Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Gen Fbody motor mounts in 1st Gen Fbody.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4th Gen Fbody motor mounts in 1st Gen Fbody.

Has anyone tried building a new set of frame stands for the stock 1st gen subframe to accept the standard LS1 motor mount? My subframe already has the stock engine stands removed. My plan is to build my own mounts, although I would like to retain the factory 4th gen motor mounts if at all possible (for both part availability and cost savings since they came with the motor.
Has anyone else done this in the past? If so, would you happen to have any pictures or insight into how they were built?
At this point my only concern is how wide the factory mounts are. With proper engine placement, I feel that close to half of the mount will hang behind the front crossmember. Would this be an issue? How much torque would be applied to this area given good traction conditions and between 400-450 HP at the wheels?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

I haven't seen anyone do that. BRP makes their own stands that use something that looks like a control arm bushing, and everyone else just uses stock stands and adapter plates.

What are you trying to accomplish by using the 4th gen mounts?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's simply a thought I had as I began to plan my drivetrain mock up. The 4th gen mounts are currently still on the engine and my subframe is missing the original frame stands. As it stands, my options are to either purchase the stock 1st gen stands, motor mounts, and engine plates, or fabricate the mounts myself. Fabrication sounds like a much better idea to me since I would maintain ultimate control of my engine placement.
Having looked at the BRP stands, that's almost exactly what I've envisioned doing. The mount holes they're using are already in the subframe, so no additional work is required there. The only difference in my original thought was to utilize the 4th gen mount rather than the tube and control arm bushings. In utilizing the 4th gen setup, I may already have a viable rubber mount rather than paying the $50 for a set of bushings if I were to approximate the BRP setup.
It also appears that their mount does hang off the rear of the subframe a little, so this might not be as big of an issue as I thought.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Do a search on here for under nova,A guy did just this in his 68-72 nova.He cut the bottom off the stock ls1 mounts and just welded a new plate on the bottom.I would of done this also if I had not made up my own plates already.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see no reason why you can't build your own to your build.. it has been done for ages with all forms of car building.. a Gen III/IV engine is no different than building and modifying any other engine to adapte to any other car. I know JohnB build his own mounts for his Monte. I have modified my Frame mounts on my build.

If you have a welder, cutting equipement and other tool, then all you need it some plate or flat steel, cut to size and shape.. You could mock up with plywood 1st. Drop the engine in a few time to measure and check and the engine is sitting right where you want it to be. Done deal.. !
Old 06-10-2008, 03:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

These plates work perfect
http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc...457/C/S%202370
Old 06-10-2008, 06:23 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 1'' set back plates will clear the hooker swap headers.

im using a set of the regular motor plates and i had to dent my header slightly.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Carshopinc.com
Those plates won't work at all if you don't have the frame side stands to support them

I'm also looking for the ability to set the engine where I want it for oil pan, accessory, and header clearance as I'll be making most of these components myself as well.
I have no doubts that they can be made. I have all the essential tools, materials, and skills. I was just wondering if anyone had done it in the past or had found any reason this would not work. I guess I'll just have to give it a shot. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the 4th gen stands. I cut them where the two tabs come down and around, then welded a plate to them. Worked good and cheap.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

I used the 4th gen mounts. Just got the motor in the right spot then measured to make the stands. Not too hard. If you don't have a welder just get a shop to do it won't cost much.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
I used the 4th gen stands. I cut them where the two tabs come down and around, then welded a plate to them. Worked good and cheap.
I thought about doing that, although for some reason thought they were cast. What composition are they? Did you have any trouble welding a plate to the original stands?

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Fbody motor mounts in 1st Gen Fbody.