Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Whats with tuner shops?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007 | 11:04 AM
10 Second Club

Default Whats with tuner shops?

[rant on]So im in Iraq (civilian) and have a lot of things I want to do with the car. I am going to ship it to the tuner/builder in April so it will be ready for me when I get home in June (if this is possible). Ive taken a lot of advice from the people who have dealt with most of these tuners already and have had experiences with them, so I know who to deal with and who to stay away from. So Ive written about six tuners looking to get an itemized estimate and the problem is that most of them never respond to email, wont answer the phone, or simply told me that April is to far away for me to be planning something like this and to call back in four months. Im just curious what it takes to NOT get treated like a 16 year old with his daddys credit card in hand? I have the money for this project and ready to get it planned out! My question is Am I wrong for wanting to plan this now and get the details out of the way or what?[/rant off]

Here is what im looking at doing.

Forged 346 long block
Complete fuel system
Procharger or Paxton intercooled kit
RPM Stage V tranny
Heavy duty diff 3.90 ratio
Output shafts

An itemized quotes are great and im looking forward to this project. Do I have any takers out there? Shoot me an email! I will also need advice on a cage for the car.
Old 11-15-2007 | 02:02 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

That is a fair amount of work to get done in 1 month. If you had all the parts there at one time, I think it could be done in a month. A lot of shops do not like to take on projects where a car is in pieces and sitting on a lift waiting for parts. Then again, with a fat enough wallet, most shops can change their mind.......

Keith
Old 11-15-2007 | 03:08 PM
Launching!

Talk to Bob at Exotic Performance and he will let you know what the real world price will be. Nice guy to talk to.
Old 11-15-2007 | 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

I use LG Motorsports and they always respond to my emails and phone calls. Have you tried them? What about ECS (East Coast Supercharging) ? They are Paxon dealers and installers?
Old 11-15-2007 | 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

I have been talking to Chris at ECS and he has been straight up with me and is the one that talked me out of the 408ci and into a 346. He gave me a number to call and it took about three days to be able to call from here, but he doesnt answer and is now not returning emails. I have talked to the gentleman from EPP and he said he has tried sending me estimates but for some reason I never get them, even after email verification.

Thats one reason I want to start this now. I can have them order the parts in advanced so the car wont be there for a month. Im more than willing to pay 70% up front and get the stuff ordered in a timely manner and thats why im doing it so early.

Im not trying to be rude or make this thread sound like a call out. Im just curious if anyone else has this problem with tuner shops or is it just me? I know the average of what it will cost me and im not worried about the money.

Thanks for etting me vent a little! LOL
Old 11-15-2007 | 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
I use LG Motorsports and they always respond to my emails and phone calls. Have you tried them? What about ECS (East Coast Supercharging) ? They are Paxon dealers and installers?

Where is LG Motorsports located? Do you have a link to their website? I have heard good things about them also. Just have yet to get to them.
Old 11-15-2007 | 09:48 PM
On The Tree

www.LGMotorsports.com out of Dallas (Wylie) Texas.

Lou Gigiloti is well known in the GM performance world.

You also may want to try going the Lingenfelter route.

Ben

Trending Topics

Old 11-16-2007 | 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

****, send me the car with the parts list you want. I'll take care of the parts and installation. I'll email you, respond by phone,... hell,...i'll even store it for you in a secure garage.

Motorsport Technologies, Doug Rippie motorsports, LG motorsports, A&A superchargers, ECS superchargers,etc etc etc in no random order.
Old 11-16-2007 | 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jdaniel
I have been talking to Chris at ECS and he has been straight up with me and is the one that talked me out of the 408ci and into a 346. He gave me a number to call and it took about three days to be able to call from here, but he doesnt answer and is now not returning emails. I have talked to the gentleman from EPP and he said he has tried sending me estimates but for some reason I never get them, even after email verification.

Thats one reason I want to start this now. I can have them order the parts in advanced so the car wont be there for a month. Im more than willing to pay 70% up front and get the stuff ordered in a timely manner and thats why im doing it so early.

