Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where have you raced and how was it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default where have you raced and how was it?

i got this off of another forum im on. thought it was neat

Maple Grove, PA - made my first pass there in the cavalier. looking back the track was awesome far as track prep. some of the officals were buttheads. i think i got in a total of 5 runs the 2 times i was there and paid over $50 combined for admission. paid too much and got so little.

Thompson, OH - LMAO!! what a freaking joke. the track goes uphill worse than BSD. and the return road was more like an autocross course. and the dumb lady handing out slips kept giving everyone tips on how to race.

Cecil County, Md - ran the cav there. it was the last race of the year, weather and track conditions made it so we only ran 1/8th mile. but i was running 9's in the 1/8th at BSD i run 10s in the 1/8th

South Mountain, PA - the pit area was the pits! the track was so so. but i hear it became nice since the new owners took it over.

Numidia, PA - i hear its faster than BSD. never raced but was there as a spectator.

BSD, PA - what can i say? its my home track. i know its not the greatest (people seem to forget that i realize this fact) but the people are nice and i always have a great time. it wouldnt hurt Beaver Bob to spruce it up. and some people complain to me about how much the track sucks like im the owner
Old 01-08-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gateway International Raceway- Go there many times a year, very nice place, great food, but the track prep could be better, mostly due to a lot of street cars running street tires, but there is a slick only night that works better.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 AM
12 Second Club

U.S 41 i like it. Its a all around good track. Ive been too worse and i cant complain.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:16 AM
12 Second Club

Houston Raceway Park - great track only complaint is it is CROWDED I spent 30 min - 1 hr in the staging lanes.

Ben Bruce Memorial Raceway (Evadale) - I ran .1 slowed than I did at HRP. Redneckville U.S.A. around a 5 min wait in the staging lanes
Old 01-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Teching In

faynam in NC: decent 1/4 track, best times cut in tower lane, freaky fridays can have a rough crowd, sunday's tnt is alot more family oriented.

Dunn/benson in nc: not very good 1/8 track, but they have done alot of improvements over the past couple of years and are trying to turn it into a 1/4, again cut my best times in the tower lane (and at this track unless your running slicks your gonna cut your best time in this lane as well), not very family oriented on thursday tnt

pride
Old 01-09-2009, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

Midstate dragway. I have raced points there for the last 5 yrs. I consider it
my home track even though gateway is much closer.
after many improvements it is a nice place.

Gateway. I like gateway i just wish the management cared about bracket
racers.

Coles county dragway. a realy neat little time warp of a place. hooks realy
well. kind of short shut down.

I 57 dragway. another great little 1/8 mile outlaw joint.

sikeston dragstrip. I love this place and wish it was about 3 hrs. closer to my
house.

O.R.P. Indianapolis. well what more can I say, I mean its Indy.

Beach Bend Raceway park. an awsome track with a lot to see. wish the pits
were a little better for the bigger races
Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Primary track is Lebenon Valley Dragway (LVD) http://www.dragway.com

Honestly this is the worst track in the North East.

In recent years the new owners have improved the traction and tried to get spills cleaned up more quickly. They have put a new board to show results and their time slips are MUCH more detailed, giving not only your time but weather conditions.

If you run here, get a time, and go ANYWHERE else you will be faster given an equivilent LVD conditions. I call this place the house cue in the pool hall of racing.

Epping- I went to it once when the best way to get there was some back *** way. I didnt like the gravel pits and the track was slick as **** in late september, otherwise faster then LVD
Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
9 Second Club

Ohhh man I've got a pretty good list.....

Sacramento Raceway, Sacramento CA-Wednesday night drags pretty good but track prep sucks.... and no cars faster than 11.50 so they could fit more goddamn imports in the lanes... They stopped prepping the track on wednesday cause no really fast cars needed it... So it's a waste for seriously fast cars... Great track on T&T Fridays and Saturday, as well as select "Grudge Night Saturdays" to combat streetracing. Park as close to the staging lanes as you can. Food expensive but good, bleachers are the only seating. Also tech is pretty lax.

Infineon Raceway Sonoma CA-Incredible track, Incredible facility. One of the best tracks in the country. Looks like it's downhill but it's because of an uphill shutdown area (which helps slowing your car down). Large staging lanes. I believe there are 15 lanes. Usually incredible weather and great air. Sea level track. Track prep usually great even on wednesday night at the street drags. Tech is STRICT. Can be anything from opening your hood to being questioned about what type of SFI bellhousing you have and having the guy actually get on his back and look.

Famoso Raceway Bakersfield CA-Pretty good track from the two times I've been there. Food wasn't great. Track prep was questionable when I was there when we had rented the whole track. Return road was a f-in minefield. Parking area was also pretty rocky with alot of gravel ending up in your slicks.... Nice staging lanes though. Pretty long and could fit a bunch of cars.

Richmond Dragway, Richmond VA-Uggghh..... not the greatest track by any means of the word. Short shutdown area, return road reminds me of the highway of death in Iraq. Parking area is straight up in the dirt. Track was pretty damn hillbilly but it got the job done i suppose. Track prep was okay and the cost to race was cheap....

Virginia Motorsports Park-Never got to run cause it started friggin pouring but seemed like a GREAT facility. Lanes seemed kind of narrow but that was looking from the spectators side of the track and not actually down in the lanes. Seemed like it had a huge burnout area from the box to the beams. Almost like you could do a halftrack burnout and still be behind the lasers... Food was great and traction seemed to be good for the ppl who got to race before it rained...
Old 01-09-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Midstate Dragway, Havana,Ill.: Much nicer track than it use to be. It is my home track that I'm going to spend more weekends at this year.

Cordova, Ill.: Nice 1/4 mile track thats been around for alot years. Good people, nice big events.

