New Stock Internals Record: 10.685 at 122.91!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, that 60' is amazing
Old 03-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Very nice man that things movin. Crazy 60ft too.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RUQWIKR
Nothing...DA was killer, drivetrain mass is very low...Carl Rossler builds a killer-light T400 if you want him to. Car is a very well sorted out piece, if I may say. I wish it wasn't the case, but there is a bit of money in places to save weight where it counts (trans, gundrilled / flange lightened axles, etc.). I am north of 40, have been racing brackets and head's up since I was 15, and know it doesn't take that much power to go quick...to go fast speed-wise, yes, but you've got to maximize your energy to get it going.

However, as you can see from the incremental speed between 1/8th and 1/4 mile, it only picked up 22 mph...it doesn't exactly like pulling above 6000 as the stock motor runs out of breath even with the big headers on it.

For what its worth, for yesterday, I put only 5 quarts of Redline 0W-10 race oil in it (including filter amount) and dropped down to a quart of Redline Shockproof Lightweight gear oil. Plugs were stock gapped at 0.037". I only cared about making a couple of runs in that condition. For PINKS ALL OUT, I will go back to Mobil-1 5w30, stick my big battery back in, add the gear lube back in, and if I have time, stick some old LS6 springs on the motor for durability. I have never been, nor will be, secretive about any of my car combo info. I just go out and play once in a while around my busy family and work schedule and enjoy racing.

Happens every time a benchmark moves. Good luck to all in your race and personal goals for 2008! Take care. Dave
Sounds like you have it setup real good. I have a Yank PT4400 in a built 4l60e and 3.73 gears in a 10 bolt, so my drivetrain is not losing as much as yours. Have you had it on a dyno to see what the numbers are or to tune it? (I assume you have the tune in it from the old motor?) My stock internal motor makes peak power at 6128, and that is with a ported LS2 intake. I have it set to shift at 6450. I went 11.42 @ 116.24 with a 1.47 60ft on a 26x8.5 slick at 3100lbs. After that we found out the tune was completely f*#ked up, and picked up another 30hp/28tq in just the tune and a MAF swap. My dyno sheet is here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/824998-stock-internal-ls1-dyno-numbers.html

Now the car is 125lbs lighter, has an electric water pump, and the tune. We'll see how close I can get to you. After that I am spraying it. I will be racing at PINKS All Out in St. Louis in June. Good luck to you as well!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:33 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt D
Sounds like you have it setup real good. I have a Yank PT4400 in a built 4l60e and 3.73 gears in a 10 bolt, so my drivetrain is not losing as much as yours. Have you had it on a dyno to see what the numbers are or to tune it? (I assume you have the tune in it from the old motor?) My stock internal motor makes peak power at 6128, and that is with a ported LS2 intake. I have it set to shift at 6450. I went 11.42 @ 116.24 with a 1.47 60ft on a 26x8.5 slick at 3100lbs. After that we found out the tune was completely f*#ked up, and picked up another 30hp/28tq in just the tune and a MAF swap. My dyno sheet is here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824998

Now the car is 125lbs lighter, has an electric water pump, and the tune. We'll see how close I can get to you. After that I am spraying it. I will be racing at PINKS All Out in St. Louis in June. Good luck to you as well!
No time for the dyno yet...with help from LPE, took a swag at a cal (open loop, but with 85mm descreened MAF). As you know, loose converters plays games with the chassis dyno numbers. To maximize it, it should be dyno tuned. I'd switch to a speed density cal and get rid of the MAF. For your car, I'd go up in gear and sidewall...the 4.56's are 22% more gear, but I have 15% more sidewall total height, so, the overall effective gearing of a 4.00 gear with 26" tires.

The taller sidewall lets you take a greater shockload. For your car, I'd also push my 1-2 shift as far up as you can safely go as you have such an rpm drop between 1 (3.06) & 2 (1.63). When I ran SI and H/C before, I went from a 26x10.5 (on 10" rim) M/T to a 28x10.5S (3055S M/T) with 4.11's (37x9 tooth count) and actually would run better as I could leave much harder, though, my gearing effectively dropped a bit.

