Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just purchased a Gear Vendors overdrive unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate it. Probably a simple explanation, but curiousity was getting the best of me. I like to know how things work.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club

^^^^
ok so I just got off the phone with them. You are right, you would have to turn it off and on during the run.
It would go like this
In 1st you would go into 1st over by hitting the manual switch, then you would pull 2nd, which would put you into 2nd over and you would have to it the switch again to take you out of 2nd over and put you into 2nd, then you would again hit the button which would put you back into 2nd over, then pull 3rd etc etc.
My personal opinion-**** That!
Maybe on a 12 sec car but there's no way you're doing that in a 9 sec car like mine or faster. Guy on the phone was like "yeah, it's real easy-no problem." Bullshit, haha
This guy I guarantee has never ran fast on a 1/4 mile track.
I plan on using the OD on the highway and I plan on using the OD at the track in 3rd over only, during nitrous passes only so I can finish the pass-that's it.
Good question though, learned me something today!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tektrans
Thank you for the explanation. I was mostly wondering, because they advertise it on their site like you could use it at the track like that. Seemed like it would be too much work while trying to make a fast pass.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:46 PM
CARTEK Racing

^^^^
ok so I just got off the phone with them. You are right, you would have to turn it off and on during the run.
It would go like this
In 1st you would go into 1st over by hitting the manual switch, then you would pull 2nd, which would put you into 2nd over and you would have to it the switch again to take you out of 2nd over and put you into 2nd, then you would again hit the button which would put you back into 2nd over, then pull 3rd etc etc.
My personal opinion-**** That!
Maybe on a 12 sec car but there's no way you're doing that in a 9 sec car like mine or faster. Guy on the phone was like "yeah, it's real easy-no problem." Bullshit, haha
This guy I guarantee has never ran fast on a 1/4 mile track.
I plan on using the OD on the highway and I plan on using the OD at the track in 3rd over only, during nitrous passes only so I can finish the pass-that's it.
Mark,
Is there a way that the OD would automaticaly turn off during a shift? That way, you put the car in 1st, launch, get to the top of 1st, turn on the OD unit, get to the top of whatever you want to call that gear, lets say 1.5th, then when you shift to 2nd, the GV unit automaticaly turns of. You run to the top of 2nd, turn on the OD unit to 2.5th Run to the top of that, shift 3rd having the OD turn off automaticaly once again. Then turn on the OD for 3.5 lol

Still a lot of work but I can imagine the on switch being on the shifter next to the transbrake.

This is something similer to what 18wheelers have. They only have 6 forward gears/gates in the shifter. But the one I drove [Ex GF's Father's] had a selector switch on the shifter that had 3 positions. Depending on weather it was bottom, middle of top, you had a different ratio. So basicaly, you got 18 forward gears with only 6 gates.

This would work similarly but somehow you need to turn off the GV unit during the shift.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Launching!

If you have a button in your shifter ****, that could be used to disengage the OD unit. Just have to push it when you shift. I'm curious how much this could lower et's.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:39 PM
9 Second Club

They do have a unit in the works that will do just that Alex but it's not available right now, then it would be doable at the track, something to look foward to I guess.

It lowers ET by keeping you in your powerband longer during the run. Keeps the rpms from dropping too much between shifts. Mostly you choose your shifts when the power peaks and starts to drop off so if you could stay closer to that peak by limiting your rpm drop between shifts then it should lower your et because you're making peak power for a longer duration during your pass.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:08 PM
CARTEK Racing

They do have a unit in the works that will do just that Alex but it's not available right now, then it would be doable at the track, something to look foward to I guess.
Ah... I see...

No way to do this with this unit and some kind of secondary controller?

If not, F-It, use it as OD for the highway...
Old 09-02-2009, 07:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
Ah... I see...

No way to do this with this unit and some kind of secondary controller?

If not, F-It, use it as OD for the highway...
And for the nitrous!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark,
Is there a way that the OD would automaticaly turn off during a shift? That way, you put the car in 1st, launch, get to the top of 1st, turn on the OD unit, get to the top of whatever you want to call that gear, lets say 1.5th, then when you shift to 2nd, the GV unit automaticaly turns of. You run to the top of 2nd, turn on the OD unit to 2.5th Run to the top of that, shift 3rd having the OD turn off automaticaly once again. Then turn on the OD for 3.5 lol

Still a lot of work but I can imagine the on switch being on the shifter next to the transbrake.

