Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25.3 Outlaw Drag Radial Camaro Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBronco
And I agree with you on the selection of steel rods. I mean, aluminum or Ti stuff is saved for the items that really need to spin fairly high RPM wise. I know you used pro-stock for example but you can cut a lot of that rotational mass out with an Aluminum counterpart. It is nice not having to worry about any rod stretch or other tolerance issues after a season worth of abuse either with the carrillo rod. Are you using Carrillo SPS rod bolts as well? The winberg crank looks absolutely gorgeous by the way. Love using their components.

It is not like your fairly long stroked application is going to be hitting 9,000 rpm or turning over 5400 feet per minute (Although those IHRA Pro Stock guys love pushing those limits/piston rings)

How do you like those JRI Shocks? I have only dealt with Santhuff primarily and have success with them.
Depending on the rear gear but 9000rpm - standard converter slippage with a 30" tall tire and a 3.50 rear gear would net about 200-203 which is about how fast the fastest single turbo guys have gone to date but I dont get the feeling eddie wants to be an also ran. 3.40s would push that 200-203 to 207-209. For the most part it will probably be all 1/8 mile racing unless there is a special event.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:18 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBronco
And I agree with you on the selection of steel rods. I mean, aluminum or Ti stuff is saved for the items that really need to spin fairly high RPM wise. I know you used pro-stock for example but you can cut a lot of that rotational mass out with an Aluminum counterpart. It is nice not having to worry about any rod stretch or other tolerance issues after a season worth of abuse either with the carrillo rod. Are you using Carrillo SPS rod bolts as well? The winberg crank looks absolutely gorgeous by the way. Love using their components.

It is not like your fairly long stroked application is going to be hitting 9,000 rpm or turning over 5400 feet per minute (Although those IHRA Pro Stock guys love pushing those limits/piston rings)

How do you like those JRI Shocks? I have only dealt with Santhuff primarily and have success with them.
Depending on the rear gear but 9000rpm - standard converter slippage with a 30" tall tire and a 3.50 rear gear would net about 200-203 which is about how fast the fastest single turbo guys have gone to date but I dont get the feeling eddie wants to be an also ran. 3.40s would push that 200-203 to 207-209. For the most part it will probably be all 1/8 mile racing unless there is a special event.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a Briggs and Stratton 5hp right?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a piece of automotive art!

Were are you going to test the car? Here(ORP)?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JRracing
Looks like a piece of automotive art!

Were are you going to test the car? Here(ORP)?
Yes, ORP. Since I live 2 miles away I plan on beating it up until I have it right. My plan is to test, test, and test until I get it where I feel it should be. I will be out ever chance I get and then once it is right I will run what ever Friday night 275 races I can.

I plan on having fun with it.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Thats a Briggs and Stratton 5hp right?
It has special E3 spark plugs. It makes 5.4hp now.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn just saw this thread! Eddie that car looks very nice and done right, sounds like its gonna fly. Good luck with it! I run NHRA stock eliminator with my car. I'll come by and say hey at one of the events good to see ya on here.

Tim Tosto
Old 01-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Happy New Year all!!!

I just wanted to give a little bit of a update.

I have the motor sitting at DMC Racing and they are getting ready to mount it into the car this week. Once it finds it home they will then start to build the hot side of the turbo system. I can't wait to get it put into the car and get one step closer having done.

Well here is a picture of the front clip of the car removed.

Here is the front motor plate. I got this from FRE Racing
http://www.forresterracingengines.com. The thing that I like most about it is that all the timing cover bolts are used to hold the plate to the motor + the water pump bolts holding it the plate should never have a chance of flexing.

Next is the mid plate. I got this from AEI CNC http://www.aeicnc.com/.
This is the first one they have made like this. For the extra power we added 2 mounting tabs to the top and removed the 2 bolts they put in the left side lower arm. The lower left arm also has a nice kicker in it so it will fit the profile of the 4th Gen F-Body with the way it has the frame rail offset. It is very well made and should do a great job holding the motor.

I hope to have a few pictures of it in the car in the next week or so and will post them as soon as I get them.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

man when i was installing my mid plate thats how i envisioned a mide plate should be mid plate should look like.nice mid plate eddie
Old 01-12-2011, 02:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates as of late?

