SAM SS goes 9.17 @ 154 - on MOTOR!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 03:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll get Mike to delete the post and I'll post it under my own name! I didn't mean to cause any confusion, I thought I was on my own name when I posted that but I was obviously wrong! I think Carl is messing with the Matrix again!

-Ben
Old 04-29-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. My car Loves to dead hook, 1-2 revolutions are good for -.005 in the 60' everytime.

2. Keith-I told you 3 times- screw the tires to the rims drop the pressure 1/2 #
and your 60' will be consistant EVERYTIME. DON'T Blame the TIRE.
On a light car you can run alot less pressure and not 'sway' on the top end.
I've run 9 1/2 PSI cold on smaller tires.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:03 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Good job Judson and the SAM crew!
I'll meet you tonight at the A&W on Westheimer in my Firebird and we'll find out who has the fastest car. LOL, right.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry but gotta ask after the posts I seen...

What lunched the engine ,was it mechanical or the "not so" aggressive tuning???

Last edited by Joe Overton; 04-29-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:50 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe Overton

DOH!!
Old 04-30-2005, 09:59 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Chris,
What kinda car are you building these days?
Old 05-01-2005, 06:03 AM
On The Tree

Old 05-01-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
LOL every shop is calling it "our" car...I wonder how the people that built it feel about that.
Erik is an instructor at SAM, and runs the machine shop at HPE. So that is probably the cause to your confusion.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:13 PM
10 Second Club

I don't want to start anything, but every student @ SAM hangs out, or works @ different LS1 shops in Houston. The thing that cracks me up is it's the typical who's got the biggest dick sindrome. Every shop has there strong and weak points, some have unlimited funds. I do all my own work, but I can say @ a couple of these shops there are some real arrogant people. I don't care what you've built, or how fast it is, I care only about the customer service I recieve when I initially walk in the door the first time.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by INVISIBLEZ
I don't want to start anything, but every student @ SAM hangs out, or works @ different LS1 shops in Houston. The thing that cracks me up is it's the typical who's got the biggest dick sindrome. Every shop has there strong and weak points, some have unlimited funds. I do all my own work, but I can say @ a couple of these shops there are some real arrogant people. I don't care what you've built, or how fast it is, I care only about the customer service I recieve when I initially walk in the door the first time.
Actually sometimes it is even worse than that so I know what you mean and then it looks like even another shop was taking credit for our car! Obviously it was just someone on their computer and not Mike himself but I had already recieved two calls about it and then one also from the guy who really IS helping us tune the thing and was also under the impression that others were taking credit for things they did not do. It does happen all the time including between all these shops since everyone has such big egos!

I agree that customer service should be number one at any shop but I also remember some shops I was around when I was younger that were very nice but knew almost nothing. I would have much preferred a more snooty shop that really DID know what they were doing myself than getting screwed up stuff from nice people but that's just me. Now obviously the best deal is smart experienced people that also have a good attitude and that is much harder to come by.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:46 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by racer7088
Actually sometimes it is even worse than that so I know what you mean and then it looks like even another shop was taking credit for our car! Obviously it was just someone on their computer and not Mike himself but I had already recieved two calls about it and then one also from the guy who really IS helping us tune the thing and was also under the impression that others were taking credit for things they did not do. It does happen all the time including between all these shops since everyone has such big egos!

I agree that customer service should be number one at any shop but I also remember some shops I was around when I was younger that were very nice but knew almost nothing. I would have much preferred a more snooty shop that really DID know what they were doing myself than getting screwed up stuff from nice people but that's just me. Now obviously the best deal is smart experienced people that also have a good attitude and that is much harder to come by.
After it blew up, I'm suprised anybody would take credit for tuning it. I guess it's a double-edged sword!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:06 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
After it blew up, I'm suprised anybody would take credit for tuning it. I guess it's a double-edged sword!
Why not? It is still a wet sump and turns over 9000 rpm and makes mid 700s to the wheels and goes over 150 in the quarter with ported stock castings. Who else on here can do that? No one else has but us at SAM and the engine had no tuning problems at all but rather an excessive amount of rpm for the LS1 oiling system so it may be time for a regular old dry sump like everyone else has that is turning this kind of rpm with the LS1.

