Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keep engine from twisting? UPDATED MOTOR MOUNT

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep engine from twisting? UPDATED MOTOR MOUNT

like the title says, how can i keep it from torqueing(sp?) up so much on my launch. my headers hit my k-member lightly on launches and causes me to get knock retard in first gear. not to mention it's chiped off the coating and is gonna put a hole in them eventually. what do you guys use to control this.

i've got a set of prothane engine mounts but the one of the passenger side looks like it's going to be more trouble than it's worth. the headers just don't leave much room and i don't feel like pulling them off. one of my mustang buddies has a treaded rod type thing that goes into his head, is there anything like this for us? or one that will work for the ls1? i really don't feel like pulling off the headers or k-memeber just to change motor mounts if i can find an easier way to manage this. TIA
Old 10-07-2003, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: how can i keep the engine from twisting so much on launch?

your motor tq's that much with only a 1.65 short time? no disrespect at all, but it shouldnt be doing that. i have never had problems and i pull low low 1.5x
Old 10-07-2003, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

my motor dosn't really torque all that bad. the problem is that the jet-hot's only have a small amount of clearance between them and the k-memeber which dosn't leave much room at all for the motor to torque. not to mention that my 6k clutch dumps are a lot more of a shock then an a4 torque converter. i know that they must be hitting a little. i have no knock retard in the other 3 gears plus the coating has been chipped right there. it also dose not get knock retard when i make runs on street tires so i know it's got to be from the hard luanches. any help is appreciated.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The threaded thing is a torque strap. I have not seen one made specifically for the F-body, but several board members have made their own.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search for "torque strap"

Hook a motorcycle rachet strap to the bottom altenator bolt and the holes in the bottom of the K member. Tighten it up.

The Prothane mounts limit movement alot. Enough that I don't use my torque strap anymore.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

well, i ended up putting in my prothane engine mount on the drivers side. man, that is a lot more work than i thought it would be. but i got it done after about 5 hours of working at a very easy pace. the other mount is for sale if someone wants just one like i did for $20 shipped. anyway, on to the point.

this mount is nice. the motor now sits pretty much still and actually does not transfer as much vibration as the other mount. with the stock mount in the motor would bounce around like crazy and shake the car. now it shakes lightly and make the idle actually feel smoother. the shifter no longer looks like it wants to jump out of my concil anymore. while driving around at speed it dosn't seem to trasfer vibrations either. however, even if it was, i probably wouldn't be able to tell because my exhaust rattle's my BRAINS! anyway, it was very worth while and i don't think my headers will be hitting when i have my slicks on anymore. good mod, just lots of work
Old 10-10-2003, 01:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

Default Re: keep engine from twisting? UPDATED MOTOR MOUNT

I ran a torque strap on the driver's side of the motor a few years ago, worked very well. I ran it around one of the brackets on the driver's side and then had the other end of the strap bolted to the k-member.

I have Prothane motor mounts now but I can see maybe doing another torque strap/ bar again.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

KGSloan, did the motormount fix your KR problem?
Old 10-12-2003, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

we'll find out as soon as i go to the track. initial testing on my nitto's with autotap shows that it's not hitting and causing kr, but the true test will come on the slicks. unfortunatly, i broke a valvespring 50 miles from home on friday. now i'm waiting on a new set of springs to come in. then it's off to the track.