Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

99 Vette Competition Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Vette Competition Mode

When I hold the traction control button down for 5 seconds what is the competition mode? I haven't been able to find any info on this, does it change the suspension or tune. I will be going auto crossing on Sunday and wanted to see if this helps handling
Old 02-05-2008, 09:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

comp mode wasnt avalible till 2000
Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Really? Mine is a 99 and it will go into that mode? The dash shows Competition where the odometer should be...
Old 02-05-2008, 01:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

mines a 99 too comp and active handling werent avalible till 2000 if i remember correctly, anybody else care to chime in?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

i stand corrected looked it up for ya

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...competion+mode

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...competion+mode
Old 02-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Ive got a 98 corvette convertible that has the competition mode. Ive used it but never seen any difference in performance or handling. If you find out let me know.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

Never even knew about this mode. I wonder if it really works.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by daniel044
Never even knew about this mode. I wonder if it really works.
Yeh. I found out one day when I read my owners manual. I read thru it and a piece fell out. It was like they forgot to put it in there and just printed it on another sheet and inserted it in there. I tried competition mode racing around town and at an autocross once. I couldnt tell any difference. So far ive never met another 98 vette that has it. I'm sure there is somewhere but I'd like to know what it does to the car.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Another thing some people dont know is that you can check all your codes on the dic on your gauge cluster. It will tell you every code you have without having to take it to the dealer or find a scanner. You can reset them also. Sorry but I thought I'd throw that in. Maybe it will help you somewhere down the road.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Comp mode takes off TCS but leaves active handling on ......I believe....
Old 02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by whatsgrip?
Comp mode takes off TCS but leaves active handling on ......I believe....
So good for autocross but not for drag racing? That's what it sounds like.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Launching!

It shuts off the traction control and "loosens" up the active handling to where greater slip angles are tolerated before the system steps in. Thats it. It can be an annoyance, or a lifesaver, depending on your skill and situation.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

takes off traction control and leaves on active handeling on as stated above in simplier terms
Old 02-05-2008, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black98supervette
So good for autocross but not for drag racing? That's what it sounds like.
I think maybe it would be just the other way around. If you loose it on a shift at the drags it will keep you off the wall (with a little luck) and I would think that at an autocross where you may want to steer with the throttle some it might step in a little before you want it to. I don't autocross, so I'm guessing here. I do track my car though and it works about right on a road course.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Default Competitive Driving Mode - IT WORKS!

On my '99 Convertible, "Active Handling" was an extra-cost OPTION. It is identified by the 3-position rotary switch on the console, just to the right of the "Traction Control" pushbutton.

In every day driving, on all types of roads (wet, dry, sandy, etc) the "Traction Control" system will prevent sudden spin-outs in a loss of traction condition, which could be caused by a slippery road surface, or excessive throttle input by the driver, or any combination thereof. The "Competitive Driving" mode, invoked by pressing and HOLDING the "Traction Control" pushbutton for at least 5 seconds with the engine running, turns OFF the Traction Control, allowing SOME wheel spin, but still keeps the Active Handling system ON, which will allow for more aggressive driving (on a track) without the sudden loss of power caused by the Traction Control system detecting wheel spin (the Traction Control System cuts power to the engine momentarily whenever it detects wheel spin, in addition to applying any necessary braking to keep the car under control). It could be considered the "ideal" setup for "amateurs" for track use - it allows the driver full control of the throttle while still maintaining a margin of safety, should he get the car into a spin - it would take over and help recover in s SPLIT SECOND.

In a recent Autocross event, I was alerted to the presence of "Competitive Driving" mode by a highly skilled Autocrosser, who told me how to use it and why. It made a TWO SECOND difference in my lap times with it turned ON, compared to my previous runs with the car in "standard" mode - EVERYTHING turned ON. Before using "Competitive Driving" mode, I could feel the car cut engine power whenever I got too aggressive on the throttle - you could feel it "bog down" momentarily, and I knew my lap time would be slower, AND IT WAS.

(Guys who drag race their cars use this mode for MUCH BETTER E.T's, as it lets the wheels spin, won't cut power, but still will help them keep the car straight in case it tries to get sideways for some reason).

ONE FINAL NOTE: If you shut the car off, you must re-engage "Competitive Driving" mode again, as the car's systems revert back to "normal" operation (everything ON) when you shut of the ignition.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe99SS
On my '99 Convertible, "Active Handling" was an extra-cost OPTION. It is identified by the 3-position rotary switch on the console, just to the right of the "Traction Control" pushbutton.
The 3 position rotary switch has nothing to do with Active Handling. It is the optional F45 Selective Ride Control Suspension. F45 is the RPO code. This allows adjustment on the shocks. F55 was the later option starting in 2003 and replaced F45. It is an improved version called Magnetic Ride Control.

