R/T ----------- .514 --------- .847 ---------- .829
60' ----------- 2.534 -------- 2.241 --------- 1.907
330 ---------- 6.305 -------- 5.691 --------- 5.508
1/8 ---------- 9.138 -------- 8.280 --------- 8.250
MPH --------- 87.82 -------- 96.10 --------- 93.39
1000 -------- 11.438 ------- 10.459 -------- 10.468
1/4 ---------- 13.374 ------- 12.280 -------- 12.312
MPH --------- 118.71 ------- 125.29 -------- 124.01

First, a disclaimer: I have NEVER tried launching this car hard and never had this car on the track before. The Tex OZ-700 clutch is still new to me and I haven't had a lot of seat time since the work was done. Obviously this showed with my inability to launch. It's definitely not the same as launching our 6 Speed 93 Trans Am. That said, I know that I need practice, but here's how the runs went down.

Run 1 -- Tire pressure was 24 PSI. I got a good burnout, and launched from 3500 RPM's with a pretty aggressive clutch drop. Car fell FLAT on it's face. I then proceeded to quick shift my way down the track just to get a better feel for the car. This is normal for me as I usually don't let it rip until run 2 or 3 every time I'm on the track.

Run 2 -- Tire pressure 18 PSI. Decent burnout again, launched from 5000 RPM with another very aggressive clutch drop. Car squeaked the tires then again fell on it's face, but not as bad. I powershifted all four gears this time. Decent run. This surprised a LOT of people at the track after seeing how sad my first run was. The trap speed is VERY indicative of the power the car is making and how much potential is there. I was very pleased with how this run went down save for the launch.

Run 3 -- Tire pressure was 17 PSI as it had cooled off and the car had sat for over an hour. I was fully prepared to let it completely rip on this one. Sadly, yours truly, this being his only TCS enabled car, was owned hardcore by said traction control about 1 second after starting the burnout. Full on stall of the car which took me off the game. Fired it back up, quick hopped to the line. Ran it up to 5500 RPM and this time as the green came down I slowly let the clutch out until I felt movement then gave it a tad more and full throttle. Too light on the pedal, but my best short time of the night (ever actually). Sadly though, with the lack of a good burnout, the tires were still cold, and I blew them away at the top of first, and all of second, and when I hit third she dropped out of the powerband down to about 2800-3000 RPM. The amazing part here is that even though this run was a wash, it was almost on with my best of the night. Had the tires been warm and it been a complete run, based off of the standard (.10 off short time = .15 off top end) I would have cut that 12.28 down to about a 11.7x and probably gained a couple of MPH.

Driving impressions: The car pulls like a freight train once in boost. Kind of lugs off the line, and it's going to take a LOT of practice to get a good 1.6-1.7 short time. The car was ROCK SOLID the entire night, and I would like to extend a very big thanks to Steve Doten and Don Kinder for the work they did on the car to get it to where it is.

Predictions: I have no doubts I'm going to put this car deep into the 11's probably as it sits, probably around an 11.5-11.6 once I get some more seat time. It's making great power, and to tell the truth I was kind of surprised to see a 125 Trap speed with a 2.24 short time. I'm just all grins about how quick she's running even if I can't launch it. Once I get a DTE Brace, I'm probably going to grab some F-Body 16" wheels and some E.T. Street Radials to see what will happen.

Vids should be up tomorrow night. I have to wash the car first and get it prepped for a date with a Porter Cable over the next few nights as I find time. My lovely wife videoed all three runs, and YES, she got me stalling it too.

Thoughts???
Old 09-13-2007, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've got a pretty stout car on your hands but it sounds like you are in the same boat as me a the track . I am having a lot of trouble getting my car out of the hole as well. Once you get it though, that car will be very deep into the 11's, especially with that trap speed coming from a bog at the line. IMO I would think the car actually has some 10's in it on a near perfect run!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm hoping, but with as much extra time as I have anymore, getting the practice to get there isn't going to happen quickly.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
Thoughts???
Congrats for having the ***** to do more than dyno/bench race like the girls on the "other" board.

Your MPH backs up your dyno.

You'll be in the 11's with some more practice.

If you need a set of 16'' F-Body rims shoot me an email.

