Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 Fiero swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The black trim can be smoothed, but it's a lot of work. Especially on the bumpers where the strip is actually molded into the bumper, you can't remove it. So you need some type of flexible filler to cover it up. The doors are another tricky area because the door panels flex.

It would be a bit easier on Troyboy's car as it has the IMSA kit on it already, but obviously if he wanted the strip off he could do it. Some people think the trim adds visual interest and leave it on intentionally.

Last edited by jscott1; 05-01-2008 at 04:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-01-2008, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bradl1982
Pretty cool car. You should shave off the black moulding, it would look better.
I looked into that and I didn't like it on this car so I stayed with the side trim , IMO it seems to give this car definition. A photo shop a Friend did for me 2 years ago to help me make up my mind.

but it looks great on this sweet V8 Fiero
Old 05-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PhrektheGhey

There was another person who put the same motor in a fiero, the zz430 clone, claimed it made 430 hp with those restrictive TPI runners, and only put down 298 whp!! Thats right less then 300 hp at the wheels from a claimed 430 crank hp setup. Thats a 30% loss!! That motor was also done turnkey by cletus. That car never ran the qtr mile and broke 3 or 4 axles too. UNRELIABLE!!
Geez, Why do you keep skewing the facts?
The car you are talking about only broke one axle. The axle broke because the person driving it cannot shift. I have rode with him a few times and he is very abusive of his cars. I say "cars" because he has broken his stock Corvette a few times because of how he shifts.

__________________________________________________ _____________

To All, The person "trolling" has a long history of slamming V-8 Fiero's and V8 Archie. Look at ANY video on YouTube or Streetfire and you'll see him and his friends post negative comments all the time on EVERY V-8 Fiero video. Notice how the video links he has posted were made by him? He was banned from the Fiero forum (and a few other forums) for doing the same thing. He has been obsessed with slamming V-8 Fiero's for a number of years.

BTW ~ I have a 1986 Fiero SE with a ZZ4 crate engine which was installed by V8 Archie.
So "for the record":
The ZZ4 is rated at 355hp.
My car dyno'd at 309 rwhp (roughly a 12.5% loss thru the drivetrain)
It runs 0-60 in just under 4.0 seconds.
The best 1/4 mile time is 12.34@111mph
I have been running my car for 3.5 years with a stock Fiero 4-spd manual.
It has seen at least 12 runs at a drag strip and over 100 miles of road course racing.

If you click on this link:
http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi

Scroll down to the 508 rwhp LS1 Fiero complete with Dyno charts.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Phrek has been banned (by a fellow Fiero owner... me). I'm hoping to have my Viper Blue paint job on the Fiero done by early summer.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first car was an 87 Fiero GT. Boy, I thought that thing was the fastest car on the road. I love the idea of the LS7 in them, but those body kits are not for me.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

I didnt realise that people still used the term "troll" lol.
Ls1tech is a performance oriented site, if someone is installing engines into fieros and constantly LOSING power they are going to get called out on it period.

Oreif if you are calling the guys posting facts about this Archie guy trolls, what do you call yourself? You signed up just to defend him or what? Guess that makes you a nut swinging troll. I have been here for quite sometime unlike you I didnt log in just to cosign someone.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Teching In

wow this is an awesome project
keep up the good work
cant wait to see a video of it running
Old 05-01-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey JCurtain,

Chill out. Orief has a long history on Fiero sites. Remember, on the internet, everybody runs 10's and has a 500 hp motor. Right?

Anyone else that bashes in this thread gets a 1 week (or more) ban. Just try me.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Teching In

thanks ------mase
Old 05-02-2008, 06:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JCurtin
I didnt realise that people still used the term "troll" lol.
Ls1tech is a performance oriented site, if someone is installing engines into fieros and constantly LOSING power they are going to get called out on it period.

Oreif if you are calling the guys posting facts about this Archie guy trolls, what do you call yourself? You signed up just to defend him or what? Guess that makes you a nut swinging troll. I have been here for quite sometime unlike you I didnt log in just to cosign someone.
I did not call anyone except "phrek" AKA Shaun a troll. Notice I said "person" (singular) not persons. While there are a couple of posts that have a negative opinion, Those folks did not purposely come here to "troll" nor did they continue to flame others with half truths or lies.

Shaun always skews the facts, takes things out of context, and even post lies in order to flame V-8 Fiero's. I replied to his comment about a particular car which he knows nothing about.