This is something similer to what 18wheelers have. They only have 6 forward gears/gates in the shifter. But the one I drove [Ex GF's Father's] had a selector switch on the shifter that had 3 positions. Depending on weather it was bottom, middle of top, you had a different ratio. So basicaly, you got 18 forward gears with only 6 gates.

This would work similarly but somehow you need to turn off the GV unit during the shift.

That splitter is for heavy loads. Less rpm drops between gears.( I went to school for 4 yrs for Diesel mechanics.) The gear vendors can basically do the same thing. Problem with that in racing is it takes time for each shift. Wouldn't be beneficial to do this in a 1/4 mile pass.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:01 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
That splitter is for heavy loads. Less rpm drops between gears.( I went to school for 4 yrs for Diesel mechanics.) The gear vendors can basically do the same thing. Problem with that in racing is it takes time for each shift. Wouldn't be beneficial to do this in a 1/4 mile pass.
never new that rick..... want to come work on some of are junk

Name:  1561150543_l.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  50.9 KB
Old 09-03-2009, 09:16 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSPerformance
never new that rick..... want to come work on some of are junk

Haha! NO THANKS. I have degrees in both Diesel and Automotive. I give diesel mechanics ALOT of credit. That's hard work.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:35 AM
CARTEK Racing

Oh, I agree dude... It was Brooklyn Mike who had the idea of using the GV OD to split gears not me.

I just gave an idea of how to do it... Doesn't mean it should be done lol
Old 09-04-2009, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

Oh, I agree dude... It was Brooklyn Mike who had the idea of using the GV OD to split gears not me.

I just gave an idea of how to do it... Doesn't mean it should be done lol
Wasn't "MY" idea my Ukranian friend. GV was selling that BS, haha

OD at the track (splitting 3rd ONLY) for nitrous, that's the plan!!

Funny thing, GV sends me this stickers with the unit, says "6 speed" on it.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:27 PM
8 Second Club

It was Brooklyn Mike who had the idea of using the GV OD
It figures. He doesn't even know his name so why not have an idea like this.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:26 PM
9 Second Club

It figures. He doesn't even know his name so why not have an idea like this.
thanks buddy!!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:57 PM
9 Second Club

Default It's "IN" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

My Buddy Rick (Firehawk441) came over today and we got it all mocked up and IN the car finally. Thanks Rick!!!!!

Not exactly a smooth install, haha
Here's what we had to do.

Clearanced the tunnel a bit, no cutting but some hammering, not much though.

Installed the correct adapter for my th350 with the longer 9" snout and bolted up the GV unit, that went fairly well.

Then we ran into a snag when we went to bolt in the MONSTEROUS Spohn Pro Series torque arm. The front part of the arm by the crossmember would not clear a part on the rear of the GV housing. It was NOT gonna work. If I had the th350 with the shorter housing then it would have cleared it.

The GV adapter for the 9" tail (th350) is actually a 2 piece housing which consists of the 4L60E GV adapter and a 1 3/4" extension, this makes up for the 9" tail.

After talking about it a bit we decided to eliminate the 1 3/4" extension and cut the output shaft down to make up the difference and since GV said that in some applications you need to cut the output shaft down a bit anyway and we had more than enough spine area to work with we just cut off the 1 3/4" that we needed off the shaft.

Worked like a charm. we got the length we needed well within the tolerance that GV requires without even having to use any of the shims they provide.

Best part of all is that it CLEARS the torque arm with room to spare!!!

So the unit is IN, torque arm is IN, we're Golden!!!

Going to take the driveshaft to be cut and balanced next week.

Next hurdle will be the exhaust because the TSP x pipe system I had in the car doesn't work with the shorter torque arm and then the wiring and a new driveshaft loop.

Great day getting that thing in there and making everything fit!!
Old 09-05-2009, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics or BS
Old 09-05-2009, 10:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Pics or BS
I was thinking about this today.
You're right, thread would definately be better with pics no doubt but since we're working on jackstands it's not exactly the best way to take the pics.
I'll shoot a couple tomorrow and see how they come out.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:05 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Pics or BS
I was going to say something along the exact same line.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:28 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I was going to say something along the exact same line.
Got some doubters in here or you guys just bustin' my chops??

Check back later today if you guys have time, I'll get the best shot's I can under there.

Quick Reply: Just purchased a Gear Vendors overdrive unit