Mark
Old 09-13-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

God i don't feel so bad about my times Kidding, run 2 and 3 were a huge improvement over run 1. I'd LOVE a magnuson S/C on mine. The first and only time i got to the track with my Vette on a 95-100* day i was running 13.8's consistantly. I was hittin' 104-105mph traps with 2.2-2.4 60' I kept either boggin' or spinning off the line. I probably could have slipped the clutch a little and gotten much better 60's but i don't wanna replace the clutch from it. I was runnin' 28lb air pressure and barked the tires in every gear change i got to 4th gear on only 1 run and ran a 13.98 and barked 'em in 4th I'd love to get up there on a 60* day and drop the tires down to about 20 psi. and try and get a better launch. I should be a high 12 VERY low 13 at least.~Cole~
P.S. AWESOME car you got there
Old 09-13-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got done looking at your slips and it looks like you don't have full traction until 3rd gear. I bet a good burnout and a 4500 rpm launch will be amazing. I see you deep into the 11's. Very much limited by your lack of traction, and the setup being new to you. You are in the same seat I was in back in June of this year. It was my first time to the track in 15 yrs and 1st time to Milan ever in this car. I ran 12.3 at 121.6 with a 2.33 60 time. Spun out of the hole, hit the rev limiter 1/2 and 2/3 killing my run but still managed 121.6 thru the traps. I have since upgraded to a Hurst short throw shifter and Nitto Drags (305 35r18). I hope the traction will slow the rush of the tach due to spinning my tires and let me shift accurately. Don't mean to hijack your thread just trying to say I completely relate to what you just went through. BTW what tires do you have on the back, I must've missed it. At any rate I bet you got a 10 sec trap in that car and a 130 et. Get some seat time and drive it like you stole it. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tires are Nitto DR's, 305/35-18. I agree with you allngn_C5, that it's got a lot more in it, I just need to practice and get it out of the hole harder. The second run was running pretty much full traction, but the third I lost traction due to cold tires for the top of first and all of second.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't laugh at my vid -- I'm new to video editing and I really like that score and was looking for an excuse to try it. I left the second run sound unmuted so you can hear how fairly quiet the car actually is.

http://www.fastbird93.com/Corvette/Vids/VetteTrack1.WMV
Old 09-14-2007, 03:14 AM
TECH Addict

man now when i re-read my post i feel like i was post jacking. Sorry didn't mean to. I've been looking at an STS kit for mine although i don't know how your kit mounts but i don't like the rear mount idea. I DD don't get into alot of rain with my Vette but i don't want to have to worry about it. Did you do the install on your TT kit? How hard is the actual install?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
man now when i re-read my post i feel like i was post jacking. Sorry didn't mean to. I've been looking at an STS kit for mine although i don't know how your kit mounts but i don't like the rear mount idea. I DD don't get into alot of rain with my Vette but i don't want to have to worry about it. Did you do the install on your TT kit? How hard is the actual install?
This kit is front mounted. The turbo's are positioned just behind and slightly to the side of the oil pan. I was going to do the installation myself, but a deal came up that I couldn't refuse, so I had it done.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdhmi
Congrats for having the ***** to do more than dyno/bench race like the girls on the "other" board.

I agree.

All you need is more practice and maybe a better tire and your times will drop alot. Launching a turbo stick car takes alot of skill. What you have to do is launch the car in boost, keep the nose up thru first gear, and shift FAST so you keep the turbo(s) spooled. Its alot easier said then done and requires alot of finess to not ride the clutch for too long in first and also not go WOT to quickly and smoke the tires. with a turbo and tires w/o great traction there is a VERY thin line between a bog and smoking the tires on the launch, you need to be in between the two.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Boosting off the line will be difficult as I'm running no controller on the stock wastegates (for now). My shifting in terms of keeping it in boost is fine, no problems noted there. The tires will actually hook up pretty dang well (5K dump = the little chirp on the second run in the video). I just need more practice more than anything. I GUARANTEE my next time out will result in an 11 second pass now that I have a better idea what to expect.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

the fact that you have no boost controller and are running off the WG has no effect on leaving the line w/o boost. you can still make boost off the line w/o any launching aids like a 2 step, you just have to know how its done.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by alwaysinboost
the fact that you have no boost controller and are running off the WG has no effect on leaving the line w/o boost. you can still make boost off the line w/o any launching aids like a 2 step, you just have to know how its done.
Well what are you waiting for son!!!! Enlighten me! Dammit man, I need to get my self respect back after the travesty of Wednesday night.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

I was just thinking that ya should get a stutter box or whatever they call them. The Evo's have 'em. A buddy of mine has a high 10 second Nissan 300ZX with it in there and the thing HAULS off the line with it~Cole~
Old 09-14-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

EVO's have a stationary rev-limiter thats put in place by the factory to prevent driveline damage caused by dumb people who don't know how to release their clutch in a controlled manor. It goes off the VSS so when the car isn't moving the stationary rev limiter is active.

Its not a studder box/2 step because it doesn't cut spark and add fuel to build boost, all it does is limit the RPM you can rev too without the vehicle moving. the same way that works is the same way to make any manual car build boost off the line...
Old 09-14-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Lower the tire pressure and do a big burnout every pass. I've run nitto dr at 14psi with no problems but only after I had full control of the car. Be safe.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:28 AM
TECH Addict

i was mis-informed then on the Evo's but i do know the Nissan i was talkin' about has one. Pretty cool watchin' him launch that thing
Old 09-15-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

What kind of power does your car make? Go buy some drag slicks.....just for fun....
Old 09-15-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
What kind of power does your car make? Go buy some drag slicks.....just for fun....
See sig. I can't afford a CCW Drag Pack or else I'd be rocking it already. DR's are going to have to do for now, then it'll either be some 275/40-17 E.T. street radials on front Wagon Wheels (Hey, they're not doing anything but collecting dust in the attic) or some 26x11.5x16 on some F-Body 16x8 wheels.

Quick Reply: Initial Track Results, APS TT 99 C5