I was not "defending Archie" I merely stated that Shaun has a long history of slamming Archie AND V-8 Fiero's. His obsession with slamming them even extends to him making negative comments when folks post video's on other websites. Then I posted specs on two different cars (mine and Nick Wagoner's) to show that Shaun's stereotyping of all V-8 powered Fiero's was inaccurate/incorrect.

Finally, I have yet to see a V-8 swap in a Fiero "lose power" just because it was installed in a Fiero. There are roughly seven LSx powered Fiero's that I know of and so far all of them make rated power and some make more. While there are a few SBC powered Fiero's that have modifications that cause them to have lower than rated power, that does not mean that ALL V-8 Fiero's suffer from it. With reference to the particular vehicle Shaun mentioned above, Taking an engine and adding a cam that is rated with a particular intake set-up and installing a restrictive TPI system is obviously going to lose power. The owner has also mentioned a few times that the engine had issues getting tuned correctly by multiple shops/places. Which is a typical problem when mis-matching parts on an engine.
In such a case, How is the fact that it's in a Fiero the cause?

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Nice build up , but I just wanted to mention a few things from my experience as a V8 Fiero owner.

Don't solid mount the engine , it will tear the cradle apart. This isn't some 200WHP 350 that is the norm in the Fiero community.

Secondly , are you running a stock Pontiac G6 Tranny behind a LS7?
Open diff?

I would look into something a bit more stout.

other than that awesome build , keep up the good work!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

i don't follow much fiero's but there is a guy i used to work with that was a retired gm tech, and he love fiero's, (he has 3 of them and still buys them). anyways he was telling me all about them, and he mentioned that if you wanted performance on a engine swag one would have to go with the 4-speed it could hold up to about any thing. by the way nice work keep up the one of akind work.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Oreif
If you click on this link:
http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi

Scroll down to the 508 rwhp LS1 Fiero complete with Dyno charts.
After two months of success with this transmission, it ultimately decided to give up the ghost.
I see the transmission worked out real well....
Old 05-02-2008, 05:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,157 Likes on 752 Posts

Hi Archie, one year at World of Wheels you had two Fiero cars that had Italian sports car looking bodies on them, got any pics? Are you located in Grayslake or something?
Old 05-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Hi Archie, one year at World of Wheels you had two Fiero cars that had Italian sports car looking bodies on them, got any pics? Are you located in Grayslake or something?

Those are his Fino and Finale body kits.
You can see them and his other products at www.v8archie.com
He is located in Machesney Park, IL Which is near Rockford, IL
Old 05-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by darkhorizon
I see the transmission worked out real well....
What would you expect with over 500 rwhp on a +20 year transaxle?
One of the reasons why mrtroyboy has opted to use a newer G6 6-spd.
Back in the day the getrag 5-spd's and the Muncie 4-spd's were fine with the 250 to 350 hp engines. +20 years and many miles later, adding twice the power, things are going to break. That will happen with any car not just Fiero's.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

I'm looking into this company to see if they can modify the G6 f40 trans. I know they beef up transmissions for the SABB crew.
http://www.quaife.co.uk/Motorsport
Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Up until 3 years ago I was in the Lake Barrington area. now I'm up on the north side of Rockford. Got 8900 S.F. building up here for same $$$ as 2900 was in Lake Barrington.

I'm not sure which cars you're talking about unless it's the Fino & Finale. they were by Peter Ashdown (< former F1 driver & Lola & Lotus Sports Car champ in Britian) I bought the business from him in 1999.

I've had several cars at WOW & at the "Vette Fest" over the years. They all had Chevy V-8's in them.

Here's a pic of the Finale at one of the WOW shows

Here is the Fino, I think at WOW 2003

I had my LT1 Stinger at McCormick Place several times.

I had my GT40 Replica at WOW one year. The only pic I can find now from WOW was with Bill Wildt from the TV show Motorsports Unlimited getting into it. He did one of his TV shows on that car a few months later.

Here is my fav pic of it.

This is the car I'm showing locally this year, it has an LS1 in it.

Archie
Old 05-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Teching In

OH MY GOD?! those fieros are SICK!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:38 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,157 Likes on 752 Posts

Yup the Fino and the Finale, that might have been the year I had my red '98 Formula there in the MFBA display.

Quick Reply: LS7 Fiero swap