Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25.3 Outlaw Drag Radial Camaro Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010 | 08:38 PM
Launching!

MORE PARTS!!!!!! I love the UPS guy and no not in that way.

Well back to the chassis stuff. I got my shocks today. I got all 4 coil overs from JRI Racing Shocks. They are top of the line. This is the shock that you would see under some of the Pro Stock Cars and now a few Radial cars out their if you were allowed to look under them. These things are killer. The longer one's are fronts and the shorter ones are the rear. With compression and rebound being key with a radial tire that is whay I went with the JRI.

Here is a picture with out the springs on them. I'm working on getting some Titanium Springs to save on weight. Every little pound counts and Ti springs are close to half the weight of steel.

Here you go.

Old 12-03-2010 | 08:55 PM
Launching!

I spent a lot of time doing this engine combo with Billy Briggs and we are almost at the point of knowing if it will all work out. We are looking to be on the dyno with it before the holidays if it all goes well. Here are a few pictures of Billy putting the bottom end together.

Old 12-03-2010 | 11:10 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Eddie Krawiec
I spent a lot of time doing this engine combo with Billy Briggs and we are almost at the point of knowing if it will all work out. We are looking to be on the dyno with it before the holidays if it all goes well. Here are a few pictures of Billy putting the bottom end together.

Are you going to use that reluctor wheel or is it there for looks? Smokin looking bottom end.
Old 12-04-2010 | 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats one bad *** crank!! my wheels dont shine that much. but why steel rods????
Old 12-04-2010 | 09:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Are you going to use that reluctor wheel or is it there for looks? Smokin looking bottom end.
To tell you the truth I didn't have plans to have the wheel on it but it got balanced with it and clears everything so it didn't hurt to keep it. I have given thought to it and may try to use it in the future. Maybe as a sensor or see if it will work to run the FI. Everyone says they will not work but I may just want to try for myself.
Old 12-04-2010 | 09:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by waterproofer
thats one bad *** crank!! my wheels dont shine that much. but why steel rods????
Steel rods are stronger then a aluminum rod, have a longer life cycle and keep tighter tolerances. Why not use them. Everyone only runs aluminum for the reason of that is what everyone says has to be run. When I worked on the design of these with Carrillo we added in the beam area on both the rib and center of the H area to give some extra strength. In the engineering of them we made them to withstand 2500+ HP and 40 lbs of boost and in all the Carrillo programs they pass it no problem. Now I will give them the real world test.

A lot of people think and have in their head that since a turbo makes a lot of power that they are hard on parts. Well if that is you thoughts you are wrong. As long as the tune up is correct it is the least out of any combo and NOS is the one that really is hard it.

When Pro Stock car switched a few years ago to steel some of the guys said they wouldn't last a race and they were right they lasted the whole season and won the Championship. That was in the top car at the time and now all but 2 or 3 run steel rods.
Old 12-04-2010 | 11:05 AM
Launching!

Also on other thing I wanted to add to the steel rod part of it.

I went with a tall deck block and a small stroke ( 4.100 ) for the reason of getting a longer rod in the motor. It helps with a few things that most don't look at. The #1 thing was to keep the piston in the sleeve on BDC and not side load it that bad. This will help the motor rotate A LOT smoother and also help with the rod and piston wear. The rod angle in this set up will not want to push the wrist pin out the side of the block. The longer rod will also make a longer dwell time at TDC making it strighter up and down when under load. This will help when transfering the cylinder pressures through the H-beam part with less chance of flex or and side load.

I just wanted to add that little bit also.
Old 12-04-2010 | 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

eddie, looks like i need to pay more attention to the drag racing tech section. Where are you located at in indy, if you dont mind me asking.

Build loods sick! just in time for next season too!

would love to see this in person some time

Keep it up man!
Old 12-05-2010 | 09:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JAX04
eddie, looks like i need to pay more attention to the drag racing tech section. Where are you located at in indy, if you dont mind me asking.

Build loods sick! just in time for next season too!

would love to see this in person some time

Keep it up man!
Thanks. I live on the west side in Avon.

The sad thing is the car is 900 miles away Massachusetts at DMC Racing. When I looked around for a Radial car DMC was the only choice. He built most of the 6 sec cars and is known for how good of a radial chassis he builds. So that was my best option. I'm hopping to get everything back here in Indy by Feb sometime so I can button it all up before my race season starts. I just hope it works out that way.
Old 12-05-2010 | 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

very nice, yeah, im right out in danville, let me know when you get back man, if you need a hand turning a wrench, let me know. Gladly come out and turn a couple for ya.
Old 12-05-2010 | 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Mr. Krawiec.. I have followed your build since you began it.