Im not trying to be rude or make this thread sound like a call out. Im just curious if anyone else has this problem with tuner shops or is it just me? I know the average of what it will cost me and im not worried about the money.

I’ve had a lot of work done by ECS and would highly recommend them. Usually they are very good about communicating with customers. I can see how you’d be frustrated if Chris is not answering the phone or returning your e-mails. If you want a forged 346 and a supercharger ECS is the place to go.

It’s good to plan ahead, but if you choose a large reputable shop they should have most everything on hand or be able to get it within a day or two, so I really think there’s no need to have anyone order parts in advance. I definitely wouldn’t pay in advance. ECS never asked me for any money upfront and most reputable shops won’t unless there are extenuating circumstances.

I hope you find a shop that suits your needs, and that you end up with a tire shredding monster.
Old 11-16-2007 | 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Im still trying to get in touch with ECS. I know this is an expensive project and thats why I say I would pay some upfront. Anyhoo... Thanks for the replies I did get and the car will most definetly get done soon and I cant wait!
Old 11-18-2007 | 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Default Pm

PM sent
Old 11-19-2007 | 08:08 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

I just now saw this thread. Daniel, hopefully you got my quote from today. I saw that you finally got my engine quote last week, I'm glad it made it through this time.
Thanks! Bob
Old 11-20-2007 | 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

I work at a corvette shop and if we had all of the parts we would have that all installed in less than a week in most cases. But it all depends on other projects that are being worked on at that time. I dont know how far in advance the boss plans things but I dont think much goes out father than month, but that wouldnt stop a quote. And if the shops are anything like ours it can get pretty crazy and take awhile for a response. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2007 | 02:13 AM
FormerVendor

ECS is the best of the best of the best.

If you can send it there, do it. So it takes a bit to get in touch with him.. Fine. But you will be hard pressed to find ANY tuner in the country who can build forced induction systems like they can.
Old 11-20-2007 | 03:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

If I didnt do all my own work, I would send my car to bob @ exotic. They are probably the best all around shop (meaning excellent work AND customer service)
Old 11-20-2007 | 05:10 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
If I didnt do all my own work, I would send my car to bob @ exotic. They are probably the best all around shop (meaning excellent work AND customer service)
Thanks we really appreciate it! Bob
Old 11-21-2007 | 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the engine quote, Bob. Thats exactly how I wanted it broke down. Most people send me a solid price tag and doesnt take the time to itemize it... and its difficult to spend $20,000+ on something when you dont know what you're getting. I look forward to the quote for the labor of install, and the Procharger kit. Im not sure what to do about the tranny yet. I've been told that the stocker will take the abuse and others say get the RPM level 5. I will beat the car regularly because I love driving... so what ever you think is best. Other than that, the DTE brace, better clutch (I have the Spec III+ currently) and the upgraded halfshafts is it. I will call you today as soon as I get the chance and talk to you if the phones will cooperate with me.
Old 11-21-2007 | 12:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick

I would love to be able to do the work all on my own. I have many knowledgable friends that are willing to dive in and help, but my current employment status (overseas) is going to keep me away from home for the next couple years. I will be in and out of the States 45 days of the year and thats about it. Doing it this way will allow me to enjoy it when I do get home.
Old 11-21-2007 | 07:53 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Thanks for the engine quote, Bob. Thats exactly how I wanted it broke down. Most people send me a solid price tag and doesnt take the time to itemize it... and its difficult to spend $20,000+ on something when you dont know what you're getting. I look forward to the quote for the labor of install, and the Procharger kit. Im not sure what to do about the tranny yet. I've been told that the stocker will take the abuse and others say get the RPM level 5. I will beat the car regularly because I love driving... so what ever you think is best. Other than that, the DTE brace, better clutch (I have the Spec III+ currently) and the upgraded halfshafts is it. I will call you today as soon as I get the chance and talk to you if the phones will cooperate with me.
Thanks!
I take it you didn't get my e-mail on the other items? I think I sent it out to you either Friday or Saturday. Let me know, I can resend it again. Bob
Old 11-21-2007 | 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

I didnt get it. I dont know what the deal is with the email. I will be looking for it though.

Quick Reply: Whats with tuner shops?