Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C6Z style rear quarters for C5s are a GO!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C6Z style rear quarters for C5s are a GO!!

Here's the first set down the production line.

Mild .5-.75 flare, C6Z/ZR1 style ducts (can be functional with optional brake cooling duct kit), excellent fit and finish with OE gaps. I also have a filler plate available to fill the hole left by factory C5Z side ducts,. 2 scoops works for cereal but not a Corvette! The flare is just enough to give the car some style in the back, and allow thse with 305s to ride a little lower (some wheels stick out just a little perfect for them) but not require new wheels purchase. I've had OE Z06 wheels on with them and they still looked great. I don't have the time right now, more details later!

Here's a painted set on my wife's rockstar pink FRC

Last edited by Whistler; 08-05-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look great
Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Badass. I posted in the thread over on the CF today sort of randomly, but I see I was pretty timely! I need to coordinate several things, but I'm super interested.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like these a little better than the others out on the market. The lip is not as obvious, kind of like stealth mode

Keith
Old 08-05-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

nice i wish you could have used my car. oh well how much?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

The faux C6Z06 on the fenders I am not down with. Like the flare but not the vent.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Faux? They're functional.

03- We'll have pricing hammered down by the end of this week, it depends on how many pre-orders I get. Somewhere in the $800s including a pair of grills for the brake ducts.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

I'm kind of like redrumss, not 100% sure I like the new vents. I realize they're functional, but they are a C6Z design element so it feels a little wanna-be-ish. The C5Z vents are kind of a cool original design element for those cars, so I kind of like 'em.

I guess as I see more, I'll get a better idea. If you do go with the C6 vents and use the cover up plates on the C5 vents, that means the rocker needs to be filled and repainted too correct? Do you think you might do any non-C6 vented versions in the first 8-10 sets?

Thanks! This is really exciting stuff you guys are doing!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

My comment was faux C6Z06 not faux vents.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

I don't think it's any more wanna-be ish than putting C6Z wheels on an older car... it's mostly for style. I think the rear of C5s can be boring (mabye it's because I've worked on so many, and they all look the same with diff. colors and wheels) so that's why I designed these.

The fill plate fits from behind, but has a stepped lip so that it's smooth with the outer rocker when installed. Depending on how permanent you want it to be I would recommend different adhesives to install it. The rocker would then need to be primered and painted.

Versions with no vents would require a different mold, so if enough people are ready to buy them, I'd consider dedicating the resources needed for that. I personally don't think it'd be worth buying new quarters, the time to put them on and have them painted, just for that mild flare, but I'm not everybody. If people want it I can do it, no problem.

Thanks for the compliments though! I have already broken ground on a new hood for C5s (not another one! ) as well as a few other body components. I can do carbon fiber as well as direct injection urethane , these quarters are the first of some cool new F body and Corvette stuff I have planned.

Originally Posted by DTZ06
I'm kind of like redrumss, not 100% sure I like the new vents. I realize they're functional, but they are a C6Z design element so it feels a little wanna-be-ish. The C5Z vents are kind of a cool original design element for those cars, so I kind of like 'em.

I guess as I see more, I'll get a better idea. If you do go with the C6 vents and use the cover up plates on the C5 vents, that means the rocker needs to be filled and repainted too correct? Do you think you might do any non-C6 vented versions in the first 8-10 sets?

Thanks! This is really exciting stuff you guys are doing!
Old 08-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome. I've been thinking of a different hood too (had this BPP for ~3 years now). I'll shoot you a PM sometime about the total costs (parts, prep, paint).

Thanks for all the additional info!

DT
Old 08-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned

I prefer the L5 C5 fender flares.

You could get the L5 fender flares for $800 and they look meaner.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 AM
AVB
Launching!

Any pics from the rear showing both sides? Even better, with wider tires stuck in there?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PINK!!!! Haha, I had a feeling it was gonna be pink. You said it was gonna be "different". That is pretty cool

I like those flares. hmmmm..

take care
Steve
Old 08-09-2008, 04:23 AM
TECH Regular

Your wife isn't blonde is she? Haha, sorry had to make a Barbie joke. Nice work on the fenders, alway snice to have new products. Also IMO plenty of people add the Z06 vent to FRC's (like mine had) and I dont think there is anything wrong with it.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by c5_ls1_6spd
I prefer the L5 C5 fender flares.

You could get the L5 fender flares for $800 and they look meaner.
Yep...I would have to agree....but....good luck on your venture!
Old 08-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Whistler
Versions with no vents would require a different mold, so if enough people are ready to buy them, I'd consider dedicating the resources needed for that.
I've looked at the pics for about a week now and I think I'm pretty firmly in the camp of no C6Z duct. I like the OEM spec C5Z duct, and from a design aesthetic [and IMHO of course ], the C6Z duct is way too harsh and angular. The corners, front alcoves, etc., of the C5 are much softer lines (the C6Z rear duct works with the hard angled C6 front duct).

I may be in the minority and I totally understand the manufacturing overhead to potentially only support a few customers, so I guess I'll see how it plays out.

I have already broken ground on a new hood for C5s (not another one! ) as well as a few other body components. I can do carbon fiber as well as direct injection urethane , these quarters are the first of some cool new F body and Corvette stuff I have planned.
Definitely post some pics when you can of the hood! I tell you, I'd love something with partially exposed CF like the MCM hood or just in full carbon then you could always leave some exposed.

I think there's a decent market for LSX vehicle body enhancements - there's a HUGE market in the import scene, and it's never really ramped up much on the domestic side (though a good bit of the import stuff is cheezy).

I'll tell you another item - I currently have a Spectre Werks rear fascia and people really love the rear integrated spoiler. I've love to see something about the same, but with something done custom to the lower section (other than the little wing it's the same as stock). Even something that might accomodate a (OK, breaking my own rule here) a C6 lower fascia or something molded in CF. Also in a flexible urethene, because rigid fiberglass front and rear caps are a huge PITA to get to fit (I wrestled mine for a week).
Old 08-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Quik- Jakki is blonde.. how'd you guess?

DT- I think you might change your mind if you saw it in person.. you might not want to buy it, but I believe you'll like it more. The duct on this car isn't a copy of the C6 one, it's just inspired by it. It's softer and curves on the bottom to minic the "swoop" of the C5 duct. Everyone who has seen it in person has gone ape over it

Either way, the parts will be available to peope who want them, and those who don't like it, won't buy it. I have a firm grasp on the subjectiveness of style. Style and aesthetics will produce the most diverse of reactions from enthusiasts because everyone has a different idea of what looks good.

Power, on the other hand is absolute. There are different ways of going fast, but hauling *** is something everyone can agree on .

Here' a few rear shots of the painted car. I'll post the painted shots of the EB convertible when it's done next week, and a guy is bringing up a NBM coupe up from south FL to get some installed the next week, so I"ll have some different colors and angles to show.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

DT- I think you might change your mind if you saw it in person.. you might not want to buy it, but I believe you'll like it more. The duct on this car isn't a copy of the C6 one, it's just inspired by it. It's softer and curves on the bottom to minic the "swoop" of the C5 duct. Everyone who has seen it in person has gone ape over it
Yeah, I may not be getting a good sense of it from the pics (those kinds of things are hard to determine from photos). Next time I'm in the Orlando area I'll have to shoot you a line and check it out in person (I'm going to get some work done by Mike N. in your neck of the woods, so maybe I'll coordinate something then).

I'm just thrilled we're getting some new alternatives in the body enhancement market!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

i like and don't mind the C6Z scoopes. I may be interested over this winter. What's the price looking for these?

Quick Reply: C6Z style rear quarters for C5s are a GO!!