Just amazing!! Your dedication in getting done and without any regards to cost is just bad ***. There is not one person on this forum wouldn't want to be able to afford do build this type of race car.

Just a couple of questions. With your busy Pro Bike schedule (congrats on your season), when are you going to have time to test/tune and than race this monster!!

Do you have any updated picture of the body build? Back-halfed? 4-link? Weight goal?

Good luck

David
Old 12-05-2010 | 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

With your busy Pro Bike schedule (congrats on your season), when are you going to have time to test/tune and than race this monster!!

I was going to ask this question. Seems like it would be difficult. I sure NHRA keeps you busy busy. Not a bad thing.
Old 12-05-2010 | 04:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Navy David SS
Mr. Krawiec.. I have followed your build since you began it.

Just amazing!! Your dedication in getting done and without any regards to cost is just bad ***. There is not one person on this forum wouldn't want to be able to afford do build this type of race car.

Just a couple of questions. With your busy Pro Bike schedule (congrats on your season), when are you going to have time to test/tune and than race this monster!!

Do you have any updated picture of the body build? Back-halfed? 4-link? Weight goal?

Good luck

David

The car will use the Stock Suspension mounting points. DMC racing has a proven set-up that is under the rear of Paul Majors Corvette. Pauls car at 3500 lbs has been 1.teen 60fts and as fast as 6.72 @ 220+ with his Twin Turbo BBC. Since that has a F-Body set up in whay not use it under my car.

Yes, NHRA stuff keeps me busy so I plan to race local when I can. This car will make for fun track days when I'm not out racing on the NHRA Tour.

A lot may think that I'm building this thing on no budget. That couldn't be any further then the truth. If that was the case it would be done. I'm the type of person that would rather sit out for a year and build it right then have to buy stuff 2 or 3 times. I understand a lot of people can't afford to do and either could I without the support of all the companies that helped support my project like

DMC Racing
Billy Briggs / Motor City Speed
Mid West Chassis
Mickey Thompson Wheels and Tires
Mike Moran Motorsports
Performance Inductions / Mast Motorsports
ATI Performance Products
Jesel Custom Shop
Marcella Manifolds
Carrillo Rods
CP Pistons
Xceldyne Valves
PSI Springs
Winberg Crankshafts
Dailey Engineering
RHS
Weston Machine
Weldon Fuel Systems
JRI Shocks
Mac Fab Beadlocks

And with out all them I never could have done this. I'm very grateful for the support they have all given me. When you work with the best you want to give them the best and that is what I do.

My attude is if you support me I will support you. It is not just about using the products. It's about using them and helping make them better.

Thanks for all the kind words. EK
Old 12-05-2010 | 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Steel rods are stronger then a aluminum rod, have a longer life cycle and keep tighter tolerances. Why not use them. Everyone only runs aluminum for the reason of that is what everyone says has to be run. When I worked on the design of these with Carrillo we added in the beam area on both the rib and center of the H area to give some extra strength. In the engineering of them we made them to withstand 2500+ HP and 40 lbs of boost and in all the Carrillo programs they pass it no problem. Now I will give them the real world test.

A lot of people think and have in their head that since a turbo makes a lot of power that they are hard on parts. Well if that is you thoughts you are wrong. As long as the tune up is correct it is the least out of any combo and NOS is the one that really is hard it.

When Pro Stock car switched a few years ago to steel some of the guys said they wouldn't last a race and they were right they lasted the whole season and won the Championship. That was in the top car at the time and now all but 2 or 3 run steel rods.
i used grp rods this time. mines a nitrous car . and so far been happy with it.
Old 12-05-2010 | 07:11 PM
Outlaw 10.5 Director

Looks even better in person! Cant wait to see this thing run!

Tom
Old 12-05-2010 | 08:04 PM
8 Second Club

Subscribing.
Old 12-06-2010 | 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Happy Birthday Eddie! Saw it on facebook. lol
Old 12-06-2010 | 03:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
Happy Birthday Eddie! Saw it on facebook. lol
Thanks.
Old 12-06-2010 | 04:07 PM
Launching!

What kind of racing are you planning on doing with this car?
Old 12-06-2010 | 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Luckymex_dallas
What kind of racing are you planning on doing with this car?
reading is fundamental.

not trying to be a dick but its been discussed.

street racing.

Chad

Quick Reply: 25.3 Outlaw Drag Radial Camaro Build