Finally, if you can fit one of the Stock Eliminator 9" radials (Hoosier, M/T, & Goodyear make them in ~30" range), they work awesome if you get up on the tire quickly. They are MUCH lighter than a Drag Radial and also come in a 10.5" version in the Hoosiers. I keep a set of 28" bias-ply slicks in the trailer, too, if the track gets too loose / prep sucks as the radials, as noted by many, are less forgiving, whether a slick or DOT.

On PINKS ALL OUT, I'm glad I did not screw with towing through the snow we had last Thursday night / Friday morning to San Antonio. They picked a 9.90 class, so, my 427 combo was too fast, and this combo was too slow. I was out the $110 (racer & 2-crew tickets), but, did not want to hassle with going down there when I wasn't sure about the car yet. Oh, well, can't wait to still run in it later this month. Hang 'em high for the cameras in St. Louis! Good luck. Dave
Old 03-10-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations!

I am glad that all went as planned. Want to put a cam in it next? Give me a call when you get a chance.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 03-10-2008, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Job! Maybe someday I will run those times. I have a 346 All-Motor car that I am trying to run 10.5s in. We took it to Redline yesterday with a larger cam and so far I am disappointed. I am taking it this week to work out the tuning issues. I could not keep the car running yesterday after burnouts or while trying to stage so the best I could pull was a 6.97 with my foot on the gas trying to keep the thing on! I run better times if I do not stall it up so I launch at zero. Best times are below before this new cam. That is a freakin' fast car! Glad to see someone is stepping up in DFW and knows how to do it big!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

Wow 10.6 SI, that's three tenths better than Magnus ran congrats.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No time for the dyno yet...with help from LPE, took a swag at a cal (open loop, but with 85mm descreened MAF). As you know, loose converters plays games with the chassis dyno numbers. To maximize it, it should be dyno tuned. I'd switch to a speed density cal and get rid of the MAF. For your car, I'd go up in gear and sidewall...the 4.56's are 22% more gear, but I have 15% more sidewall total height, so, the overall effective gearing of a 4.00 gear with 26" tires.

The taller sidewall lets you take a greater shockload. For your car, I'd also push my 1-2 shift as far up as you can safely go as you have such an rpm drop between 1 (3.06) & 2 (1.63). When I ran SI and H/C before, I went from a 26x10.5 (on 10" rim) M/T to a 28x10.5S (3055S M/T) with 4.11's (37x9 tooth count) and actually would run better as I could leave much harder, though, my gearing effectively dropped a bit.

Finally, if you can fit one of the Stock Eliminator 9" radials (Hoosier, M/T, & Goodyear make them in ~30" range), they work awesome if you get up on the tire quickly. They are MUCH lighter than a Drag Radial and also come in a 10.5" version in the Hoosiers. I keep a set of 28" bias-ply slicks in the trailer, too, if the track gets too loose / prep sucks as the radials, as noted by many, are less forgiving, whether a slick or DOT.

On PINKS ALL OUT, I'm glad I did not screw with towing through the snow we had last Thursday night / Friday morning to San Antonio. They picked a 9.90 class, so, my 427 combo was too fast, and this combo was too slow. I was out the $110 (racer & 2-crew tickets), but, did not want to hassle with going down there when I wasn't sure about the car yet. Oh, well, can't wait to still run in it later this month. Hang 'em high for the cameras in St. Louis! Good luck. Dave
I am not coming off of a transbrake, so the shock isn't too bad. 1.47 60fts on a 8" slick. I leave off of a 4000rpm footbrake, and the PT4400 converter flashes to 4800-5000. I am going to be adding more tire and more gear, so we'll see how it runs in the next few months. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:18 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Wow 10.6 SI, that's three tenths better than Magnus ran congrats.
John, remember the good old days when Raughhammer ran in the 11.50's and we were all amazed. If you were not worried about being NHRA legal, I could save 200#'s off the car (full cage, window net, Ultrabell, trans blanket / shield, driveshaft loop, battery cut-off, etc. You could also completely strip the car out.

I would love for all of us to do something like this to a LS1 F-car, though, we'd have to be crazy and sadistic to do it! I am sure that LOTS of us have seen this thread-from-the-dead!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885

PS: Are my pics above not working anymore or is it just my work filtering?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

Very nice, -1000 DA that would be a tenth or so right there, I think Keith ran in like 2000 DA air I forget when he actually ran the 10.9's I think they were towards the end of the summer and we see a lot of +2000 DA days around then. I can believe a 10.6.