RT.66, Joliet,Ill.: Great facility, great track prep, pricey everything(hotdogs ect.), many large events with great spectator options.

Gateway: Great place wish it were a little closer.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Cordova, il. : Like 3d said great place for the 1/4 mile for all central to northwest illinois guys
Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

The time I went to Gateway sucked *****. 5 1/2 hours, got to run 2 times. Not worth the drive!!!

KCIR is where I go for now on until they close it down. $20 to get in and race. 14 passes in one night. Gate opens at 5:30, racing starts at 6:00. Bad thing is racing stops right at 10:00. Still a great place and crew.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Sacramento Raceway, Sacramento CA-Wednesday night drags pretty good but track prep sucks.... and no cars faster than 11.50 so they could fit more goddamn imports in the lanes... They stopped prepping the track on wednesday cause no really fast cars needed it... So it's a waste for seriously fast cars... Great track on T&T Fridays and Saturday, as well as select "Grudge Night Saturdays" to combat streetracing. Park as close to the staging lanes as you can. Food expensive but good, bleachers are the only seating. Also tech is pretty lax.
thats where i race at to, Wednesday nights i dont think they prep the track at all.ive spun all the way down the strip before.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Coles county dragway- Not a completely bad 1/8 mile track for cars running 7.5 and slower. But a lot of guys ive see that have a substantial amount of power have troubles hooking. They will let any one go down that track, usually 4X4 trucks that have loose mud under there trucks, and shake it off on launch from dry hop, personal experience. Cheap to race, alot of events, goood test and tune track.

U.S. 41- Always good track prep, never had a problem hooking. Is a little pricey, but worth it on a good night. On a good night you wont have to wait longer than 10 minutes for a pass. But that will end if someone windows their block. Clean-up time tends to take anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour. Recently i have seen to many break downs, but all were more towards the end of the season.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Kil-Kare Dragway - My home track. Track surface and prep is one of the best I have been on. 60' times are always good. They care about bracket racers. Timing system is old and outdated and track crew just got replaced this year so we'll see

National Trail Raceway - Raced here for about 5 years. People are great, including the track crew. Track surface is questionable and they don't put much effort into bracket racing.

ORP Indy - Not much to say here, it INDY!

Norwalk Raceway Park - Great track, great facility, well run, loved it here. Just wish it was closer to home.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Milan Dragway- Milan, Michigan. My home town track. Some people complain about it, but I love it. Prep is usually decent, and most of the officials are good. One guy is kind of an ***, but you'll have that. It's the only track I've ever raced at, but I have been to Norwalk & National Trail quite a few times.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Gateway Intl. Raceway- Raced Pinks All Out there last June, track was good.
Memphis Motorsports Park- Raced with NMCA there many times, racing Pinks A.O. in May
Maple Grove PA- Raced there with NMCA, very long drive but a neat place to be
Cordova IL- Raced there with NMCA, bad weekend with the car, track is OK
Bowling Green KY- been there a lot, I like it there
Sikeston MO- closest track to me, good 1/8 mile facility
Dyersburg TN- Hard hooking 1/8 mile track, broke a few axles and rear ends there
Paragould AR- Cool place to be, as old school as it gets for drag racing
Benton IL- I57 dragstrip, pretty good 1/8 mile strip, close to home
Old 01-10-2009, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Raced at Kilkare in Xenia, Ohio and at Norwalk. Track prep between the 2 was night and day. Wish I lived closer to Norwalk.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Houston Raceway Park- Nice track, prepped very good, but very crowded.

Guam Raceway Park- Humidity is normally high and the track is not prepped at all. When weather holds up it is fun though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU4tCoLeg8E

Last edited by Caribe; 01-10-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:05 PM
7 Second Club

Okay, my list in order from first race at age 8 (Florida unless noted):

Moroso Motorsports Park (now Palm Beach Int' Raceway): Always had a good time here, wasn't around for the decline after Dick Moroso passed away and haven't been to it yet after the complete re-model. Gotta love a track with a drag strip, road course, skid pad and go kart track.

Miami Hollywood Motorsport Park: Only been to two races here, and both when I was too young to race. Decent facility, was being leased by Moroso family and went under in '92 to nearly homes bitching about the noise. Yeah, there's something new!

Gainesville Raceway: My home track, started racing there in 1994. Track has been good to me, traction can be an issue on TNT nights but not very often on Saturdays and bracket races. Been to the Gatornationals every year since '95 (note to everyone: try to make an NHRA national event once in your life. Nitro in the eyes and feeling the ground shake is awesome!). I've had the best success here, grabbing 5 wallys, two division 2 championships and three track championships. They just started their 2009 season yesterday with a TNT, and still hooking!

Jax Raceway: Only been there 3 times, but very friendly people and touhg racers. Track went under due to location to Jacksonville airport a few years back, as far as I know nothing build on it yet.

Orlando Speedworld: Been a few times, only raced once. Traction wasn't an issue (for a 13 second street car) but never made the big street race in October.

Silver Dollar Raceway: Small track in Georgia, raced there once in 1998 for the E.T. Bracket Finals. Downhill staging lanes , covered stands, no traction problems.

Atlanta Dragway (Commerce, GA): Been a few times, raced there twice for the E.T. Bracket Finals. No traction problems (running mid 11s at the time), pulling under the tower/tunnel and out into the stand/race area is cool.

Pomona, CA: Made the cross country trek from Florida to California for the National Championship in the Firebird in 2003. What an experience! Treated like a pro racer, made the finals but lost (hey, number two in the world isn't bad right?), sights and sounds unbelievable.

South Georgia Motorsports Park (Cecil, GA): Raced there a few times, all concrete track. Ran the E.T. Bracket Finals in 2005, walked away with a wally in Race of Champions. No traction problems.
I think that's it.

Derek