Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25.3 Outlaw Drag Radial Camaro Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014 | 07:59 PM
Launching!

After everything was mounted it was time to get the car over to Hillview Auto Body. These guys have a really nice set that will allow for the paint to come out just as nice on the bottom as it will on the top. Heated paint booths and the ability to mix paint in house makes for quality work and fast turn around times.

The guys didn't waste any time on getting the car into the booth to tape things up

Once it was in the booth and tapped all up the first thing was to get the bottom side all sanded and do a little body work. They filled some little holes and edges with seam sealer and even used a little bondo in some places.

First thing was to get under the car and start to spray some self etching primer onto the body to make sure we have a good bond and seal. As you can see it is not that easy. I bet he wishes the spray booth had a lift

Next to to get a epoxy primer onto the everything so the paint has something nice and clean to stick to

Next up was to go into the database and find the correct color needed

Now time to mix the paint

With the paint mixed up it was time to get it into the gun and onto the car

Once the paint was laid down the final thing was to get the clear on top. After the clear was sprayed the heat in the room was turned up a little to make sure it dries and get's hard

When they went back in 30 minutes later this is the way it looked

Well that's all I got for today. I hope to post some more stuff here next week. We are not far off as of today and I hopefully can update everyone next chance I get. Thanks for reading.
Old 04-07-2014 | 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks glorious... will it be a straight solid color or will there be graphics added to it later on?
Old 04-08-2014 | 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

Looks awesome!
Old 04-08-2014 | 04:13 AM
12 Second Club

That looks sick!!
Old 04-12-2014 | 10:28 AM
On The Tree

The guy who sprays underneath is no sissy.
Old 04-14-2014 | 11:11 PM
Teching In

Car looks great, I was standing right by you guys during the driver intro at zmax this weekend wish I would have had a few mins to come over and talk with you some before you guys took off but I was working lol, keep the pics coming, its motivating me to actually get to work on my junk.
Old 04-20-2014 | 07:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Looks great. The project is coming to an end....that has to feel good.
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-21-2014 | 12:37 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Just curious........when this build was started, was the idea that it would take more than 4 years there?

If not, what was the ideal time frame planned for this? Just curious to compare how long it takes other builds.
Old 04-23-2014 | 08:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blown06
Just curious........when this build was started, was the idea that it would take more than 4 years there?

If not, what was the ideal time frame planned for this? Just curious to compare how long it takes other builds.
To be honest when I started I thought it would be 12 months. It 2 years longer than expected. It's 3 years and 2 months. The biggest thing is time. The main issue is I'm not with the car. It turned into a DMC shop project that they worked on when time allowed them. If I could have helped out some I think it would have moved along a little faster.

Anyone that tries to build a car from nothing is fooled if they think it can be done in 12 months. It would take 2 guys 1 year of non stop work to build the car. That is saying 80 hours a week would be put into the project every week giving you 4160 hours to finish it. Sounds like a lot to some but when you are crafting, cutting, moving etc..... it adds up. Sure it can be done and has been done but that is why you hear of guys paying $300,000 + to build a car. In most cases no one does it in 1 hit. We all put crazy money into our builds but it is done over time.

The way we kind of did it was stockpile stuff and then work on it. This way it allowed all the parts to mocked up and fit into place to make sure we liked the result. On most builds people are cutting and removing old stuff and adding new and you end up changing things 3 or 4 times over time. It's really hard to build it with out the parts. Parts cost money and labor cost money. So in the end it would be safe to say you can get it done as fast as your pile of money will allow.

If I had not built this car I would own my home. I have said it myself a few times that I wish I had never gone to this extreme but I wouldn't change it at all. Besides a home that is paid for will not run very fast at the track. LOL

Well I head out tomorrow morning at 5am to fly out to DMC and pick the car up. My truck and trailer are at the shop and I will be bringing the car home. Once I have it I plan to finish a few little things and then go race it. I hope it can happen in the next month so I will keep everyone up to date.

