Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Engineering Front Motor Plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Comp Engineering Front Motor Plate

First - Im not tryin to bash anyone here or start a flame war.

WOW - I just got the Comp Engineering LS Front plate in and this thing is bad ***.

I looked around at all the plates out there, the S&W and Madman (sorry again not trying to bash just stating an opinion) and wasnt thrilled about the 3/side scrawny bolts that would hold the engine in place.

I will post some pics later today, but I can tell you Comp did their homework on this ( maybe because Rick Moroso had/has some badass vettes that Kurt built) The plates use the common 3 waterpump bolts in addition to atleast 3 other bolts per side using spacers and a billet block. Will definately take some work to get the alternator in there but migh be as simple as mounting it to the plate.

I will try to get this bolted onto my mock-up block and get some pics up, but if youre looking to do a motor/mid plate setup, this is a definate to consider.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what was the price?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately waiting on pics. This is good to hear.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, what was the price and pictures would be good.

I have an old billingsley one that Burkhart made, holds the motor on with the 6 little bolts (this one is all one piece) and it's decently strong, I haven't had any problems with it yet, but the next project it would be nice to see some other options.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Price is $245 from summit.

Again this is a bad *** piece if you arent afraid of fabbing things up. The Madman plate is much nicer for a bolt on and go (almost). I plan to have my BMR alternator brackets milled to compensate for the plate thickness, and have that area waterjet cut.
Sorry for the pics stupid blackberry

Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think MADMAN has his for cheaper, and it's a bolt in.....I thought being a Comp Engineering, it would be cheaper. Still looks really nice, and stronger than the others i've seen.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Remember when you go to mount that up in the car that the motor isn't centered in the frame rails on f body's... make sure that your crank centerline is in the right spot.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is cheaper and is already cut to fit the frame rails. Our plates have been in cars making over 1500hp with the LSX and have had no problems with the mounting.

225-343-9029
Old 01-22-2009, 04:10 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to hijack a thread Brian, but do you offer, and what do you get for SBC motor plates for an F body. I'n not nuts about what I had to do to put my bowtie block in. I bought a set of slick looking mounts from FJ Smith that were supposed to be what I needed. I talked to him about them and they were supposed to be what I needed. To use them the engine would be too much lower in the car. The headers lead a tough enough life with it at stock hight.
They were supposed to be a bolt-in deal with a stock K member like I have to use now in SS. Second thing I bought there that I couldn't use. Cost too much to send them back to Canada. Just tossed them in a corner.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
First - Im not tryin to bash anyone here or start a flame war.

WOW - I just got the Comp Engineering LS Front plate in and this thing is bad ***.

I looked around at all the plates out there, the S&W and Madman (sorry again not trying to bash just stating an opinion) and wasnt thrilled about the 3/side scrawny bolts that would hold the engine in place.

I will post some pics later today, but I can tell you Comp did their homework on this ( maybe because Rick Moroso had/has some badass vettes that Kurt built) The plates use the common 3 waterpump bolts in addition to atleast 3 other bolts per side using spacers and a billet block. Will definately take some work to get the alternator in there but migh be as simple as mounting it to the plate.

I will try to get this bolted onto my mock-up block and get some pics up, but if youre looking to do a motor/mid plate setup, this is a definate to consider.

I assume you are also runing solid motor mounts? If so then there is more then those 3 bolts per side holding it in.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Pathological Modifier

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
I assume you are also runing solid motor mounts? If so then there is more then those 3 bolts per side holding it in.

Um, you run a motor plate so that you don't run motor mounts...
Old 01-22-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ryan K
Um, you run a motor plate so that you don't run motor mounts...
UM, a lot of people run both and people run motor plates for more reasons then the solid motor mounts....
Old 01-22-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Motor plates so I dont need solid motor mounts.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Not to hijack a thread Brian, but do you offer, and what do you get for SBC motor plates for an F body. I'n not nuts about what I had to do to put my bowtie block in. I bought a set of slick looking mounts from FJ Smith that were supposed to be what I needed. I talked to him about them and they were supposed to be what I needed. To use them the engine would be too much lower in the car. The headers lead a tough enough life with it at stock hight.
They were supposed to be a bolt-in deal with a stock K member like I have to use now in SS. Second thing I bought there that I couldn't use. Cost too much to send them back to Canada. Just tossed them in a corner.
Got the SBC plates in stock Ed.

225-343-9029
Old 01-22-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Steve, I was actually getting your plate mentally confused with S&W's - you utilize the driverside alternator mount holes on your plate, S&W is strictly the waterpump bolts.

I did like the idea of the billet block for the two additional mounts on the pass side, the CE plate also has a spacer and bolt to attach to the passengerside head.

Last edited by ATwelveSec02Z28; 01-24-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Pathological Modifier

UM, a lot of people run both and people run motor plates for more reasons then the solid motor mounts....
A lot of people? Maybe not. Why would you do that?

Last edited by Ryan K; 01-22-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ryan K
A lot of people? Maybe not. Why would you do that?
A bunch of big power guys run both. I will run both.

At the very least for saftey. With big power I don't want to risk a motor riping loose thats held in by a few bolts.

For most of the guys on this site its not an issue, find cars making 1,000hp on low boost and I doubt any run just plates.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

A bunch of big power guys run both. I will run both.

At the very least for saftey. With big power I don't want to risk a motor riping loose thats held in by a few bolts.

For most of the guys on this site its not an issue, find cars making 1,000hp on low boost and I doubt any run just plates.
Im pretty sure that Fireball only runs plates. I know he is well past the 1000hp mark with low boost.

I know for a 100% fact that Bruce Maichles TransAm in NMCA Prostock uses only plates on his BBC 4th Gen. Part of the reason to use motor/mid plate setup is to give clearance for headers, etc. It also stops any block flex that may occur with stock location mounts.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
Im pretty sure that Fireball only runs plates. I know he is well past the 1000hp mark with low boost.

I know for a 100% fact that Bruce Maichles TransAm in NMCA Prostock uses only plates on his BBC 4th Gen. Part of the reason to use motor/mid plate setup is to give clearance for headers, etc. It also stops any block flex that may occur with stock location mounts.
How much power does he make on high boost? When I say low boost I mean like 2 PSI.

Agree with what you are saying but if you are runing turbo(s) then header clearence does not matter.

Some people run just plates, some run both. Ill ask around more for my set up but so far I am being told to run both.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a Madman plate very nice

Quick Reply: Comp Engineering Front Motor Plate