Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Raggtop cleaner highly recommended!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Raggtop cleaner highly recommended!

I used the Raggtop cleaning kit yesterday and I am very impressed with the results. I used to use the meguiars top cleaner, but have now thrown it away. Thanks to the members of this list for recommending it. My top looks new again!

There are several places online that you can buy it from.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Love the Raggtopp cleaner...
Old 05-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Launching!

I may have to try that, these white tops get dirty real easy. I tried 303 and it worked but not quite as good as I was expecting.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought some other stuff but haven't used it. Wanted to use the gm recommended product which I believe is ragg-topp. I ordered some, should be here any day now, can't wait to protect and clean my top! I'll write a brief review on here too after I do it
Old 06-08-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did the Ragg-Topp tm cleaner and it worked very well, though I can still slightly see the few small stains a bit. I liked the way that as soon as I brushed it in, it lathered right up a bit, looked like it was working and easy to see where I had already been.

One problem was my nice soft brush shed thousands of it's fibers all over the top. Any recommendations for a good applicator would save a ton of time in LINT TAPE ROLLING!!! Make sure you have a few of those around at all times I say. I didn't quite go through one, but you might. Those lint tape rollers are great for a quick cleaning of the top.

Another problem is as you are doing it, dust, debris, pollen, and who knows what seems to snow down on the car as you are lint rolling the top. I actually pulled it into my dark garage to finish it was such a pollution blizzard.

The protectant went on nice and seemed to work well. One problem to avoid is to have a blow drier to dry unless you have a lot of sun time to work with. Even then, the sun probably wont be hitting the far corners unless you live near the equator, which I'm in Massachusetts near the arctic circle so it's worse. I can see already that where it wasn't dry before I applied the protectant, the water doesn't bead up there. I'll try touching it up.

Hmm now that I think about it I need to clean out the trunk area where the top opens into. It seems to come out of there dirty now that I think of it I noticed that on the inerior ceiling today.

I recommend doing it the day before, not the day after you wax your car. My car needed wax too bad to wait for the top cleaner/protectant to get here. Still looks great though I think now that I washed it again today.

Unfortunately I still see slight water wavy marks even after waxing. Maybe I need more wax or zaino or something. I might strip it down and claybar it though. Tough to make the time though in between washing it all the time and the rest of my life and actually driving it!
Old 06-08-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

I got a soft bristle brush from Summit, and my latest from wal mart in the automotive section. With lots of sun, it dries quickly
Old 06-08-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

did the summit brush leave bristle pieces on the top? Mine is from walmart and it leaves bristle pieces all over the top like lint. Have you used the walmart one yet? Did it shed like mine? if it didn't, any chance you could take a picture of the brush, I want one that doesn't shed. Would save a ton of time.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad ran the car through the car wash a few years back ( I know it was a sin to do it, but he was trying to be a nice guy and get it washed), and when it came out, the tan top had a ton of black streaks in it. Oil must have gotten on the cleaning parts inside and got it on the top. Anyway, he was pissed of course and they got some stuff from gm in a silver can that literally made the top look PERFECT! we still had some left for small use but it had no marking on it so we didnt know what it was called. We tried going to a dealer to buy it from parts, but it must have been discontinued or something. That was the best cleaner I have ever seen for our tops. Anyone know what it was or where to get more?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Could someone point me to a link for this raggtop? My tan top gets real dirty where the trunk covers it, like Shooter_Jay said.
Nice write up by the way Shooter_Jay!!

Thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got mine from here but you can find it elsewhere maybe cheaper?

http://www.topoftheline.com/index.html
Old 06-11-2005, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

A site sponsor Afterthoughts Auto carries it. You can also find it on most detailing websites. Google it and click on Froogle and you will come up with lots of links too. I usually get it from Afterthoughts. They are all relatively the same price after you figure in shipping anyway.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

I got mine from detailers paradise. It was on a link on here somewhere. The wal mart brush is gray with blue bristles. It did not shed on the car at all.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, my car and my girl both get the rag once a month.

Also purchase from Afterthoughts.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AnotherScreenName
Yeah, my car and my girl both get the rag once a month.

Also purchase from Afterthoughts.

That's good. I have a question though: Maybe I'm the one that hasn't figured out the gist to it yet, but man, that stuff is a pita to apply! How do you guys do it w/o getting some on the car by overspray? Does anybody have a killer routine they'd like to share?
Old 06-23-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't spray it right to the edges, only near. When I brushed it in, it was easy to spread it to the edges. What little overspray I did have was pretty easy to wipe away. I was considering masking around the top, but I guess the lazier side of me decided against it.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, I need to find a lint free brush too....

(all ears here...)
Old 07-05-2005, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I have a question though: Maybe I'm the one that hasn't figured out the gist to it yet, but man, that stuff is a pita to apply! How do you guys do it w/o getting some on the car by overspray?

Unlatch the top and put newspaper between the top and the windshield and between the top and the side windows. Open the trunk and hold newspaper over the paint and tuck some down the side of the top over the rear fenderwell. Im too lazy to tape it off, this works good enough for me.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

That sounds pretty damned good!
Old 07-06-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal
That sounds pretty damned good!

Also, I think the protectant washes off pretty easily.
I'm going to apply it again one of these days and then dry clean only on the top(lint roller/spot cleaning).
Old 07-13-2005, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pyro97
I may have to try that, these white tops get dirty real easy. I tried 303 and it worked but not quite as good as I was expecting.
I tried Ragtopp on my white top and was unimpressed. I have some light stains that it didn't budge. I'm thinking of trying Bleche White. Anyone ever try that?

Quick Reply: Raggtop cleaner highly recommended!