Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

GM Dealer Hydrolocked Motor During Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Dealer Hydrolocked Motor During Oil Change

Not my car. I found this article on another forum.

So the new 2007 C6 Z06 motor has been great........that is untill today.................

So I take the C6 Z06 in to a dealer in San Diego today 10-16-08. I just moved from FL to San Diego 2 weeks ago. About a 2600 mile trip. So I wanted to have the oil changed.

So I'm at the GM dealer here in San Diego for 2 hours and I'm like where is my car? I go and talk to the sevice writer and he says " it seems as if your car is leaking oil " I say " why is my car leaking oil? It had a NEW motor put in last year and I just drove 2600 miles from Florida to here in San Diego " The service writer was vary nice and alowed me to go and look for my self.

So I walk back to my C6 Z06 and I can not beleave what I am seeing. There is oil EVERY WHERE. So I take a closer look and see the " Master Corvette Tech " has taken the Sealed oil plug off the valve cover and I say to him " what are you doing, he says " what do you mean " I say " why would you put oil in the motor when you are to put the oil in the Dry Sump container " This Tech flys off the handal and says " I know what I'm doing I have done 100's of oil changes on these cars and I alway put in 6.6 qt in the motor on the valve cover " I'm like " look you have no idea what you have done or caused to my motor. You can't put oil in at the sealed plug on the valve cover, it's a dry sump motor or you will hydro lock the motor and pound a flat spot on the bearings. YOU JUST TRASHED MY MOTOR by starting the motor with 6.6 qt in the WRONG place. You NEVER put oil in a motor that has a dry sump, henc " DRY SUMP ". Than this " Tech " says..........and I can't beleav my ears " I can only fit 1.5 qt in the sump container. " I'm like " what are you talking about it can hold up to 10 qts.............. "

At this point I have the service writer and the service manager on line with GM, and low and behold I'm right the tech is wrong and the worst part about is the service tech turned the motor over with the 6.5 qt in the top part of the motor henc why all the oil is every where, and I mean every where. Than the tech says i will show you. He than puts 8 qt of oil in the Dry sump container and trys to turn over the motor but cant because it's HYDRO LOCKED............................

So now I'm just besides my self. So I call GM, file a complaint, thay give a case file number. I said to the dealer in a vary nice way that under no conditions will I take my 2006 C6 Z06 unless thay put a new motor in the car. Man I just had a motor put in last year because of a well documented failed oil pump.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UN F'ing believable. I don't think I could've been as nice.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Thats ******* crazy!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sucks.

But it's why I do my dry sump oil change myself with the help of another person to spin the engine up for both of them. I don't trust many others when it comes to this particular matter.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Oh man, what a nightmare. Best of luck to the poor guy.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Hydrolocked..or siezed? Jusk asking.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Tell them to make it an ls9 and call it even

edit: and fire the "master tech"
Old 10-20-2008, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

sucks... thats why I always do that stuff my self.

I have the oil changed in my diesel because it's such a mess but I always stand there and watch them. Everything else is done at home by me.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

So he wants a dealership to put a motor in that cannot even change the oil in one. Ummmm NO.....
Old 10-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Unfocking real dumb right there for a tech.

Quick Reply: GM Dealer Hydrolocked Motor During Oil Change