Beautiful build. Cant wait to see how those Mozez heads work out for you.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kingsize
Any updates as of late?

Beautiful build. Cant wait to see how those Mozez heads work out for you.
Well to tell you the truth yes and no.

As for the Yes part.

I got my new Exile ET-R Ultra Light Modular Competition Series Large Frame 106mm turbo. This thing is really nice and looks like Rick Head really did a great job with it. The housing looks great and fits really nice. I also had it on the scale and it was 9+ pounds lighter then the Precision 106 I have here also. Weight is weight so every little pound will add up in the end. Here are a few pictures. Anyone wanting more info on them can go to www.exileturbo.com

Well as for the progress on the car. Dennis and the whole DMC Racing crew are looking to get the motor in ASAP. The only problem is they all are stuck in 2+ feet of snow with no power. They got hit with a major snow storm over the past 2 days and can't do much about it. Once they get back to the shop and back to work I will have Joseph Staska take a few more pictures as soon as the motor is fitted in the chassis. Here are 2 picture Joseph took in the past week. He does really killer shot and can't wait for him to shoot the car.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I see another 20+ lbs of metal that needs to come out of that engine bay before you go any further... the back side of the shock towers, more of the front, and the cowl, dogbox that thing back to the main firewall where the hood comes up and touches the glass.

While you are at it, get rid of all the outer sheet metal too, and just run a bar around th perimiter of the engine bay, and attach your fenders, and hood tabs to that, it will clean it up alot more as well.

That will make getting the motor in and out alot easier as well.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

Looks real good Eddie. I hope to catch yeah at the track. I am out there on Thursday nights and will be doing the Friday night Rage events. 10.0 index for me..

I agree with JL-ws6 on trimming the more metal off the front end. Unless there is a reason he is not doing all that. Or maybe he has not made it to that point yet.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

Coming along very nicely, can't wait to see how the setup works out!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I see another 20+ lbs of metal that needs to come out of that engine bay before you go any further... the back side of the shock towers, more of the front, and the cowl, dogbox that thing back to the main firewall where the hood comes up and touches the glass.

While you are at it, get rid of all the outer sheet metal too, and just run a bar around th perimiter of the engine bay, and attach your fenders, and hood tabs to that, it will clean it up alot more as well.

That will make getting the motor in and out alot easier as well.
It is not done. Dennis is doing this so it will not look like we just went to it with a cutting wheel.

Also taking out everything is not the answer. What ever is not needed will go and the stuff that we keep will have a reason.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I dunno... I've seen a bunch of 4th gen outlaw 10.5 cars done adn they've got nothing more then a piece of the shork tower left to mont the suspension to, and that's it. Frame rails usually stop just enough in front of the motor plate to give the cage bars (which you already have done) a place to mount, and the body's either converted to a 1 piece nose, or it's mounted with a small bar around the perimiter.

I'll try to find a picture of the last car I saw that was done, it's a nitrous firebird, with a BBC in it, runs outlaw drag radial, and that car is a bad ****.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:26 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the new turbo only lighter or does it have the capacity for more power?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

why is that the most bad *** turbo i have ever seen in my life?
Old 01-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I dunno... I've seen a bunch of 4th gen outlaw 10.5 cars done adn they've got nothing more then a piece of the shork tower left to mont the suspension to, and that's it. Frame rails usually stop just enough in front of the motor plate to give the cage bars (which you already have done) a place to mount, and the body's either converted to a 1 piece nose, or it's mounted with a small bar around the perimiter.

I'll try to find a picture of the last car I saw that was done, it's a nitrous firebird, with a BBC in it, runs outlaw drag radial, and that car is a bad ****.
Your right we can go in a hack everything off but then!!!!

When I go and race the 275 stuff and other misc classes we don't want the car to fall into any gray areas. Some tracks have rules to prevent you from basically re front halfing the car.

We could have made the front end a tube front clip with stock mounts and frame rails just sitting and doing nothing but it would be a bitch for every race I ever go to on the tech side. This is whay it is done the way it is. We will keep enough to make it work and be stock but be done clean.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Is the new turbo only lighter or does it have the capacity for more power?
It should be a little better since Exile did some work on the exhaust side for the engine combo. I can't answer that 100% until we run them both on the Dyno.

Quick Reply: 25.3 Outlaw Drag Radial Camaro Build