Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

drilling throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drilling throttle body?

I am having problems with my idle. I have a 216/224 113. I never had this problem with my first motor, but after getting my new motor my idle sucks. keep stalling at stops.

MODS added to 2nd motor.

LS6 intake
Aluminum flywheel

I'm a little confused with drilling the tb blade. Does that raise my idle speed? Should I even attempt this on vettes knowing it's different from the F-bodies?
Old 12-26-2005, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

I would get your tune checked out, with that cam I really don't think you need to drill a hole in your T/B.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is no reason you should ever drill a hole in your throttle body with current technology except in the most rare of circumstances. Have someone tune it. If they aren't sure how to do it, refer them to this reference material
Old 12-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Launching!

dont drill it!!!! thats a baby cam...check the tune
Old 12-26-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Default Clean it

I had trouble with idle , the car had 16 k miles H/C car
I had the throttle body cleaned with intake air cleaner
Problem over ,I wouldn't have believed either .
Old 12-27-2005, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

AIC should open up enought for it to idle correctly
Sounds like you need to have it tuned.
I didnt drill the TB when I had the trex because the tune was good.

Yes drilling a hole in the TB will allow more air to go in and in turn raise your idle.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:14 PM
Teching In

What is AIC? What should I clean the TB with? I already tuned it with the CRANES CAM tuner.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Idle Air Control valve - (IAC sorry it was a typo)
It opens up to allow air into the intake when the tb is closed so your engine wont die at idle.

Im not sure what a cranes cam tuner is but im 99% sure this is a tuning related problem.
I would take it to a shop and have them scan/tune it with hptuners or something similar.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do not drill your TB...you never need to do that..it IS a tuning issue..and it can be fixed with proper tuning...I am really surprised that you would have an issue with that mild of a cam...my 233\233 .595\.595 112 would idle on the stock the tune before the custom tune was done..
Old 12-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Teching In

I don't see any IAC on the throttle body. I pulled the TB off the manifold. All I see is the motor and the TPSensor, no idle controlling valve. Anyways, I figured out what the problem was, it turned out to be the IAT sensor. It reads about 140F. So I bought a 570ohm resistor and plugged that in, it runs fine now. I think the thermistor went bad sometime a few months ago. Thanks alot everyone, especially the person that had that tuning link.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

Do a good search and see who recommends drilling and exactly why.

Then drill the hole.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirek

Then drill the hole.

Any body that tells ya to drill a hole does not know what they are talking about..take that to the bank...it is tuning and nothing more...check around with people who know what they are talking about..or check with a competant tuner and you will learn the truth..happy new year..
Old 12-31-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mirek

Then drill the hole.
Drilling holes in your TB is from the stone age... If your tuner wants to drill your TB it is because he does not know the correct way to tune Idle Trims...

You need to log your Long Term Idle Trims (LTIT) and your Short Term Idle Trims (STIT) from a cold start to operating temp. This will show how far off you are. Add the LTIT and STIT values together and adjust (add to) your Base Runing Air Flow (RAF) for each specific engine coolant temp range. Make sure you are using the same units of measure i.e. G/sec.

EFI-Live or HPTuner will let you do this... It is one of first and most simple things you can do with them... The process is even automated in HPTuner now... couple clicks maybe two logs and you are done...

I have used this on my last four cams and my F13 (112lsa) which idled perfect at 800rpms....

Last edited by SideStep; 12-31-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

I drilled a hole out of frustration. Was using un named $%$#@ programer. Then I got EFI, closed the hole, tuned one start cycle from cold to operating temp, no more stalling or stutter. Same cam.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by redfulcrum
I don't see any IAC on the throttle body. I pulled the TB off the manifold. All I see is the motor and the TPSensor, no idle controlling valve. Anyways, I figured out what the problem was, it turned out to be the IAT sensor. It reads about 140F. So I bought a 570ohm resistor and plugged that in, it runs fine now. I think the thermistor went bad sometime a few months ago. Thanks alot everyone, especially the person that had that tuning link.
Just wanted to point out that the Drive by Wire throttle body's dont really have an IAC, they just use the stepper motor to open the throttle blade ever so slightly. This technology enabled manufacturers to get rid of the IAC all together.

Quick Reply: drilling throttle body?