Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

3pt STB on vert helps or no?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009 | 10:06 AM
Banned

Default 3pt STB on vert helps or no?

ive read the suspension section and the most of them say the STB are worthless which i can see their points on a hard top. Now with a vert ive read about the cowl shake we endure. So i was thinking of using a 3pt like the hotchkis to help tie the front together. i have a tubular k member so the extra strenght from a 3pt would be benefical?
Old 11-28-2009 | 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i feel the difference with a 2 point stb. same goes for subframe connectors. then, even after all that, when i put a good tunnel brace in (instead of that flimsy x brace), it made a good difference but kept scraping the ground in my lowered car. going by my own experience, any stiffening you can do for these convertibles is going to help.
then again, i run r compound tires and push the limit very hard on some corners. regular street driving like any sane person - you probably won't notice the STB.
Old 11-28-2009 | 07:35 PM
Launching!

I rarely push my car that hard but I can feel the difference after installing my three point STB. As BobDoLe says, "any stiffening you can do for these convertibles is going to help". I did not put SFCs or a STB on my 91 Z28 vert and it literally shook itself apart.
Old 11-28-2009 | 11:59 PM
Banned

well i made my own Subframe stiffeners and i have a welded 6pt.

now the lack of supported info on the urban legend of the windshield cracking cause of the 3pt STB, what are some of your actual takes on this with using a 3pt STB.

i dont need opinions, i need actual facts if possible

also is hotchkis only manufactor making the 3pt?
Old 11-29-2009 | 08:50 AM
Launching!

G2 makes a two, three, and four point STB. Link is in my sig.
Old 11-29-2009 | 09:30 PM
On The Tree

The three point is the way to go in the vert. This made the car feel alot more firm, like your control is better. Strut tower brace and sub frames are few of the best mods i have done.

Chris
Old 11-29-2009 | 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LPE Z Convt
The three point is the way to go in the vert. This made the car feel alot more firm, like your control is better. Strut tower brace and sub frames are few of the best mods i have done.

Chris
i hear you. i've been running shock/strut tower braces on almost every car i've owned for the last 10 years. even with hard tops, i can't stand the way cars don't feel when you plant the car into a hard corner without them.
Old 11-29-2009 | 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

So you guys say a 3 or 4 pt is the best?
Old 11-30-2009 | 06:55 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

I've seen reports of cracked windshields from a 3-pt STB, so I went w/ a 2-pt BMR STB. I think it helps a little, but not nearly as much as SFCs.
Old 11-30-2009 | 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
I've seen reports of cracked windshields from a 3-pt STB, so I went w/ a 2-pt BMR STB. I think it helps a little, but not nearly as much as SFCs.
did you see actual reports or were they more of your typical internet urban legend?
Old 11-30-2009 | 08:54 PM

A 2-point eliminated all the cornering shake on my
car.
Old 12-01-2009 | 11:22 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheFallen
did you see actual reports or were they more of your typical internet urban legend?
Unless the posters were lying about having their windshields replaced due to cracks originating at the base of the glass where the 3rd point attaches to the cowl, I'd have to say these were actual reports. However, were there aggrivating circumstances (such as getting airborn over RR tracks just prior to the cracking)?? I can only speculate.
Old 12-01-2009 | 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i tried to dig up anything on 3pt stb cracking a windshield. i was sure i'd find at least one story where someone reported this happening to them. to my surprise, all i could find was people spreading around that it could happen. the only actual reports of cracked windshields were from a guy who said his friend cracked the windshield on a stock ss (no mods) and another guy who said he cracked his windshield from too much power (no stb).

here's a guy who cracked his windshield originating at the base of the glass where a 3rd point would connect - he confirmed that he did not have any stb.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ch-torque.html

someone with better search skills maybe want to confirm the 3pt stb thing?
Old 12-01-2009 | 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
i tried to dig up anything on 3pt stb cracking a windshield. i was sure i'd find at least one story where someone reported this happening to them. to my surprise, all i could find was people spreading around that it could happen. the only actual reports of cracked windshields were from a guy who said his friend cracked the windshield on a stock ss (no mods) and another guy who said he cracked his windshield from too much power (no stb).

here's a guy who cracked his windshield originating at the base of the glass where a 3rd point would connect - he confirmed that he did not have any stb.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ch-torque.html

someone with better search skills maybe want to confirm the 3pt stb thing?
that is what i was talking about. the net always has and will continue on spreading stories of things. Thats why i asked if urban legend or fact.

from a triangulate point of view i can only see the 3 pt helping in support, strenght. not looking for autocross or etc advantages just dont want a to weak of front end with the tubular K member and additional weight of turbo setup.
Old 12-02-2009 | 01:25 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Man, this was so long ago, I put my STB on in 2002, back then I don't think LS1Tech.com even existed yet. I was seeking advice from that "other" LS1 web site and the popular "story" then was to stay away from the 3pt-STBs for this reason. That site has crashed since then losing all those old posts. But several people made the same recommendation, and I could've sworn that someone had even posted a pic of a cracked windshield w/ a 3pt-STB, which was enough to convince me to go w/ a 2pt. However, I can't seem to find anything conclusive now either. I did find this thread where a guy claims the 3rd-pt mount causes the metal to bend/crack:

Originally Posted by madmax
Another thing to keep in mind about that 3rd point on the firewall, which is what customblackbird is referring to, is another weak link. I'm sure it helps with it connected, but I have seen some cars with those bend and even crack the metal there. It might help to reinforce that area or even install a larger plate behind the one from the STB to help distribute the load over a larger area.
OK, they're talking about 3rd gens, but undoubtedly the same type of forces would exist in a 4th gen. On the other hand this must not be a widespread problem now otherwise we shouldn't have any problem finding pictures of cracked windshields w/ 3pt-STBs.

Quick Reply: 3pt STB on vert helps or no?