Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

did i pay too much for my zo6? and who agrees i should supercharge it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default did i pay too much for my zo6? and who agrees i should supercharge it.

i keep talking to people at work and they all have gotten almost new cars for what i paid for my 01z with 75,000 miles. The mileage doesnt really bother me but people always seem to think its weird that i paid 22,000 for an 01 with that many miles. I know its a corvette and all of you guys have them so what do you think about how much i paid for the car. And i have a chance to buy a used p1sc procharger kit for 4000 shipped but dont know if i should drop all of that coin to do it. i could do quite a few bolt ons plus appearance mods, and maybe spray it if i want a little more. So how many people think i should supercharge it and how fast are the bolt on cars? i want a high 10 sec capable car traction permitted. i know clutch and all that has to be upgraded too so that is a factor, and what parts do you need to not break the rear with a decent launch. Not of the limiter just 3000rpms or so. Also i know they wheel hop so what do you need to avoid that also?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

i would of offered him a lil less but still a nice buy... i say that because im in the market.....your other questions are for someone with the knowledge witch i dont have "vettes" are a new thing for me to.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Its a good buy man thats what some C5s are priced for well in my opinion.I bought my 2000 coupe for 19,000 but I didnt know about wich body style was differrent.If I had a chance to choose between yours and mine for 3000 of a difference I would be all over your car.I think you should SC that beast I dont really really in bolt-ons for major power cuz I have a friend who has a 02 Z06 with heads,cam,long tubes,intake,tune, all I have is mufflers,programer, and 100 shot and ill walk on him but hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bolt ons can make plenty of power if you get into heads and cam. I made 413rhwp with bolt ons and cam only. SC are cool too but expect to spend a bunch of money on a clutch and possibly a rear end if you are looking at a 10 sec car.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nwmembr19
i keep talking to people at work and they all have gotten almost new cars for what i paid for my 01z with 75,000 miles. The mileage doesnt really bother me but people always seem to think its weird that i paid 22,000 for an 01 with that many miles. I know its a corvette and all of you guys have them so what do you think about how much i paid for the car. And i have a chance to buy a used p1sc procharger kit for 4000 shipped but dont know if i should drop all of that coin to do it. i could do quite a few bolt ons plus appearance mods, and maybe spray it if i want a little more. So how many people think i should supercharge it and how fast are the bolt on cars? i want a high 10 sec capable car traction permitted. i know clutch and all that has to be upgraded too so that is a factor, and what parts do you need to not break the rear with a decent launch. Not of the limiter just 3000rpms or so. Also i know they wheel hop so what do you need to avoid that also?
Tell whoever says you paid too much for your Z06 to STFU. That's a good price for a killer car. They don't know their *** from a whole in the ground.

Talk with Mad Man Racing about the rear. I think they are the Vette IRS guys.

If you'd have said where youre from, I'd have reccomended a sponsor for the rest.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

If she's in decent shape man, it's a great deal! Z's take fairly well to mods. A lot of guys are running sc's and turbo systems, and with a few upgrades, DTE, clutch, and easy launches...they're having no problems. But without some good rear end upgrades, and high RPM launches with dr's with a blower, you'd definitely be asking for trouble. Post some pics of your new lady...show her off a bit.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats a good deal for an 01 Z06 that was maintained correctly. Running 10's on stock internals is definitely possible. But the M6 and rear end tend to be the weak links at those power levels. With the P1SC and enough boost 10's are possible but you definitely need a good tune to get there! Do a compression test before you install forced induction though to make sure the motor is healthy!
Old 03-26-2007, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Not a bad price at all....I have an procharged 01 525/478 @ 7lbs. DTE 3.90 rear, QA1 shocks, Spec III, on ET streets & skinnies. best pass 10.81 best mph 131.8
Old 03-26-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Not to bad of a deal. As long as it's in good shape.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Thats actually a pretty good deal and certainly a fair price. Used Vettes hold their value VERY WELL, especially the Z06!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Tell whoever says you paid too much for your Z06 to STFU. That's a good price for a killer car. They don't know their *** from a whole in the ground.
I aggree 100%

One of my favorite cars to drive on my lunch break (out of 100+ classic/new in stock) is a silver '01 Zo6 with 72k miles.. One bad mother******, just as mean as the '02 we have.