JL4 is the RPO code for Active Handling. My 99 has Active Handling and allows Competition Mode. It does not have F45.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

Found this in the F-body vs corvette thread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C5_Z06

Active Handling

In 1998 General Motors developed a system called "Active Handling" which has a stability control feature that uses on-board sensors to measure the vehicle's lateral acceleration, yaw rate, and steering wheel position. These sensors work in conjunction with the vehicle's Anti-lock braking system and traction control system which automatically assist a vehicle's driver in understeering and oversteering situations. The Z06 came standard with the second generation "Active Handling" system. The second generation system added the following substantial improvements to the original system:

New Pressure Modulator

The second-generation Active Handling system utilizes the Bosch version 5.3 hydraulic pressure modulator. Bosch improved this version to become smaller, quieter and more efficient at lower temperatures. The new modulator can operate at -4 °F (-20 °C) resulting in accelerated functioning capacity after cold startups. The pressure sensor originally located in the master cylinder was also integrated into the new pressure modulator.

Dynamic Rear Proportioning

The second-generation Active Handling system utilizes a newly designed dynamic rear brake proportioning system. The new enhancement is a software driven improvement which balances the rear brake pressure electronically thus preventing rear brake bias also known as "Brake Lockup". The new system replaces the physically standard brake proportioning valve and its tubing components thus reducing weight and overall complexity.

Sideslip Angle Rate Control

The second-generation Active Handling system received a major addition in the form of a sideslip angle rate control. This addition is software based and senses a driver's response time to changing vehicle movements during handling maneuvers. The system compensates for driver errors by utilizing the vehicles braking and traction control systems to maintain the stability of the vehicle based upon the parameters programmed by General Motors.

Coefficient of Friction Estimation

The second-generation Active Handling system received another software upgrade in the form of improved calibration algorithms that estimate the friction coefficient of road surfaces. As traction on roads decreases (such as slippery road surfaces), a vehicle is biased towards slipping sideways. The new coefficient estimation takes this traction problem into account and factors it in with the rest of the Active Handling system inputs.

Rear Brake Stability Control

The second-generation Active Handling system also added another software enhancement in the form of a rear brake stability control. This addition releases brake pressure on the inside rear wheel during high lateral acceleration maneuvers. This system assists drivers who do not estimate radius turns correctly during high speed and light braking. The system compensates for driver errors by utilizing the vehicle's braking system thus allowing for a more predictable maneuver while keeping the vehicle on its initial vector.

Better Coordination

As has already been stated the Active Handling system works in conjunction with the Traction Control System. The second generation system continues this relationship but has been modified and refined to target specific rear brake pressures and control engine torque based upon the parameters programmed by General Motors. This modification results in improved acceleration and fewer engine sags.

Competitive Mode

The second-generation Active Handling system incorporated into the Z06 has a unique featured labeled "Competitive Mode". When activated this feature turns the vehicle's Traction Control system off while still employing all the other components of the "Active Handling" system. To enable this feature a driver merely presses down on the Active Handling button for five seconds. This can be done even while the vehicle is in motion.
[edit] Sensors

Steering Angle Sensor: This digital sensor actively monitors the driver's steering inputs and communicates the applied steering wheel angle back to the system. It is accurate to within one degree of steering wheel angle change, and is located inside the steering wheel column.

Yaw-Rate Sensor: This solid-state device utilizes a tiny pair of ceramic tuning forks to measure the actual rate at which the vehicle is pivoting (or yawing) about its center-of-gravity. This data is continuously fed into the Corvette's computer where the yaw rate is compared to the steering angle. Any variation beyond a pre-programmed set of values will result in activation of the appropriate assist feature(s) of the Active Handling System. The yaw-rate sensor on the Corvette is located inside the center console.

Lateral Acceleration Sensor: The lateral accelerometer measures the centrifugal force created during a turn, and is located beneath the passenger seat. The data it provides is weighed against all of the other inputs and is used to calculate whether or not the performance limits of the vehicle are being exceeded under the current speed and traction conditions.

The Second-Generation Active Handling System provides better performance with less perceived intrusion, and is more adept than the original system in controlling the vehicle whenever necessary. The improved agility of the vehicle allows average drivers to perform better during spirited driving, and provides a greater safety margin in emergency situations.
[edit] Summary of Active Handling System Modes

Three different modes are provided in the Active Handling System:

ON — Active Handling is automatically enabled when the vehicle is started. This is also true of the ABS and Traction Control systems.
OFF — Like Traction Control, the Active Handling System may be manually disabled if the driver so desires. This is not true of the ABS, which is always enabled.
COMPETITIVE DRIVING — In this mode, Active Handling and ABS are both enabled, but Traction Control is disabled.

The "OFF" and "COMPETITIVE DRIVING" modes are important features on a high-performance sports car, as skilled drivers may find that some wheelspin and oversteer can be beneficial to their lap times in competitive events. The Corvette's system allows them to operate the car in this fashion when appropriate, although Chevrolet recommends against selecting these modes for street use.[10]

Event.................Performance
0-60 mph.................3.9 sec[5]
0-100 mph.................9.2 sec[6]
0-100-0 mph.................13.56 sec[6]
1/4 Mile.................11.9 sec[3]
Skid Pad.................1.03 G[6]
Top Speed.................171 mph (275 km/h)
Nürburgring Nordschleife Lap Time * 7:56[7]

Quick Reply: 99 Vette Competition Mode