Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

First runs in my c5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First runs in my c5 Z06

I just picked up a silver 02 Z06 three weeks back and through some egging on from my friends, went to the track just this past saturday. This is my first stick shift car and I'd only owned it three weeks, so I didn't expect much. I just wanted to not break anything, not hit the rev limiter, and consider it to be a learning experience. I was only able to make three runs because it was so busy but they went as follows.

My first run was very soon after we got there, so I didn't get a chance to let the car cool down like I had planned. I hadn't made a pass in anything down the dragstrip in 3 years so I pretty much botched the whole thing.

2.18 60'
8.66@86.84 660'
13.13@109.47 1320'

I was spinning and wheel hopping into every gear except 4th, and tagged the limiter in 3rd pretty hard. I was dissapointed but confident I could improve.

Next run the car was a bit cooler, but I still started my run at ~190 degrees and decided to focus on quickening the shifts and being more mindful of the limiter, which I think made me slightly overly cautious with my shift points.

2.12 60'
8.58@87.82 660'
13.02@111.03 1320'

I improved on my last run which I was happy with, despite the car still spinning and hopping into every gear except 4th.

I knew I was only going to get 1 more run in and had to make it count. Depsite my best efforts to keep the car cool and not cause a traffic jam in the staging lanes, the run started with the car at ~190 again.

2.11 60'
8.38@89.08 660'
12.77@112.22 1320'

My best 60 foot (barely) came as somewhat of a surprise. Before I had been keeping the revs at about 1500rpm's and quickly releasing the clutch and applying throttle immediately after. This technique had rewarded me with wheelspin which quickly turned into wheelhop. This time I left with more revs than I intended and released the clutch more slowly than I intended. I got out about 10 feet before the car started to spin and hop, I feathered the throttle until it hooked and then went on about my run as usual. It still spun and hopped into 2nd and 3rd, but I got my best run of the day. Overall, I was reasonably pleased with how the day turned out considering my inexperience and how the air got worse as the day went on. I was glad however that I was able to outtrap my friends cammed ls1 camaro.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

AVOID WHEEL HOP AT ANY COST!!!!! Your very lucky nothing broke. Even the slightest bit of wheel hop can cause the left side output shaft to break. 12.7 your first time out is very good. Only 3 weeks driving a standard trans and a 12.7 time slip
Old 09-19-2006, 06:27 PM
King of the radial tires

TurboV6GN, 12.77 first day at the drags is quite good, congratulations. :thumbs

Might want to take a read through the C5Z06 Launch Techniques write-up that's linked in my sig. There are a lot of things to get right; my views came from passes in two C5Z.

Practice...practice...practice.

Ranger
Old 09-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Thanks Ranger, I'd read through your writeup before, but as soon as I got to the line I pretty much froze and forgot everything I told myself I was going to do and not do. I didn't play around with tire pressures, but is there anything I can do to limit or better yet eliminate wheel hop? It probably doesn't help that I'm on the original (5 year old!) tires with minimal tread left.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:54 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

congrats on yr first runs
Old 09-19-2006, 06:58 PM
King of the radial tires

Originally Posted by TurboV6GN
Thanks Ranger, I'd read through your writeup before, but as soon as I got to the line I pretty much froze and forgot everything I told myself I was going to do and not do. I didn't play around with tire pressures, but is there anything I can do to limit or better yet eliminate wheel hop? It probably doesn't help that I'm on the original (5 year old!) tires with minimal tread left.
(1) Drop the rears to 25-26 psi hot, before making any passes.
(2) Reread the 1.78 on stock tires passage in my write up. Squeezing the throttle progressively on launch is key.
(3) Refrain from over-powering traction on the shifts. Be sure to ease the throttle while the clutch is in.

If the rear wheels begin to hop, lift the throttle. Don't want to break the rear.

Ranger
Old 09-21-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ranger
TurboV6GN, 12.77 first day at the drags is quite good, congratulations. :thumbs

Might want to take a read through the C5Z06 Launch Techniques write-up that's linked in my sig. There are a lot of things to get right; my views came from passes in two C5Z.

Practice...practice...practice.

Ranger

YES INDEED
Old 09-21-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

not to hijack..here was my first run @ track

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rrent=atco.flv
Old 09-21-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

12.77 @ your first outting is very good. I think practice is the biggest factor in improving your times. Its VERY easy to get fidgety and nervous at the tree when you're new to the car. You just have to get yourself to calm down. The whole time you're in the staging lanes, in the box, and pulling up to the tree.....go over EVERYTHING in your head that you want to do. Hell on the trip to the track just go over everything, to the point where you don't even have to think about what you're going to do....you just DO IT.

As Ranger and others stated....avoid the wheel hop at all cost. Another thing that I think might help you is this; pay no attention to who is next to you. Take your time, get your rpms up to where you want and then and ONLY then, lauch your car. Keep in mind, unless you're in competition, you're only racing the clock, not the car next to you. It doesn't matter who outlaunches who....the clock doesn't start ticking until YOU start moving.

Go over Ranger's launch techniques again. From my personal experience, this is what I've found works best. Lower tire pressure in the staging lanes after you tech in to around 24-26psi (I generally start around 26-27 and adjust accordingly) Once you're staged and ready to go, bring the rpm's up to around 2700-2800. Do not STAB the gas, you'll only spin. Ranger described it best as a "squeezing" effect, and I couldn't have said it better myself. Ride the clutch out, progressively squeezing the pedal down until you're full throttle. I normally have my foot to the floor by the 60' mark.

I myself have improving to do as well. The time in my sig is from my 2nd outing and i have a total of 8 passes under my belt in the Z06. I'm looking for 11's bone stock. Practice Practice Practice!!

Quick Reply: First runs in my c5 Z06