I can't wait and look forward to the trip tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2014 | 12:47 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Eddie Krawiec
To be honest when I started I thought it would be 12 months. It 2 years longer than expected. It's 3 years and 2 months. The biggest thing is time. The main issue is I'm not with the car. It turned into a DMC shop project that they worked on when time allowed them. If I could have helped out some I think it would have moved along a little faster.

Anyone that tries to build a car from nothing is fooled if they think it can be done in 12 months. It would take 2 guys 1 year of non stop work to build the car. That is saying 80 hours a week would be put into the project every week giving you 4160 hours to finish it. Sounds like a lot to some but when you are crafting, cutting, moving etc..... it adds up. Sure it can be done and has been done but that is why you hear of guys paying $300,000 + to build a car. In most cases no one does it in 1 hit. We all put crazy money into our builds but it is done over time.

The way we kind of did it was stockpile stuff and then work on it. This way it allowed all the parts to mocked up and fit into place to make sure we liked the result. On most builds people are cutting and removing old stuff and adding new and you end up changing things 3 or 4 times over time. It's really hard to build it with out the parts. Parts cost money and labor cost money. So in the end it would be safe to say you can get it done as fast as your pile of money will allow.

If I had not built this car I would own my home. I have said it myself a few times that I wish I had never gone to this extreme but I wouldn't change it at all. Besides a home that is paid for will not run very fast at the track. LOL

Well I head out tomorrow morning at 5am to fly out to DMC and pick the car up. My truck and trailer are at the shop and I will be bringing the car home. Once I have it I plan to finish a few little things and then go race it. I hope it can happen in the next month so I will keep everyone up to date.

I can't wait and look forward to the trip tomorrow.
Agreed on all points.
Old 04-24-2014 | 09:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Eddie you forgot to mention the time it takes just to get into a good shop, that has a reputable name for the fastest cars and quality work- so just add a year to the build time in some cases. Good work takes time and the fastest cars prove it. Patience goes a long way when it comes to putting a car together that will run at the front and save your *** in the event of a crash.
Old 04-25-2014 | 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

Well said Eddie. A car like that does not get built in 12 months. The detail work in your car is pretty impressive. It is a rolling work of art I think!
I hope you get it home safely and wrap it up soon. I would like to see the car making some hits at IRP in the next few months.

Have save travels.
Old 06-11-2014 | 12:53 AM
8 Second Truck Club

The suspense is killing us. I know your in the middle of the NHRA season.........but WTF?
Old 06-11-2014 | 08:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The small details are getting buttoned up right now, should be able to start testing in a few weeks.
Old 06-12-2014 | 11:13 PM
Launching!

Yes, I have been slacking on the updates. I plan to post a bunch of stuff when I get a few min. The car is at my house getting all the little things done now. I think one of the only things that need to be done is get the Racepak set up in the car and paint the front clip. Once I get that stuff finished up I will work out getting to a dyno.

I will try to get some stuff up next week. I'm traveling out of town this weekend so my time limited. Thanks
Old 07-09-2014 | 06:01 PM
8 Second Club

Any numbers or updates???
Old 08-01-2014 | 08:05 AM
On The Tree

DUDE! Its been like two months.
Old 08-01-2014 | 12:50 PM
Launching!

right! out with it already lol
Old 08-01-2014 | 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Considering PSB has had 6 events in the last 8 weeks stretching from east cost to west coast Eddie hasn't had much time for personal projects lately. He has to focus on his job first, then the Camaro will be ready asap. The car is getting finished up now and should be out testing soon.
Old 08-04-2014 | 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Congrats on your win in Sonoma Eddie. As a V-rod rider (okay, i know you don't actually ride a "V-rod) I've been a big fan for the years you've been with the V&H group. I've tried to get an autograph the past few years you've come through Dallas but can't seem to catch ya at the right time. That being said you guys are off for a few weeks.. Hope to see an update on the car soon!

Quick Reply: 25.3 Outlaw Drag Radial Camaro Build