Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can 06 LS2 engine be swapped and run off stock ECM and modded harness w/o reprogram?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can 06 LS2 engine be swapped and run off stock ECM and modded harness w/o reprogram?

I have recently acquired a complete 06 LS-2 out of a trailblazer SS. When I say complete I mean everything from complete exhaust all the way down to the stock air filter. I have the whole body harness, transmission, gas pedal and all. So what I am asking is it possible to just trim this harness down and fool the drivetrain in running in my S-10? I have no plans to modify the engine right now and I want to try to run stock exhaust maniifolds for now too. So would the engine run? I havent seen anything stating that they have a Vats system like the F-bodys. Thanks Ed
Old 06-16-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can respond to a portion of this:

TBSS manifolds won't work on the S10. The drivers side interferes with the steering column right at the gearing gear box:

The oil pan won't work because of the sump:

You'll need something like the Hummer H3 Alpha or the 2005 LS2 Corvette pan (with subsequent front crossmember modification)

With the proper mounts, the motor and trans will drop in (2WD only)

The TBSS cooling fan can't be used.

The DBW can be used, you'll just need to modify the inside firewall for the pedal:

The A/C compressor won't fit unless you notch the frame rail and box it back in.

The year of the truck will also determine how your instruments will work.
Gen 1 trucks use a mechanical speedometer cable in pre 87 trucks.
Gen 2 trucks moved to serial data for some of the guages, including the speedometer in around 98 ish.

Current Performance Wiring (google) is usually able to provide an appropriate harness that is "plug and Play" for LS1/2 conversions into S10's. He could also handle the PCM program.

He will soon be marketing long tube headers and a radiator/shroud/twin puller setup with an A/C condenser for Gen 2 LS motor conversions.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The TBSS front accessories can be used since they are the same as a truck. It depends on the radiator and fan combo you use as to whether they will fit or not. On mine I went with a 4.3 radiator and the flexalite fans and it would not clear the truck accessories so I went with the c5 vette stuff. On my setup I need to get some pictures but have not had time. It will idle sitting still with the a/c on and not overheat in 100 degree weather and the a/c cools perfectly. I will update you around the middle of August and see if the results are still the same. At this point according to my tech 2 even after idling sitting still on the tarmac for 45 minutes she is still only up to 230 which is fine and the fans are on high. As soon as you hit the road she cools back off to 210 and is a happy camper. I live in south texas if it stays cools here it will stay cool anywhere.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Veteran

About the wiring. If you completely gut the s10 wiring and install every last everything from the trail blazer this includes the forward lighting harness fuse box every last ground every ******* thing from the trailblazer then it will start and run in your s10. You will have to modify the trailblazer cluster in some way to fit your truck and don't bother trying to integrate your oem s series gauges if you go this route.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses, the truck is a 93 4x4 with a factory digital dash that I swapped in so I was going to try to keep that operational, by leaving the factory pcm in the vehicle and tying in the 06 pcm to control the engine. As far as the A/C that inst much of an issue as the truck doesn't have factory air, so I was going to deleted it from the engine, but notch the frame out during the swap in case I change my mind down the road. I am trying to build a daily driver so thats why I am trying to keep the drivetrain as stock as possible. I knew the oil pan is definitely not going to work, and I was planing on trying to make the H3 pan work, this is going to be an AWD setup which I got from the TBSS. If the pan doesn't work I will have to take the expensive route and buy the oil pan from turbo time that will fit the truck, they designed them to fit the Typhoons. Phil thanks for the heads up on the exhaust manifolds, do you think that I can just put some kind of flex joint on the steering shaft to gains some flexibility to clear that exhaust?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Or just get headers that fit the swap.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Teching In

The only reason I am trying to avoid going the aftermarket header route is because I dont think there is anyone out there that makes an LS header for an S-10 4x4 application. Seems like it would be an expensive trial and error process of buying them.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

aahhhh... didn't see the 4x4 part.
I'm not sure on that one either.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Teching In

yeah not too much action in the 4x4 ls1 conversion area. My best source of info is the GMC Typhoon board when they convert them to LS V8's thats the closest thing to what I am trying to do.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There aren't any "off-the-shelf" headers for a Gen 1 4x4 LS conversion (that I'm aware of)

I'd recommend converting the torsion bar front suspension to a "coil-over" design. You'll pick all the space you need for headers.

The money you spend on the coilovers, you'll save on headers, so it's about a wash.

http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52967

Nice oil pan too!

Phil
Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks Phil I am already aware of that forum and those parts, I was planning on ordering the engine mounts and the coil-overs from turbo time, but the price of that oil pan is a bit steep in my opinion. So I am going to try my best to make the H3 Pan work. As far as the first question I called Current Performance and I think its just easier to send them my factory harness and computers and let them sort it out.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

The digital dash is not run by the oem computer in your 93 so you can retain all of it's functions except for the TACH there is not a way that I am aware of to make it read correctly. All of the oil pressure etc is fed by dedicated sending units that can be installed onto your LS swap engine. As far as it being a 4x4 that is a whole new can of worms in regard to your oil pan and exhaust. This is where a double barrel cannon loaded with ben franklins starts to come in.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:45 AM
On The Tree

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd127.htmThis will make the tach work. If you want the A/C to work correctly you need the BCM from the Trail Blazer.

Last edited by ssvolvo; 06-19-2008 at 04:47 AM. Reason: bad link
Old 06-19-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Even using the tach adaptor I am not sure if the tach can be made to work. It has to be s 6 cyl signal in order for it to function correctly. Now I am not sure how long it has been since it has been updated but the book from jtr.com says that the tach signal has not been successfully converted using the tach adaptor to function with the digital cluster.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

I don't know why that JTR book is even still around, it is a dinosaur and should have gone extinct long ago.
Half of what is in that book is outdated and nothing but redneck engine swap info at it's finest.

That tach module will work fine, we have used them on those clusters with no problem.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Well one thing about the tach even if I can hook it up and get it calibrated properly the factory dash redlines at 5500, I think the LS2 spins up to 6500 so im not sure what I will do for a tach. Maybe I would hook it up just to make it functional but I still would have to take the aftermarket route to see full read out of RPMs.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Thats nice to know my brother is fixing to do a vortec 350 swap into his 92 and I had already swapped in a digital cluster but he nor I were too excited about a non functioning tach. That was the main reason I put that cluster in. Sweet converter box and good to go.

Quick Reply: Can 06 LS2 engine be swapped and run off stock ECM and modded harness w/o reprogram?