SAM SS goes 9.17 @ 154 - on MOTOR!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005 | 11:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I can tell you I have more than enough "chassis" and my little ole 2850 raceweight cam only LS1 does not dead hook a 28x10.5" tire on every pass.

Of course I can hook the car.. but I can't dead hook it every pass and when you are going for records, you need perfect traction every single pass.. I get on average 1 to 2 revolutions of tire spin which is enough to knock my 60' from a 1.31 to a 1.36.

Unless you race at a track that VHT's every few runs how can you expect to dead hook every run. I don't race at national events where track prep is perfect.

I can understand running a true 10" tire for classes but we are talking about records here.. The fastest of the fast. Run the tire required. If people have a problem with it, they should grow some ***** and sack up.

I'll be doing something similar to the SAM car with an LS2 base.. I will run a huge *** tire as well.

I think its pretty lame to discredit any record holder just because they didn't run on a true 10" tire. If you got the power and the hard hitting launch that could benafit from more tire, run it and run a faster ET.
Old 04-27-2005 | 12:07 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magnus
I can tell you I have more than enough "chassis" and my little ole 2850 raceweight cam only LS1 does not dead hook a 28x10.5" tire on every pass.

Of course I can hook the car.. but I can't dead hook it every pass and when you are going for records, you need perfect traction every single pass.. I get on average 1 to 2 revolutions of tire spin which is enough to knock my 60' from a 1.31 to a 1.36.

Unless you race at a track that VHT's every few runs how can you expect to dead hook every run. I don't race at national events where track prep is perfect.

I can understand running a true 10" tire for classes but we are talking about records here.. The fastest of the fast. Run the tire required. If people have a problem with it, they should grow some ***** and sack up.

I'll be doing something similar to the SAM car with an LS2 base.. I will run a huge *** tire as well.

I think its pretty lame to discredit any record holder just because they didn't run on a true 10" tire. If you got the power and the hard hitting launch that could benafit from more tire, run it and run a faster ET.
What do you get for setting test/tune records? Internet glory? I must be missing something.

Also...I am putting a cam-only ls1 in my 4-link dragster so good luck beating my 8-second pass. My dragster is 1500 lbs fully loaded with 2 dead bodies!
Old 04-27-2005 | 12:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

k thx.
Old 04-27-2005 | 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Congrats to S.A.M SS & hoping to see the vid

peace
Old 04-27-2005 | 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Great job guys. A run to be proud of.

Kurt
Old 04-27-2005 | 09:24 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Anyone from SAM, please confirm the numbers for me, thanks!
Gotta see a notarized time slip and backup run before it counts. (Considering the recent debate about Hardcore, I simply couldn't resist, LOL).
Old 04-27-2005 | 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
You need a new chassis guy if you can't hook a low 10 car on true 28x10.5's...

Going faster on smaller tires takes a lot more skill than just sticking the biggest tire you can find and calling it a day. Classes limit engine combos, trannies, and tire sizes for exactly that reason.

sorry keith, i love ya like a brother, but i have to agree. It mabye needs to just be dialed in, or perhaps a few things are jsut not clicking. Do you have a rear sway? i dont remember you ever telling me you got one since our swayless v6 days hahaha.
Old 04-27-2005 | 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I still say fire your chassis guy...I know plenty of cars that are consistent on launch at even some of the worst tracks....How often do you change your tires?? I usually get about 20 passes out of mine before I change them. Consistency fades away after that. Fresh meats always yield the best numbers on my car.

I dead hook my 28's with 800 ft lbs off the brake every pass....But it also weighs in at 550 lbs more then your car. There is no need for a stupidly tall tire on your car. Tall tires were meant for Bracket racers Have you tried the stiff sidewall 10.5 tire yet from Mickey? I love mine and run them with no tubes. If anything id go with a 12" wheel on your car before i went with a taller tire.

My thoughts on the subject.

Mike
Old 04-27-2005 | 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Fix the chassis and then take home the record on the small tires...Putting a bigger tire on a car that doesnt necessarily need it is like putting a band aid on a car that makes no power...Ie lightweight shell

Mike
Old 04-27-2005 | 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Fix the chassis and then take home the record on the small tires...Putting a bigger tire on a car that doesnt necessarily need it is like putting a band aid on a car that makes no power...Ie lightweight shell

Mike
ANyone can make a go-cart fly hehe Takes more knowledge to make a heavier car make the power to run your numbers...Thats more impressive and especially doing it on a small tire....We have a class here that I help a buddy with. We run on 8.6" wide Et Streets. Weight is supposed to be 3200 lbs for a SBC car. This car runs 5.80's on those tires....Goes 5.60's on a 28X10.5 with 434 ci and a plate no foggers allowed.

Mike
Old 04-27-2005 | 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Z8'S
LT1's Rule ....................... Give Joe a 15* head and a Jerico and he will stomp on S.A.M's car..............
You're assuming a 9.1x is all the car has in it...that's a BIG assumption...On a good track, with good air, and a more aggressive tune-up, I think the car will go some 8.80's. It would go even faster if we raced at 3,000 lbs like a lot of the other N/A cars do.
Old 04-27-2005 | 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Keep in mind that just because you can't do it, doesn't mean somebody else can't. Jud's car cuts consistant 1.30 60' times, and in ideal conditions will go a high 1.2x. It's VERY consistant, and he's got some high dollar suspension pieces. Get rid of the QA1's you probably have and get some double adjustable Strange/Afco shocks. Those will go a LONG ways.

Your car just needs a little more suspension work. You should consult a local 'chassis guy' to help get you lined out.

