Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

RAM Powergrip HD failed after 3 passes/600 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default RAM Powergrip HD failed after 3 passes/600 miles!

Well I am very dissapointed in this clutch. I had my car at the track today for the first time after breaking in the new clutch and diff. I was on e.t. streets and my car is making mid 400whp. The clutch had about 600 miles on it and I made 2 passes before the final one and they were both sort of easy launches so I let it rip the last time with a 5500 rpm launch which resulted in a little tire spin but overall good launch and then when I hit 2nd it was like the shifter hit a wall. I immediately let off and tried to put the car in 3rd and wouldn't go in or any other gear for that matter. I guess something must have broke in the pressure plate because the clutch just doesn't disengage regardless of what you do. I can't get the car in gear with it running and when I do get it started I can push the clutch in and drive around as if I weren't touching the pedal. So I had read about some problems with these clutches and bought it anyway, I guess you live and learn. I haven't spoke to Texas Speed yet which is who I bought it from but hopefully they may be able to help me out a little! Although I will not put another RAM in it The clutch and diff were installed at a well known shop and there was no sign of any problems before this complete failure.

Sorry for the long post but I am little ill right now and just wanted to let everyone know that another ram clutch has failed prematurely!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I have had 0 problems with mine so far and that is with a lot of punishment....
Old 12-02-2007, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

I have seen several people have really good luck with them but more have had no luck with them. I haven't had it removed from the car yet but when it is I will post up what the problem is. Before the track I was very happy with the way it drove and the way the clutch held so maybe it was just a part failure I don't know! It is just weird to me because it showed no sign of any problems what so ever just stopped working immediately on the 3rd launch!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds more like a problem with the hydraulics than the actual clutch.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

will it go in gear with the car off and not when its running? if so that deff. sounds like a clutch problem. did you hear anything break when it happened?

you should pull the bellhousing inspection plate off and see if anything broke?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

It is already at the shop that installed it and they are going to give me a call when they get it apart!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:04 AM
TECH Regular

Well I have a RAM HD in my 99 (for what reason I dont know) but it came with it when I bought the car. Needless to say its gone and Ive only put 3K miles on the car, although it could have a lot more from the previous owner. Personally I didnt like the way it drives, it's a pita to drive in traffic and chatters like crazy. I just ordered a Mcleod twin, which will be night and day compared to teh RAM.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:03 AM
10 Second Club

I have talked to the shop that does my work and they are telling me to go with a Spec 3+! w/ billet flywheel!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would pass on that spec clutch. My friends have had them and had nothing but problems with them. Also heard more than a few horror stories of the clutch grenading. There is a shop by me that specializes in vettes and they only put in mcleod twin disk if the car is modded beyond bolt ons. A few bolt ons they will put in a spec 3, but they don't reccomend it.

Get a texralia oz700. If you plan on spraying it eventually go with a mcleod twin disk. That is the clutch, oz700, i will be getting for my vette when the stock one goes.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree go with a Tex OZ700. The clutch is one of those parts where it is better to spend a little more money and get one that works. This clutch has been proven over and over again. I really can't understand why people even try other brands. I guess after my Exedy twin, I just really like my Tex single and it holds my 499 rwtq and does 1.6 60's.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by scramblerman
I would pass on that spec clutch. My friends have had them and had nothing but problems with them. Also heard more than a few horror stories of the clutch grenading. There is a shop by me that specializes in vettes and they only put in mcleod twin disk if the car is modded beyond bolt ons. A few bolt ons they will put in a spec 3, but they don't reccomend it.

Get a texralia oz700. If you plan on spraying it eventually go with a mcleod twin disk. That is the clutch, oz700, i will be getting for my vette when the stock one goes.
I know spec doesn't have a great reputation either but from my understanding there is a huge difference between the regular stage 3 and the stage 3 +! My shop uses Textralia clutches also but they said the spec 3+ has been working really well for them lately. They also said spec is under new management now ans has remodeled their clutches a little and they are a lot better now. Oh well I guess I have some thinking to !do
Old 12-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shoaf85
I know spec doesn't have a great reputation either but from my understanding there is a huge difference between the regular stage 3 and the stage 3 +! My shop uses Textralia clutches also but they said the spec 3+ has been working really well for them lately. They also said spec is under new management now ans has remodeled their clutches a little and they are a lot better now. Oh well I guess I have some thinking to !do
I recently had a Spec stage 2+ and a Spec aluminum pressure plate and flywheel and while it was great while it lasted it didn't last long and it was never taken to the track. I would not recommend Spec for a stock Honda let alone a Vette with mods. JMHO.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

DO NOT get a spec 3+... i had two go out within 3k miles.... went with a mcleod and i have BEAT THE **** OUT OF IT!!! lol
Old 12-05-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Regular

2nd the McLeod twin disc. last clutch you will ever have to buy. Its taken everything I thrown at it w/o breaking a sweat.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

Where can I look up some info on the Mcleod?
Old 12-05-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

do a search in the MT section of the forums. while you are there take a look at the 6 speed fast list, almost all of the top dogs run McLeod...
Old 12-05-2007, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by alwaysinboost
do a search in the MT section of the forums. while you are there take a look at the 6 speed fast list, almost all of the top dogs run McLeod...

i agree, either a mcleod or an exedy if they like to spend the extra money on a lighter clutch they replace more often

another very good option is the textralia exo skel. those things have had pretty rave reviews as well, but, i dont think you can rebuild them like a mcleod.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Well this makes me worry now...I was going to buy this too.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know of several people running the RAM with hard track launches. What you describe is the clutch fused together with the flywheel or pressure plate. Some guys get lucky and after letting cool snap the pedal several times it breaks free. Hence why my 444rwhp low 11sec 50 plus passes on ET streets with 4.10s has a Textralia single disc with no show of it giving out any time soon. I can daily drive the car easy with no herky jerky and launch to a 1.5x 60fts at the track and drive between 1-2.5hr drive home.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

I have the spec 3+ with fidanza flywheel and i love it. I had an RPS with didnt last very long. The spec 3+ seems to hold the power very well.

Quick Reply: RAM Powergrip HD failed after 3 passes/600 miles!