Sponsored by:

what HP are the LSX nitrous motors making

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:21 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what HP are the LSX nitrous motors making

i'm juggling some ideas around....

what are you guys able to get out of these LSx block motors with nitrous (as many kits as you need) with the best heads you can put on them?....

or post up some Tire/ET/MPH/weight stats
Old 02-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

How much do you need, how fast do you want to go? An allout build can probably be 1300 rwhp with today's parts and with 3 kits... but you're going to really have to be on top of your game with the tuning, or be willing/ready to burn alot of stuff up.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:25 PM
7 Second Club

i think its coming down to a aluminum 540 with some good conventional heads or a LSx motor and a carburetor...

i think they'd both end up costing the same to build but i already have parts to work on the BBC plus a converter and car is already setup for a BBC

i just dont think i can get over the lack of CI's the SBC have....
Old 02-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Race your car!

I dunno, I mean you "can" get a 468 sbc now if you want, and if you use the buick block you can get up towards 500ci. That's ALOT of ci out of a small motor and you're gonna have alot of stroke related issues I'd think but people do build/race/sell them.

If you go alum sbc, and build a 427 out of that with a really good GOOD head, say like the power adder specific CFE's that are available, I'd think you could make the power you need to (I'm guessing you need a bottom 8 second car if you're even considering a nitrous ls setup)

Ls motor, I have a quote for a tall deck rhs block ls7 headed 6 bolt motor with solid roller and whatnot that came in about 17500, plus the nitrous systems.... that was going to be a 4.125/4.375 motor, so there was enough left in the sleeves to have the ability to rebuild a few times.

How fast do you need to go is the question? An alum bbc, would take alot of nose weight out of your car for sure and help you get to your goal.... these cars, are just a better sbc car IMO. Unless you're notching the firewall back and moving the motor backwards, but if you're doing that then you probably can get away with an iron BBC
Old 02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
7 Second Club

needs to be capable of low 5's.... but by next year probably 4.9x on the 275... with the starter motor thats in the car it should enough to go 5.50 on any track.... we already found lots of small problems with the car/chassis this winter that should let the car see a 5.5x pretty easy not to mention we got a hold of brian and bought his TA and setup the car the way he wants it and dropped all our ballist/crutch (200lbs).
Old 02-01-2010, 03:06 PM
7 Second Club

the ls motors still have their costs that are quite a bit higher especially once you start treading on ground that only .1% of racers have like the huge ls motors.

a 540bbc with dart 360's or chiefs is like a dime a dozen around here.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:09 PM
7 Second Club

why do you feel the 4th gens are better suited for a sbc?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just look at what has dominated most of the 275 classes thus far....

IMO you will have the potential to go faster with the big block but it will all come down to how much you can hook. If you can only hook 1000hp and you can make that much with either setup then I would do the lighter of the choices.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:25 PM
7 Second Club

i know smith and ATV are both at the top of the game but what i also dont know is how often those guys are racing/working on their car compared to the other guys... they guy who tests/races and works on his **** more is usually the one who stands out.

i've also never seen those guys race just on you tube... i'm hoping at SGMP @ the end of this month i can do a little poking in some pits and see whats really going on

you can have a big bad *** motor but with out enough laps you might as well have a 600 hp car....

i also think keeping the stroke down on these 275 cars would be a good idea.... thats why i'd think the 4.25 and big bore and a set of big heads would help keep the car from making gigantic torque like a 632 would...
Old 02-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Race your car!

What are the rules for bore spacing on BBC for those classes, I know they have CI limits, but what about bore spacing?

Because by your thought, a 5 inch more space and a BIG bore with a short little stroke, say like a 4 or shorter might work very well. Heads would flow like mad too.

Issue I have with a BBC in these cars, #1 it's a TOTAL PITA to work on, changing the plugs every run is a nightmare, header clearance, all of it is just a real pita. That, and I look at the motor, and how much of it is behind the front axles. BBC is just enough so you end up with that little bit more nose weight past the front axles and I just don't like that, every car I've ever dealt with that had that much of the motor past the center of the front axles never works that great, and it seems like it's twice the amount of work to get the same results.

You can only move the motor back so much, and there's only so much you can do with the wheelbase with the front suspension to try to effect that... sb/ls just sits back enough so it's easier to deal with.

Turbo cars, I think the way they bring power in is the only way that they can get down like they do with the amount of weight that hangs in front of the front axles, IMO, if you could somehow get all that back in the car (like paul major managed to do, plus being that he has a vette there's alot more of the motor back in that chassis then most) the results would be alot easier to get, but then you have to deal with the issues that causes with the boost and how all that works, way over my head.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:46 PM
7 Second Club

lol i agree that it gets a little tight with the bbc in there... i cant/wont be able to make a decision on the power plant 'till we see how the car works with the new setup. my budget will not like the 5" bore stuff... however i feel that we could put a little money in the aluminum short deck motor and have a light piece that would make good HP on 2 guns.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Race your car!

I'll agree with that. Hell I don't even know if I'd go 540 with it. You might, be better off like you said destroking a 540 and getting something that's a little more managable. I've talked to more then one guy that destroked a 632 to a 598 and went faster or the same speed, with better reliability because there was a TON more room in the piston to make it a bullitproof piece.