There is a significant difference between a True 10.5 and a 'W' tire. Anybody that makes a lot of power and has raced on both tires will tell you that. Hell, a 'W' tire is 1.5" wider! In-fact, it makes so much of a difference, there are many racing sanctions and classes called 'TRUE 10.5'!
Old 04-27-2005 | 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Mike
I don't agree. You should always run the tallest tire allowed by the rules. That will allow you to put a bigger gear in the car, which results in more torque multiplication, which requires a bigger 'foot print', which happens when you run a taller tire.
Old 04-27-2005 | 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
I don't agree. You should always run the tallest tire allowed by the rules. That will allow you to put a bigger gear in the car, which results in more torque multiplication, which requires a bigger 'foot print', which happens when you run a taller tire.
WIthout fixing what hes got it damn sure is a band aid! None of these cars need anything bigger then a 29x10.5 tire...Cars arent fast enough to need anything bigger!
Old 04-27-2005 | 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

WIthout fixing what hes got it damn sure is a band aid! None of these cars need anything bigger then a 29x10.5 tire...Cars arent fast enough to need anything bigger!
Like I suggested, he needs to start reading up on how to make a car hook or he should get his car to an experienced chassis guy. It's not rocket surgery!

Of course he doesn't NEED a 29.5" tire, but if the rules allow it, why not do it?!

I swear, 'LS1 People' are, as a collective group, the dumbest group of car enthusiasts out there. They are even worse than the 5.0 group! Instead of threads about which short-throw shifter or shorty-headers to put on their turds, we have 2,000 threads about which cam to buy, or which Y-Pipe to buy, or which ported throttle body they need. The ratio of dyno-queens to racers is pretty damn high. What was the car count in Georgia, 19?! There are more new threads in the Dyno section in 1 day than that!

Sorry, that last part was a rant.

Last edited by KingCrapBox; 04-27-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2005 | 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats why i like the SSCA's "real street"...they run 5.50's(and some 40's) on a 26X10" slick!

thats ******* awesome!!
Old 04-27-2005 | 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I swear, 'LS1 People' are, as a collective group, the dumbest group of car enthusiasts out there. They are even worse than the 5.0 group! Instead of threads about which short-throw shifter or shorty-headers to put on their turds, we have 2,000 threads about which cam to buy, or which Y-Pipe to buy, or which ported throttle body they need. The ratio of dyno-queens to racers is pretty damn low. What was the car count in Georgia, 19?! There are more new threads in the Dyno section in 1 day than that!

Old 04-27-2005 | 05:48 PM
9 Second Club

Like I suggested, he needs to start reading up on how to make a car hook or he should get his car to an experienced chassis guy. It's not rocket surgery!

Of course he doesn't NEED a 29.5" tire, but if the rules allow it, why not do it?!

I swear, 'LS1 People' are, as a collective group, the dumbest group of car enthusiasts out there. They are even worse than the 5.0 group! Instead of threads about which short-throw shifter or shorty-headers to put on their turds, we have 2,000 threads about which cam to buy, or which Y-Pipe to buy, or which ported throttle body they need. The ratio of dyno-queens to racers is pretty damn high. What was the car count in Georgia, 19?! There are more new threads in the Dyno section in 1 day than that!

Sorry, that last part was a rant.

you're being a bit harsh don't you think? very few people on here are building a dedicated race car or even one that will see a track more than a handful of times per year. not to mention a lot of the guys on here are relatively young and don't have the funds or experience to do more than a small mod here or there. and on a whole if you know anything, yeah, there's of course a huge ratio of dyno-queens to racers everywhere you go! that's definately not something new, nor is it something that's going to change any time soon. look at how difficult it is to compete nowadays. with the amount of time it takes to set up a car, travel from one track or another, and with as tight as the classes are, and as tough as the rules are or as often as they change, is it really any wonder there were only 19 cars in Georgia? and one last point, there's new member's joining every day so there is always going to be dumb little questions about this or that and about short throw shifters and y-pipes. that's just the way it is. but, trust me, i do know what you were referring to, i've just never seen a need to make a comment about it.

Dave
Old 04-27-2005 | 06:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

The tire comments in this thread are for the most part vague and arbitrary.

Running low low 9's like Judson on a 29.5x10.5 ET Drag sounds fine by me.

If someone like Magnus runs at US41 all the time, and needs to run a 28 to hook out there, works for me. It's not Norwalk or RT66.

We don't for the most part care if someone runs 10.3 on 28's, 28w's or 26's. Run whatever you want. Over by us guys on 26's are inconsistent as hell.

Oh and Judson was almost 3300, and I think that's 200+ more than Joe O's average raceweight. Jud's car will go 8.75-8.80's at some point this year. Car makes monster power. We just all need to convince him to get a better rear swaybar.
Old 04-27-2005 | 07:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
The tire comments in this thread are for the most part vague and arbitrary.

Running low low 9's like Judson on a 29.5x10.5 ET Drag sounds fine by me.

If someone like Magnus runs at US41 all the time, and needs to run a 28 to hook out there, works for me. It's not Norwalk or RT66.

We don't for the most part care if someone runs 10.3 on 28's, 28w's or 26's. Run whatever you want. Over by us guys on 26's are inconsistent as hell.

Oh and Judson was almost 3300, and I think that's 200+ more than Joe O's average raceweight. Jud's car will go 8.75-8.80's at some point this year. Car makes monster power. We just all need to convince him to get a better rear swaybar.

Hey John why dont you elaborate a lil more on the 154mph slip
And gimme a break will ya,You're trying to compare a Grapefruit to a Orange.When all you got to do is look at the two ,to know which will produce the most juice....

Quick Reply: SAM SS goes 9.17 @ 154 - on MOTOR!