Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attempted burnout in waterbox, UMI torque arm snapped, set off airbags...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I think I have a set of airbags out of a ls1 you could have if you pay for shipping.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn that sucks, I was there too and was wondering what happened. Glad UMI is takin care of ya, at least it didn't happen while on a pass!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Not the first time a Torque Arm has broken and not the last time either. WHen you install the new one make sure you follow the directions to the T.... I have heard of people going to nuts with the adjustment's........ that might put to much tenesion on them... who knows....... only thing that matters is when the company steps up
My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Launching!

New torque arm arrived yesterday! I should have the car back on the road sometime this weekend.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:53 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bird_Of_Prey
Isn't the airbag control module under the center console? I'm sure it would fire the bags if you whacked it hard enough.
That's where it is. The older 93-97 ones have more of a crash style smashing sensor in them. There's one on the rad support, one in the dash, and one in the center console. The newer ones have the control box in the middle. I could see one of the older ones going off by being smashed by a torque arm.

I actually find this hilarious because I could never comprehend this series of events unfolding. Then, someone posts it and I could just imagine trying to do a burnout and then your airbags deploy.

I guess it is time for some weight reduction and tossing all of the airbag related equipment in the trash.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:49 AM
10 Second Club

That bung should be a lot longer as to go into the tube farther. Also, most will drill a hole into the tube before inserting the bung and weld in the hole to prevent the bung from rocking.
Bob
Old 09-04-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ouch, airbags aren't cheap
Old 09-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
That's where it is. The older 93-95 ones have more of a crash style smashing sensor in them. There's one on the rad support, one in the dash, and one in the center console. The newer 96 and up ones have the control box in the middle. I could see one of the older ones going off by being smashed by a torque arm.
Minor fixes. My '96 car only has the center airbag computer module.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickVert
That bung should be a lot longer as to go into the tube farther. Also, most will drill a hole into the tube before inserting the bung and weld in the hole to prevent the bung from rocking.
Bob
Our tube adapters (bungs) are machined for a press fit... they will not rock or move in the tube, this is why we machine them for such a tight fit. This problem appears to be a welder error, not enough penetration. Fortunately the item is a few years old and the welder who would have welded it is no longer with the company... we insure this is a rare occasion, very rare. Our items do go through an inspection before powder coat.. this one appeared to have been missed.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SlickVert
Also, most will drill a hole into the tube before inserting the bung and weld in the hole to prevent the bung from rocking.
Bob

Yes, that is most commonly called a "plug weld". It is normal practice to do that on any tube/fitting that will see "tension".

Originally Posted by BanditTA
Ouch, airbags aren't cheap

I doubt it will work, but I have a set of airbags I JUST took out of my 99 camaro, that I can hook teh OP up with. But again, I doubt they will work, but if they do (I am not familiar with airbags/interchangeability)...OP, let me know as I have both ready to go.

The air bag module is located right behind the ebrake on my '99, on teh tranny tunnel
Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I didn't realize this, but if you need airbags I have the oem ones out of my 93 camaro I want out of my garage. After this I'd personally huck all of that crap in the trash, but if you want them you can have them both extremely cheap.

Originally Posted by trax
Minor fixes. My '96 car only has the center airbag computer module.
I stand corrected. I have a 93 and a 95 so I'm just before the swap.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gen414
Yes, that is most commonly called a "plug weld". It is normal practice to do that on any tube/fitting that will see "tension".

I doubt it will work, but I have a set of airbags I JUST took out of my 99 camaro, that I can hook teh OP up with. But again, I doubt they will work, but if they do (I am not familiar with airbags/interchangeability)...OP, let me know as I have both ready to go.

The air bag module is located right behind the ebrake on my '99, on teh tranny tunnel
if he doesn't take them would you be willing to sell them, I am in great need of a set of airbags and my car just happens to be a 99 camaro.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Wow, ive seen all kinds of odd track stories and it seems this is one to add to the list. In my protege road racing days we always pulled the airbag fuse before getting on the track, would it work the same way on the camaro perhaps?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well UMI has my business when the time comes. Sounds like they have great people working for them. Its good to hear of a company who stands behind their products. UMI...you will be hearing from me once my Summit credit card is paid off...
Old 09-06-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to see UMI stepping up.

How many guys run their tires at 12psi? I ran mine as low as 15psi and thought my TA was going to come through the floor and smack me in the head.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Ouch!!!! Did it hurt with the helmet on??
Old 09-06-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would this be covered by insurance to repair the bags?
Old 09-07-2009, 03:05 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by whytryz28
If you weren't at the track I am guessing they would under comprehensive coverage.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by whytryz28

Any time you are at teh race track, and something happens, NO, your insurance will not pay for squat! Now, could you take teh car somewhere else, and say it happened at a different location, sure.
But, if at track, nope (not even if someone else hits you) SOL
Old 09-08-2009, 06:03 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Gen414
Any time you are at teh race track, and something happens, NO, your insurance will not pay for squat! Now, could you take teh car somewhere else, and say it happened at a different location, sure.
But, if at track, nope (not even if someone else hits you) SOL
I actually rethought this when I read it, but I doubt they would cover it considering that it was an aftermarket part that broke. If it was the OEM torque arm I could see them possibly covering it under comprehensive, but a defective aftermarket part would probably cause them to deny your claim.

Quick Reply: Attempted burnout in waterbox, UMI torque arm snapped, set off airbags...