Basically making 800+ hp and turning that high an rpm with any type of wet sump and also pulling vacuum is just at the limit of what can be expected so I am sure we will finally go dry sump but that is up to Jud. We are pushing the frontiers on what is being done with these LS1 engines and no one else has even been here yet so we're the first. The School is truly breaking new ground and finding some new limits that basically other people only talk about but we're really doing first hand at SAM.

The guy helping us learn FAST and helping us tune the car did cause us to finally really wake up all the extra power that was in our engine with the new heads but even we weren't expecting to be breaking 150 mph that fast and by that much! It's an easy problem to solve but all the pistons looked great! The front two rods which are last in line for oil though were really squealing for mercy on that last run.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

9000 rpm... and mid 700's..... damn..

very impressive..
Old 05-02-2005, 07:10 AM
10 Second Club

I agree that customer service should be number one at any shop but I also remember some shops I was around when I was younger that were very nice but knew almost nothing. I would have much preferred a more snooty shop that really DID know what they were doing myself than getting screwed up stuff from nice people but that's just me.

Now obviously the best deal is smart experienced people that also have a good attitude and that is much harder to come by.

Erik, you are quite correct on all above points, but your last statement is something that should be stressed to the workers @ every shop. Thanks for understanding the point of my post.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
It's not rocket surgery!
LOL Sorry but this made me laugh.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why not? It is still a wet sump and turns over 9000 rpm and makes mid 700s to the wheels and goes over 150 in the quarter with ported stock castings.
Just curious, how did you keep the wet sump setup with a Jesel Belt drive setup on there?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:45 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SSValet
Just curious, how did you keep the wet sump setup with a Jesel Belt drive setup on there?
It's an external wet sump that draws out of the pan and returns oil back to where the filter is. A dry sump pumps oil to a tank where the bubbles can rise to the top and has a cone shaped bottom that returns liquid oil back into the pressure stage pump to the block. you can also run huge amnounts of vacuum on the dry sump too with almost no bad effects whereas the wet sump can start having problems pretty fast.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's an external wet sump that draws out of the pan and returns oil back to where the filter is. A dry sump pumps oil to a tank where the bubbles can rise to the top and has a cone shaped bottom that returns liquid oil back into the pressure stage pump to the block. you can also run huge amnounts of vacuum on the dry sump too with almost no bad effects whereas the wet sump can start having problems pretty fast.
Mine is a dry with the belt drive because of the rpm I will be turning(which seems similar to you guys), and the mentioned Vacuum advantage.
In fact the Dailey pulls so much vacuum, I'll have to neck it down a bit.
I was just curious because I went back and forth on doing the belt drive with the melling high volume/high pressure geroter stock style, but I didn't think there would be any room.
My question was more directed at where your oil pump was located because I couldn't see in the pic they had up in the other thread.
Did Wilson do that manifold, looks good.
I like the CH clearance on the cowl.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erik why spin a motor with that much stroke 8500+ ???....I really dont see why it needs to turn that high to run the number....Just an opinion ofcourse I've seen big motors turn lots of rpms and run but I've also seen big motors not spin hard and run just as quick... The rpm that thing was turning with a sleeved arrangent thats inherently problematic along with the stroke used is pretty much a given to its short lifespan...I'm assuming you guys knew beforehand it was possibly to be a ticking bomb????...pushing the envelope as it were I can understand however..Dont know till ya try thats for sure...
Old 05-07-2005, 01:11 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Erik why spin a motor with that much stroke 8500+ ???....I really dont see why it needs to turn that high to run the number....Just an opinion ofcourse I've seen big motors turn lots of rpms and run but I've also seen big motors not spin hard and run just as quick... The rpm that thing was turning with a sleeved arrangent thats inherently problematic along with the stroke used is pretty much a given to its short lifespan...I'm assuming you guys knew beforehand it was possibly to be a ticking bomb????...pushing the envelope as it were I can understand however..Dont know till ya try thats for sure...
Well that really that hasn't got much to do with anything. ALL the LS1 stuff does that at high rpm. That's just an oiling situation they have and why the ASA stuff and all the other LSx endurance stuff all use dry sumps. Even the new LS7 will be dry sump right from the factory. The old SBC has a better oiling system and a dedicated main oil gallery just for the mains and cam bearings.

Quick Reply: SAM SS goes 9.17 @ 154 - on MOTOR!