heated up badly in stock form right?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cars coming along well, been watching this one for a long time.

I'm sorry if I missed it, what wheels are going on this?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
Is it hard to cool the engine? These thing heated up badly in stock form right?
no over heating problems so far but a LS7 in a fiero is all new territory, but my old zz430 motor didn't over heat driving in 90 to 98 temps in the summer.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
Cars coming along well, been watching this one for a long time.

I'm sorry if I missed it, what wheels are going on this?
HRE 541R 20X12 in the rear and 19x8.5 front

Old 12-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pictures of the wheels on the car.

These pics were taken before Phase II of construction began. When it still had the ZZ430 clone engine.

If things work out well over the next few days, we'll be able to post the pics of what it will look like once Phase II is done.

Archie
Old 01-03-2009, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

update:
Originally posted by Archie:

The last couple of days, it was about putting together what parts we did have.

The Battery Tray, spare tire well 7 brake booster came in from paint. They had overspray on the underside, so we painted that area & installed them right away....

We also have been putting braided wire covers on the few wires that can be seen in the engine compartment.

We also have been building a Glovebox into the dash above the cup holders we fitted several months ago.

Archie
Old 01-04-2009, 01:18 AM
Teching In

I see Audi TT vents!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OMFG, I want that car. That wheel/tire combo is sick. Great job!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive been reading for hours. this car is ******* SICK. i also read the other forum where all these trolls are like "yea i trolled pretty hard, and they had nothing" or "i pwned" or all they could come up with was how i backed out of a $5000 dollar race that i insinuated" (sp?) hahah these kids need to log off there computers, get out of there parents basements, and get a job/life.

on another note, Archie ive never heard ofyou till today, but your work looks AMAZING, and to the OP, this is one sick ride. where in NY are you?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Troy, those are nice wheels, should really pop with the subtle orange paint.

Looks like every detail is being covered, that car should be a blast to drive!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

update:

Some updated pics of things we're working on......

The gas door trim & lid are back from paint & installed.

The glove box door is hinged & latched.

The trim for under the tail lights is back from paint. Once we installed it, we could install the tail lights.

You can see the lower bumper grill is also installed now.

More tomorrow.

Archie
Old 01-06-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome thread! Enjoying reading through this, you guys sure know your stuff. Car looks amazing, i cannot wait to see when it is completely done.. it already looks awesome.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice work! Let me preface my comments by saying that I LOVE...LOVE this build. I always liked those cars...and if I ever found a decent deal on one to mess around with, I might pick it up.

The only thing I dont like so far...is the trim and tail lights. It seems like so much work went into the body and interior of the car, and the front end lights have been changed 100%. There HAS to be something that can be done to update the rear. Dont get me wrong...the tail light section is pretty cool as it looks pretty close to the thirdgen TA tail lights.

I was half expecting some custom LED boards behind them, or the "PONTIAC" done up in LEDs...or something. Im sure if you polished them up or smoked them more it would still look awesome though...

Im also curious to see how the black trim that goes around the car will look with that color...which is awesome by the way!

Either way I still love the car!!! Cant wait to see that sucker on the ground and running! Good luck getting it finished up.

J.

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 01-06-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Nice work! Let me preface my comments by saying that I LOVE...LOVE this build. I always liked those cars...and if I ever found a decent deal on one to mess around with, I might pick it up.

The only thing I dont like so far...is the trim and tail lights. It seems like so much work went into the body and interior of the car, and the front end lights have been changed 100%. There HAS to be something that can be done to update the rear. Dont get me wrong...the tail light section is pretty cool as it looks pretty close to the thirdgen TA tail lights.

I was half expecting some custom LED boards behind them, or the "PONTIAC" done up in LEDs...or something. Im sure if you polished them up or smoked them more it would still look awesome though...

Im also curious to see how the black trim that goes around the car will look with that color...which is awesome by the way!

Either way I still love the car!!! Cant wait to see that sucker on the ground and running! Good luck getting it finished up.

J.
I'm glad most everyone likes the car so far.

The tail lights are some old lights that we are just using for the time being. Troy has a shinny new set of lights that will be put in later, that's why we didn't bother to polish these lights up.

Troy wanted the car to retain the "Fiero" identification so the original tail light configuration was retained. Right now the only parts on the outside of the car that are still stock unmodified Fiero parts are the sunroof panel, wiper arms & the tail lights. The stock windshiel is still there but it's been laid back 9* from stock & the side marker lights are still there but they've been painted black to match the side trim. In the interior, the stock steering column & heater/AC controls are still there.

A lot of time & photo shopping was put into the decision on having the side trim or to eliminate the side trim. If you go back in this thread & look at the pics of the car when it was in white primer, you'll see it doesn't look bad with the trim. On a Fiero most of the body panels are joined &/or attached under the side trim. When the side trim is filled in, you can't really service the body panels if there is damage down the road. I will not build cars that can't be serviced if needed. Troy wanted his car to be serviceable. When we're done & the side trim is on, you'll see that it will look nice.

Right now the side trim & a couple of other parts are not done being painted, so it will be next week before the side trim will be on. We've been reassembling this car as fast as we can while waiting on parts to be painted.

Troy will be in town later this week to inspect his car & take some pictures. We will also be taking the car outside for some sound level evaluation. So the car will be on the floor later today with the correct wheels. We have the brake calipers & rotors out being powdercoated to match the paint. The powdercoating guy is still trying to come up with the best color match so there will be no test driving this week without brakes. Besides, we are in the Chicago area & test driving would only throw a bunch of salt & junk all over the underside of the car at this time.

Archie
Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser

J.
I have a place in NJ that is going to fabricate a set of LED panels to go behind the the original taillight covers, It will look awesome when they are done.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

more:

Archie
Old 01-06-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Nice car but love he work on the dash, leaps and bounds above the stocker.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Archie... Fair enough I figured there was a good reason for everything thats being done. Like I said, just having the tail lights polished will probably make them look way better...and since he might be puting LEDs in, it will look killer either way. I didnt know about the panel mounting situation when it comes to deleting the trim. Thats a good enough reason to keep it in my opinion. Im sure it will look great.

I gotta tell ya...Ive been keeping my eye out for a Fiero GT now. Im trying to learn the year differences...because I cant stand the rear tail light section of any fiero other than the one in this thread. Ill never have one this nice...but it seems like it'd make a fun little car to zip around in.

That dash is HOT!!!! Very nice job on that thing.

J.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

c4 corvettes had the trim and im not a fan but you dont need mine
Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

more:

Sorry, I didn't have time to post much earlier today.

I've hed many time in the past 20 year where I've had to do repairs or service on custom or fabricated parts built by some of the various kit car builders. It's not a lot of fun to work on stuff that never was designed to be dis-assembled. So we did this dash so it can be installed into the car all in one unit & so it can easily disconnected. So what you see here is a wire harness we made for the instrument panel area that just plugs right into the Fiero when it's installed. There are a few other wires to hook up but 95% of the connections are right here in these plugs.

Here we have a pic of the tail with the lights turned on & you'll note that the exhaust tips have been reinstalled too.

Lights on at the other end.

Here are some pics of the console reassembled & the dash in the car.

Archie

Quick Reply: LS7 Fiero swap