Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Has anyone hear cracked their windshield because of too much torque?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anyone hear cracked their windshield because of too much torque?

I have heard that it happens pretty often on Fox body stangs, but I havent heard of any LS1 fbods doing this. Well it happened to me at the end of last year. I guess its my own fault, because I have just been adding more and more go fast parts without without ever worrying about suspension and chassis components. Now I have a huge crack down the center of my windshield and it has to be replaced before I can take my car to the track in spring.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's very odd. I've never heard of it. There are people running in the 9s with the stock windshield with no problem.

Were you using a 3 pt strut tower brace?
Old 01-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

An SFC and STB will stiffen the car to prevent body flex. It may be body flex that cracked the windshield.

jd13 raised a good point about 3point STBs. There have been some reports of them causing cracked windshields.

--VIP1
Old 01-30-2004, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any other reason that you believe the crack is the result of the power your engine is making? There are a whole slew of reasons that a windshield might crack, and plenty of anemic commuter cars that wind up having to replace cracked windshields as well, so I'm just curious why you think your cracked windshield is the result of engine torque.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jRaskell
Is there any other reason that you believe the crack is the result of the power your engine is making? There are a whole slew of reasons that a windshield might crack, and plenty of anemic commuter cars that wind up having to replace cracked windshields as well, so I'm just curious why you think your cracked windshield is the result of engine torque.
Im almost 100% sure it was from body flex, because I was at the track and just as I launched I heard a pop sound somewhere from in front of me and to my right. I didnt even notice the crack, I just focussed on hitting all the gears as quick as possible. Then when I turned into the return lane I noticed it. It goes from the exact center of the windshield all the way to the passanger side upper corner.
I dont have any chassis stiffening stuff on my car right now and it twists pretty hard when I hook up. Thanks for all the responces guys, Im new to this place and you guys all seem pretty knowledgable and helpful.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd get some KBDD's if your twisting that badly.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In my 81 Z I did, and a buddy of mine did it with his 79 Nova.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

I've seen an old Chevelle shatter a back glass at the track, but never heard of it in a new car. There's a first time for everything.

Quick Reply: Has anyone hear cracked their windshield because of too much torque?