We also have a supercharged/built silver '03 Zo6 with a 6.0 LS2 block.. It's got the whole package (seats/safety/brakes/chassis/bling) and it's priced at $55k Very expensive, but I dare say it would murder almost any exotic you could run into around Atlanta streets.

If I just plunked down 20 something grand, I'd just put some headers/ORH through the stock Ti catback, a cam in the high 220 range, along with a pulley, throttlebody, tune... Perfect!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Launching!

good price, IMO for the money go with a cam and boltons
Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Congrats on the new ride. Forced induction or NA it depends what you want out of your car. NA you will get your lumpy cam and may lose some gas mileage and some streetability. FI, your car will act like it does now until you hit it.
This is the best site for info on NA. Alot of differant ways of going NA most will give you 480 rwhp or more.
If you want to go FI "Corvette forum" FI section is the best for vettes. Alot of resident whackos there. Many differant options for blowers and turbos. Most will start you out at over 500 rwhp up to 800 or more depending on the size of your wallet.
No matter which way you go if you drag race you will need to beef up the rest of the drivetrain clutch, rearend,trans etc. Goodluck and enjoy!!!!!!!!!
NA mods will get you 10's. FI can get you 9's.

Bob

Last edited by Bob's Z06; 03-27-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Please don't go the route I did by going the whole H/C / bolt on route and realizing that you want more power.....sometimes I wish I would have just went FI to start!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Deal sounds right. Online resale value does not equal to what people are realistically paying. Plus, 1-2 grand is not that significant in the longrun -- That's roughly +/- 5%. 5% is not a big deal, IMO.

Many times people leave out details that factor the price of the cars. Windows work? Scratches? Etc. Have fun .

Ryan
Old 03-27-2007, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by germeezy1
Please don't go the route I did by going the whole H/C / bolt on route and realizing that you want more power.....sometimes I wish I would have just went FI to start!
Very true but tastes change and the biggest factor being budget only allows you to do what you can. If I had to do it all over again I would go straight to FI, but of course that assumes that I had $10,000 available to do it once and do it right. Also keep in mind that the products are constantly evolving. Great heads/cam of today is the old technology of tomorrow. When I began modding 7 years ago the market wasn't exactly loaded with FI options for the C5.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But then again I will pick up more power than a stock car adding FI, so in that regards I guess I can't complain.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say that was a good price that you bought the car for if it was still in decent shape.

I say supercharge it! You can still get excellent gas mileage and have over 500rwhp. When you cam it you will definitely lose gas mileage. Depends, you want a whine or a rumble at idle. With a procharger at 8 psi you should be around 500-525 rwhp. Mine with a CAI and et streets only has run a best of 11.9 at 117mph, plus there is more in it to gain. You will be in the 10's for sure with just the supercharger!

Go for it!

btw post some pictures.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:40 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by germeezy1
me too- but they didnt have the nice turbo packages they have now when i started modding. if i did it again it be a forged block with twins
Old 03-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Launching!

well thanks for the responses guys. I think for the time being i'm going to just order some texas speed headers and a vararam. i have a couple of questions though do you think it would be worth it to get 1.85 rocker arms and some tsp stage 1 ported heads. if you sell the stock heads it doesnt seem to bad. i didnt think that the ported heads would do much with the stock cam and figure some higher lift rocker arms would help me pick up a little without going overboard on the cam. plus i got the cam off here for 135. Also what's everyones opinions on nitrous. i could spend all this money on bolt ons or just get a fast intake with direct port and spray it into the tens with a stock car. And how do i post pics i tried before but couldnt figure it out.

Quick Reply: did i pay too much for my zo6? and who agrees i should supercharge it.