Maybe you should do H/C for Pinks and run 10.dohs.

I still remember when Raugh went 10.7 NA with H/C we up here were all like dauuuuyyym.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Motorboater

Congrats, that's awesome!!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Glad to see you did it with a certified cage! I know a lot of the cam only guys didn't even have cages. I personally don't see what the point is if you're not 100% legal. Some tracks will boot you after one pass and you won't be allowed back until you get a cage. Plus the rules exist to protect you and the guy next to you. Just my opinion folks.

RUQWIKR.

P.S. Nice video. What did you have your front shocks set at and do you use adjustable springs? It came down really nice and did not have much rebound at all.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by PewterZ28
Glad to see you did it with a certified cage! I know a lot of the cam only guys didn't even have cages. I personally don't see what the point is if you're not 100% legal. Some tracks will boot you after one pass and you won't be allowed back until you get a cage. Plus the rules exist to protect you and the guy next to you. Just my opinion folks.

RUQWIKR.

P.S. Nice video. What did you have your front shocks set at and do you use adjustable springs? It came down really nice and did not have much rebound at all.
I only bring up the no cage because, for example, my GTO. It runs 11.20's on a H/C M6 set up, but, I know if I go to the Texas Motorplex, I'm done after two runs max. However, other tracks aren't always as strict. Plus, everyone has a different desire, budget, use for their cars, etc., and may not want to have a rollbar or rollcage in.

On the struts (single adjustable QA1, non-R's), the runs on Saturday were at 3 clicks from full soft (10 or 12 clicks?, can't remember, from full soft to firm). Rears are the same but LH is on 5 from softest and RH is 7 with 22psi in the airbag (RH only). Swaybar is hollow Hotchiss. Take care. Dave
Old 03-10-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good stuff Dave!

I'm out of town this week. I will update you on the SI list early next week.

Congrats!
Old 03-10-2008, 04:47 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet runs. Good luck at Red River.

Coach
Old 03-10-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

what year motor?
still the same casting head it came with?
still the same cam it came with?
springs?

what plugs?
air filter in or out?

i'm sure i will think of something else lol
Old 03-10-2008, 06:22 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by dlove
what year motor?
still the same casting head it came with?
still the same cam it came with?
springs?

what plugs?
air filter in or out?

i'm sure i will think of something else lol
Discussed before...same, never been opened, etc., etc. I held the record back 6-years ago for a while, and always try to be VERY detailed and open.

As in an earlier post, stock plugs gapped at 0.037ish. Air filter in as I only saw 0.4-0.7 mph on my 427, so, why take a chance. WS6 airbox base, SLP lid, through unscreened 85mm MAF.

Please re-read the posts as most is covered, but I welcome any discussions. Good luck. Dave
Old 03-10-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Discussed before...same, never been opened, etc., etc. I held the record back 6-years ago for a while, and always try to be VERY detailed and open.

As in an earlier post, stock plugs gapped at 0.037ish. Air filter in as I only saw 0.4-0.7 mph on my 427, so, why take a chance. WS6 airbox base, SLP lid, through unscreened 85mm MAF.

Please re-read the posts as most is covered, but I welcome any discussions. Good luck. Dave
i read it...however i didnt look in the si list thread...

so im guessing it was an 01. I was also just checking to make sure that if it was an earlier block that a newer cam wasnt put in. Then you never said what brand plugs, i just wanted to check. Little things add up
Old 03-10-2008, 07:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by dlove
i read it...however i didnt look in the si list thread...

so im guessing it was an 01. I was also just checking to make sure that if it was an earlier block that a newer cam wasnt put in. Then you never said what brand plugs, i just wanted to check. Little things add up
Sorry, forgot to put the plug type...I did not put in my NGK TR6's from my 427, so, I ran to Autozone and got whatever Bosch iridium tipped "stock" plug in their computer for an LS1. Take care. Dave
Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW!!! Congrats!

Quick Reply: New Stock Internals Record: 10.685 at 122.91!