Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

What is more important Rwhp or Rwtq, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is more important Rwhp or Rwtq, and why?

I pose this question because I am wondering which improvement is going to make the most difference between this year and last year on how my car drives. Last year I left making 457 rwhp and 417 rwtq, now with a few upgrades and tuning I am making 485 rwhp and 454 rwtq. Which is going to effect my cars performance the most the additional 28 rwhp or the 37 rwtq ? I was also wondering everyones opinions on whats more important, 500 rwhp or 450 rwtq when it comes to a stock bottom LS1. I have yet to see the graph but from what I am told there is a lot of torque earlier on with the new cam. I'll be sure to let you know how feels with the 1200 mile drive home.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are both important but you're going to feel the tq more. To be 100% honest, it's not how much power you're making, it's where you're making it. Most cars that have a lot of power "under the curve" seem to feel faster. I think a car with 500rwhp and 450rwtq won't seem as fast as a car with 450rwhp and 500rwtq. Again, it's all about where you make your power. Of course a car with more power will be the faster car in the long run. That's one reasion's the C6 Z06 is so quick. They make good top end and good low end power. They have the best of both worlds! If you look at a dyno graph, you can tell how fast a car will be by where it makes it power. I'd much rather have a car that make equal hp/tq than a car that just makes "peak" or top end power. That's just me though.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your car gained the additional Horsepower due to the Torque that it gained.

Horsepower is a product of toqrue and RPM's. Unless the mods you made allowed you to now spin it to a higher RPM, then the horsepower gain comes 100% from the torque gain.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah Z O Sick I hear what you are saying. I could better answer the question of where the hp/tq is being made once I get to see the graph. I have only been told that I am making more Torque now then before and making at a lower RPM. Should translate to a quicker feeling car. The extra Horsepower should help me in the upper range of the speedo too. Thanks for the comments.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Yeah Z O Sick I hear what you are saying. I could better answer the question of where the hp/tq is being made once I get to see the graph. I have only been told that I am making more Torque now then before and making at a lower RPM. Should translate to a quicker feeling car. The extra Horsepower should help me in the upper range of the speedo too. Thanks for the comments.
More RWT at a lower RPM will make the car feel quicker.\

My $.02
Old 04-23-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WKMCD
More RWT at a lower RPM will make the car feel quicker.\

My $.02

Well that's what I am hoping for. Need to see the graph and compare.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Torque.... enables you to accellerate out of the corners...

Hp. (close to red line)... provides top speed at the end of the straights.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Teching In

(puts on flame suit) I believe it is hp that you feel. Hp is basically just torque/time. If you have two seperate cars that are identical in every way and car A is putting out twice the tq of car B but car B is putting out twice the hp then I think it would be fair to assume that car B would accelerate harder due to it putting out twice the tq/second.

I also don't think that it is a baton race...How can it be that tq gets you off the line and then hands off the acceleration duties to hp to get you good top end. Seems like it would be either tq or hp all the way to redline.

I used to have a turbo civic(puts on second layer of flame suit) that put down 244whp and like 150 something wtq. It was pretty quick and it took down a few lt1 camaros that had a way better tq/weight ratio but it didnt have a great hp/weight ratio.

Also, when you have better low end tq you also have better low end hp as well. So that (what i believe) is what gets you off the line better.

To wrap up my point, it isnt tq that accelerates you but it is tq/time. Again this is just my opinion.

p.s. Im not on this board to say imports are better than domestics and all. I have actually been a member here for quit a while and i've been frequenting this forum for years and I think the c5 is the best bang for the buck. Hopefully I will be purchasing one within the next few months.

*edit* after looking at my sig, I see that I had 168 footpounds of tq. I guess it is time to update my sig seeing as how I don't even have that car any more lol.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

If your torque is down low, not only will it feel quicker it will be quicker. That's why a 500rwhp nitrous car will beat a 500rwhp boosted car in the 1/4, low end torque. Torque is what gets ya moving, and hp keeps ya moving. I made 665rwtq on my bone stock longblock ls6 at about 3800rpm. Time in sig was at 636rwtq.
Robert
Old 04-23-2007, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

you just have to look in the top end. HP and TQ work together to get the car moving along with the mechanical gearing of the car. I will like a paper for you to read about it.

http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

Try reading that Doug it will explain a lot.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sigforty
you just have to look in the top end. HP and TQ work together to get the car moving along with the mechanical gearing of the car. I will like a paper for you to read about it.

http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

Try reading that Doug it will explain a lot.

Thanks for the link Mark.

Quick Reply: What is more important Rwhp or Rwtq, and why?