Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Side trip to southern NM & AZ areas

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 530 Likes on 380 Posts

Default Side trip to southern NM & AZ areas

We just completed a Route 66 trek in our T/A. I will post photos and details of that wonderful journey in the Firebird section once I get all the photos together.
In the meantime I will post here in the convertible section about our side trips off Rte 66 further south in NM and AZ. Record cold and even rain was in the forecast while we visited in late April but we still put the top down for parts of our days.
We were actually towed by AAA at this sign in Roswell as we picked up a screw/bolt that flatteened the right rear tire. 2 hours later we were patched up and on our way to the UFO museum. The photos have info under each one to show where the photo was taken. Mt Lemmon is outside Tucson and very scenic.
Even though our F-bodies are 20+ years old there is no reason not to take a nice trip in them if they are in good shape. I did worry about the a/c a bit, since it's never been touched in it's life, but it was ice cold when we needed it. Very impressive in my book. Enjoy these if you like until I post the Route 66.photos. Sorry about one of the photos being duplicated. I can't seem to remove it now.

Welcome to Roswell NM

Roswell UFO museum

Chiricahua national monument

Mt Lemmon

Mt Lemmon

Saguaro national park

Saguaro national park

Saguaro national park

Saguaro national park

Sonoran desert

Cactus wren??

Bear chilling out at the Sonoran Desert Museum

The following users liked this post:
JoshHefnerX (05-13-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 232 Likes on 184 Posts

Beautiful pictures, I love the southwest US. About 20 yrs ago my son and I made the trip from IN to my parent's winter home in Green Valley, AZ (driving my '99 Dakota R/T since I had a load of dad's wood-working tools to bring back to IN). We stopped at the St. Louis Arch for some photos and then stayed our first night w/ my brother in Kansas City. Next day we drove down to Roswell for our 2nd night stay, traveling through Oklahoma City, Amarillo and Clovis. 3rd day on the road we stopped at White Sands for lunch and made it to GV, AZ before sun-down. A week later traveling home we drove up to tour the south rim of the Grand Canyon and got to the Meteor Crater 15 mins before they closed, time enough to take photos and buy some souvenirs, stopping for the 1st night in Holbrook, AZ. Next day we hauled to Tulsa, OK for our 2nd night and made it back home to NE IN by 10 PM the next night. We didn't get as far off of the beaten path as it appears you did, but we got some great memories (and lots of pics and 4 hrs of video).
NC01TA (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

^^ Thanks! You did a lot of great stops yourself and saw many of the sites we did. We have been to Meteor Crater 3 times now as we are big fans of the movie Starman, the classic sci-fi / road trip movie. You will probably recognize more of the sites when I post the Rte 66 photos.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Great pictures so far! Haha....I especially like the shot of the black bear. And the car looks great, as always; you must've washed it every 12 hours or so.

I've always been interested in seeing the southwest, but for much of my life travel hasn't really been an option due to some family obligations. Maybe one day I'll venture out of my tri-state area and see these beautiful regions.
NC01TA (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

The Rte 66 photos are now posted in the Firebid section. I made two parts since I had so many photos. Here are two shortcuts if you want to see them.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...am-pt-1-a.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...am-pt-2-a.html
Che70velle (05-15-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 232 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I've always been interested in seeing the southwest, but for much of my life travel hasn't really been an option due to some family obligations. Maybe one day I'll venture out of my tri-state area and see these beautiful regions.
Definitely worth a road-trip. What blew my mind at one point on my trip was at one point along I-10 in NM or AZ (can't remember exactly), I had my truck's cruise control set to its max (85 MPH) and there was a mile-long freight train running along side me parallel with the highway, and I was just barely passing it! I don't think there is anywhere else in the US w/ train tracks that long and straight you'll see that.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I take mine on trips all the time- dont even think twice about it- Even my 72 I will drive around an hour 1 way to go to a car show- The ACs in these cars (4th Gen) are absolutely LEGENDARY
NC01TA (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 07:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by toplesswhite
I take mine on trips all the time- dont even think twice about it- Even my 72 I will drive around an hour 1 way to go to a car show- The ACs in these cars (4th Gen) are absolutely LEGENDARY
I guess so. I'm just thinking of the past in the 70's and 80's when a/c units barely lasted 5 years without needs or at least a re-charge. It's the same as the 2,000 miles oil changes. It's hard to think 'modern' sometimes for us older guys.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I forgot about these desert big horn sheep that were walking towrads our car on the drive around Taos, NM. Normally they are butting heads during the mating season but Spring is the social season. If I had a Dodge Ram truck I would have made sure to get these guys with the truck in a photo.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Definitely worth a road-trip. What blew my mind at one point on my trip was at one point along I-10 in NM or AZ (can't remember exactly), I had my truck's cruise control set to its max (85 MPH) and there was a mile-long freight train running along side me parallel with the highway, and I was just barely passing it! I don't think there is anywhere else in the US w/ train tracks that long and straight you'll see that.
This reminds of an event I had one time in my Nova, I was able to pace a freight train for quite some time at about 45-50mph. This was an area in far northern IL where there's at least one set of tracks that runs for rather long stretches without any break. I thought that was pretty memorable, but I can't imagine being able to do that at 80+ mph!

Not sure when I'll get to the southwest, though I do hope to eventually, but we are planning a small road trip for the next Great American Eclipse in 2024. We plan to be in southern Indiana for this, and then head to Bowling Green afterward for the Corvette museum. This event coincides almost perfectly (within about a month) with our 25th wedding anniversary, so it seemed to be a fun way to mark the occasion. The weather can be iffy in these parts in early April, but if it happens to be nice enough we'd love to take something fun on the trip...perhaps a Corvette which I haven't yet bought.
NC01TA (05-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Side trip to southern NM & AZ areas