Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Leaking Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Convertible

Hi Everyone,

For years my convertible has been leaking at this area (please refer to pic). The pic refers to the leaky area on my passenger side- top window where the convertible top meets the top of the windshield.

Any suggestions what to do?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
Derek
Attached Thumbnails Leaking Convertible-derek.jpg  
Old 06-05-2007, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

BUMP, mine does the same... I was wondering if theres a fix for this as well.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 507 Likes on 366 Posts

That seems to be an area quite common for leaks on both sides. Just from personal experience I had a very small leak there and just made the rubber weatherstripping seal as soft and pliable as possible. It stopped the leak! I used both 303 and Armorall for starters, just massaging the stuff into the weatherstripping, then wiping it down as they can attract dirt if left greasy and wet. To top it off I used a little of the recommended dielectric silicone grease (GM part #12345579) and the rubber is perfect for almost two years now. If your rubber is just too hard and you are unable to get it pliable again then I'm not sure if there is a product out there, but maybe someone else knows.
Note* I know there are many Armorall (and related product) haters out there but I have never had an issue with the protectorant products in 11 years of F-body ownership and years of use on other cars as well. A lot of rumors out there since way back when. The only negative from my experience is the dirt factor when used on exterior areas.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

i have leaks on both sides of the car, its pretty bad. I have to sometimes drive with a towel so i dont get soaked while driving on my lap. Seriously, it that bad!!!

I thought about swapping the weatherstripping.... anyone done this before?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used di-electric grease to stop both water leaks and wind noise for years. My wifes grand Cherokee is like a different truck after I freshen up the weather stripping.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I used both 303 and Armorall for starters, just massaging the stuff into the weatherstripping, then wiping it down as they can attract dirt if left greasy and wet.
what is this 303 that you speak of? cuz mine drivers side leaks after i wash it....its pretty annoying
Old 06-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Question

Mine leaks in the front and back, also my back window leaks...is there something I should use... I washed my car about two weeks ago and the next day we where fixing the back seat, removed the bolt and found a ¼ inch of water. I was thinking about using silicone but my husband told me not to. Any suggestions.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stang Killer
what is this 303 that you speak of? cuz mine drivers side leaks after i wash it....its pretty annoying
It is a product made in Palo Cedro, CA (very near to me) and I think it is a vastly better product than Armorall. I have used it for years on my cars and my boat. It is called 303 protectant. I don't know about other parts of the country but here you can purchase it at AutoZone, Kragen, etc. Or I buy it in gal jugs from them direct. Works great on lots of stuff

Their web site is http://www.303products.com I don't know if it is okay to post it here, but anyway, very good stuff.

They have a carpet/upostly cleaner that works wonders for me.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

I don't drive my car in the rain, so I've never experienced a problem in that area. But it appears that another possibility could be the drain hole in the windshield top weatherstripping that appears to run down inside the A-pilar could plug-up and cause water to back-up and leak out in the corners there. I don't really know where that drain hole ends up going, but you might blast some compressed air down it to be sure it drains OK.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

right, there are drain holes back there that could be clogged.

so using di-electric on the stripping will soften them up to make a better seal?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had some success with a different method. Some people might be real picky, but I think my method looks fine, well worth getting rid of the leaks.

First I would try NC01TA's method, that sounds good. Already did mine this way though.

Black silicone RTV. Tape wax paper over the edge of the window covering a few inches of both sides of the window. Clean the surfaces. Open the door, and lightly close it to the first click but so it's still ajar. Study where the window sits on the seal. Still studying the edge, push the door closed. Repeat a few times to get an idea how much the window moves in the seal from one click to closed. Now put it back at ajar, and apply a smooth uniform bead along the affected area of the seal. Now gently push the door fully closed. Let it sit over night. When it's dry, the wax paper peels off of the silicone pretty easily. The black is pretty inconspicuous. Well worth the stopped leak.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

that black silicon stuff in a tube. put on rubber gloves and smear it on the windshield frame. i did this on a POS 93 VW cabriolet and it also quiet down the wind noise significantly on the highway.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

shooter: thats a great idea. If it stops the leak, hey, the neat freaks might complain but you'll be leak free while they still drive around with a roll of bounty in the back seat!!!

Skunk: I'm not sure i understand? windshield frame? Do you mean the rubber weatherstripping or the edge of the window itself?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skunk50
that black silicon stuff in a tube. put on rubber gloves and smear it on the windshield frame. i did this on a POS 93 VW cabriolet and it also quiet down the wind noise significantly on the highway.

not the windshield, the door windows.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Teching In

I just put some dielectric grease on my seals the other day but make sure you wipe them down! I thought the stuff would just absorb into the rubber but it doesn't, so let it sit for a while and then wipe down the excess.

The black RTV trick seems good, I'll have to remember that if I have an issue.

OFF TOPIC: the 303 stuff is great, it protects better and doesn't shine like Armor All does, which is nice for our interiors since F-body dashes are monstrous and the reflection off of the Armor All glare can be blinding.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just finally tested my new seal yesterday at work, parked outside we had a torrential downpour, and not a drop slipped by, I was quite satisfied.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

this is with the silicon right?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
Black silicone RTV. Tape wax paper over the edge of the window covering a few inches of both sides of the window. Clean the surfaces. Open the door, and lightly close it to the first click but so it's still ajar. Study where the window sits on the seal. Still studying the edge, push the door closed. Repeat a few times to get an idea how much the window moves in the seal from one click to closed. Now put it back at ajar, and apply a smooth uniform bead along the affected area of the seal. Now gently push the door fully closed. Let it sit over night. When it's dry, the wax paper peels off of the silicone pretty easily. The black is pretty inconspicuous. Well worth the stopped leak.
Used this method on my Jet Ski storage compartment - instead of buying a complete new seal. Worked there too.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Great thread, looks like I have some rubber massaging to do as well.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by obZidian
this is with the silicon right?
Yeah the silicone. Make sure you get the dark black. The clear comes out looking white and terrible. This dark gray blends pretty good too, but I'd be sure full black next time. Works real good. I still haven't redone it in black, but it can't look too bad, at the drive-in saturday night about 5 people in 10 minutes complemented my car ha a record for me maybe. Funny thing it's got 91k on 'er with plenty of scratches, but people just don't notice them, especially when she's runnin'. ...night time doesn't hurt I guess...

Quick Reply: Leaking Convertible