Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77-85 Caprice/Roadmaster peeps I have q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:10 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Default 77-85 Caprice/Roadmaster peeps I have q's

I'm going to start buying swap parts to swap an LSx into my '51 Merc, which has a later model frame and floorpans from a 77-85 Caprice or GM equivalent. Car currently has a SBC, TH350, and I'm assuming a 8.5 10 bolt.

I've searched and looked at a lot of threads, but if KC Henry or any of the other Caprice guys (any swap guys really) could look over my q's that would be great.

1) Which motor mounts?

2) Running intank fuel pumps or ??? If or, running custom rails or '97 rails to run the return back?

3) F-Body oil pan for the win?

4) F-body accessories fit good or what are you running?

5) Steering linkage?

6) How are you venting fuel tank?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 07:36 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Not even Pat (Stu Cool) posting? I see how it is.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Use the Search button it works well
Old 08-13-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLWN1
Use the Search button it works well
LOL, what a jackbutt. Wouldn't it have been easier to just hit the back button?

1) I am using TD mounts. They don't line up with the stock 79 clamshell bolts the best, but I got them in there.

2) I have an Aeromotive Sunami fuel pump, but not the Sunami one. (Same pump, just doesn't have the japanese symbol on it)

3) F-Body oil pan with a crossmember notch.

4) F-Body accesories wouldnt work on mine. I couldn't even bolt up the A/C brackets, cause the passenger motor mount plate was in the way. WAY in the way. I bought a Synister Products front drive kit cause I was gonna turbo the LS1, but I have since decided not to do the turbo thing yet, cause the turbo I got was WAY too big to fit where I wanted to put it.

5) Steering I changed because of making turbo headers to a 3/4 DD shaft stuck in the end of the stock GM column down to the steering box where I used a Borgeson vibration reducing u-joint.

6) Fuel tank venting I have a vented fuel cap and that's it. I used it this way when I had the LT1 in the car. I used the stock evap canister line as the fuel return, and pulled the little check valve out at the tank. I am going to maybe go to an intank pump and use a tank from an 86 or so Caprice with TBI.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

So you had to change the steering linkage due to clearance issues? Do you have a pic?

I think I have enough room in the Merc for the F-Body accessories.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
So you had to change the steering linkage due to clearance issues? Do you have a pic?

I think I have enough room in the Merc for the F-Body accessories.

I changed the steering linkage becuase the way I wanted to route the rear 2 tubes on my turbo headers wouldn't work with the stock joint at the steering column. I can post a picture when I get home if you like. It should be fine if you are using a regular header or a stock manifold.

KC Henry said he used the cheapest Hedman headers he could get at Summit. They are 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 stepped I believe. He said he had NO problems with them at all. I am going to get Pacesetters I think. Coated and 1 3/4 the whole way.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Thanks that's extremely helpful. I have a SBC and it has longtubes already and I think I'm running a stock Caprice rack and steering linkage but I'll check. Maybe I'll pick up some long tubes and have some manifolds ready just in case so I can still get the car running.

Are you saying the Transdapt motor mounts you used barely worked and others would work better?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Also anyone know if a 4L80E will fit under stock Caprice floor pans?
Old 08-15-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

John

just thinking out side the box here..

Even tho you have the B-Body front clip.. what is it like around your firewall.. many will use a style of plates becuase they are desinged to fit the engine correctly due to Fireway, trans tunnel, x-members, etc.. issues.

So with your car being custom with mis-matched frame/body and may have a completely issue of clearances around the firewall, tunnel and x-members.. Why not juse use some old style BRP plates (they way you have to option to use the A/C.. and then just modify or build new frame stands and just position the engine / trans were if fits best !..

One thing about swaps.. you really have to workoutside the box and just come up with something completely new that will work for you.

just a few more .02 cents..
Old 08-15-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you for the PM Pro Stock John. I hope to see the progress of your build-up. Feel free to ask anymore questions that may come up and I'll do my best to help out!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Here's where I'm sitting at now.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Thanks guys. I am going by the car on Friday and will eyeball the steering linkage and take some measurements.

Quick Reply: 77-85 Caprice/Roadmaster peeps I have q's