Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MIL & TCC Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIL & TCC Q's

So from some research I have done on here, I take it that the MIL wire is for my check engine light? Is that correct? If so, is there a certain bulb that has to be wired to it, like can it be an LED or does it have to be a conventional style, etc. Also, is it a hot wire when the light is on, meaning all I need to do is hook the MIL wire up one side of a bulb and a ground to the other and I am good?

Next question is similar to the first, in that what does the TCC wire hook to make it work? Is it constantly energized and has to hook to a brake switch that cuts power when engaged, or vise versa? Anyone?? Thanks!!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:38 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chizel
Is that correct? If so, is there a certain bulb that has to be wired to it, like can it be an LED or does it have to be a conventional style, etc.
Yes its for the check engine light
I don`t remember if you can use a LED or not, I know there were a couple threads about it, don`t know if a definite answer was reached.

Too hook a light up, hook one side to the MIL wire and the other side to an IGN + wire

Is it constantly energized and has to hook to a brake switch that cuts power when engaged
Yep, you have it exactly, hooks to ignition + (12V with ign on) and cuts power when brake depressed
Old 06-10-2008, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Next question is similar to the first, in that what does the TCC wire hook to make it work? Is it constantly energized and has to hook to a brake switch that cuts power when engaged, or vise versa? Anyone?? Thanks!!
To be clear, the MIL light is wired "backwards" from the typical bulb installation. The MIL feed from the PCM provides a ground signal, so you will need to come up with a separate 12V(+) accessory feed.

Good luck.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

LED works fine for MIL, just make sure the anode goes to the PCM. The only thing that can't use an LED is the alternator warning light (on applications that have one).
Old 06-10-2008, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use a LED you will have to put a resistor on the positive circuit to drop the voltage.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tk-mpl
If you use a LED you will have to put a resistor on the positive circuit to drop the voltage.
unless it's a "12V" LED that has a built-in resistor.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G-Body
Yes its for the check engine light
I don`t remember if you can use a LED or not, I know there were a couple threads about it, don`t know if a definite answer was reached.

Too hook a light up, hook one side to the MIL wire and the other side to an IGN + wire

Yep, you have it exactly, hooks to ignition + (12V with ign on) and cuts power when brake depressed

I'm confused now. Does the tcc wire connect to the output of the brake switch?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

The tcc needs to see +12v except when the barke is engaged. older car brake switches want work but I have seen this one on ebay for the ls1 application.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TCC-B...spagenameZWD1V

Thanks guys it appears I have my mil light wired backards.

Last edited by rockytopper; 06-12-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rockytopper
The tcc needs to see +12v except when the barke is engaged. older car brake switches want work but I have seen this one on ebay for the ls1 application.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TCC-B...spagenameZWD1V

Thanks guys it appears I have my mil light wired backards.

I just went to autozone and picked up a 1996 firebird brake light switch with 6 wires. It controls the brake light and the tcc. Got it for $5.99!
Old 06-14-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks again guys, I switched the mil wire and now my check engine light comes on when I turn the key on and goes out when I start it. Now I comformation that all is well sense the light is going off as it should be. This forum rocks.