Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear spring rubber isolaters removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear spring rubber isolaters removal?

What is the procedure to remove the rear spring rubber isolaters?And how much height do you lose removing these?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

Jack the car up, Put on stands

Removed Rear LCA bolt that attatches to the rear (one side at a time should be fine)

The Rear spring will be ready to remove. I sometimes use the Hyd. Jack under the Axle tube to help with removal/reinstall.

I do not know the exact size but you want to buy some rubber tubing, go to a place like Autozone/Pepboys and get some rubber fuel line. Take the spring with you to get the exact one.

Should need no more then 4-6 inches just to cover the top coil. (but buy enough for both sides)

JL stated to me years ago, should drop it about 1"
Old 04-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You don't even have to remove the control arm. Jack the car up, get the body on jackstands, support the rear with a jack, and unbolt the rear shocks, the rear will now hang lower then it would before.... lower the jack, pull the springs, pull the isolaters out, a piece if 3/8 heater hose over the first coil of the spring will quiet all the noise up perfect.

This will lower the back of the car about 3/4 to 7/8 of an inch depending on the car, measure the lip of the fender thru the center of the tire, and set the front about 3/4 of an inch lower then that. Car will need to be re-scaled, if you have a drag bar on you will have to unhook it and readjust, that type of thing. Getting it right with the measurments will get you in the right direction, but it will really need to be scaled (if it was before) to get it back where it was. If you didn't have it scaled, then just readjust the swaybar (if you can)

Make 1 motor pass just to make sure the car isn't taking off funny or anything when you go to the track just to be safe.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't bother putting the hose on the spring. No noise at all.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:27 PM
9 Second Club

Thanx JL and Aaron for the how to advice,JL I never had the car scaled might have look in getting that done.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt bother pulling the shock bolt. Just put the car on jack stands let the rear hang and pull them out. I used a jack to support the rear end also.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SWeiser31
I didn't bother putting the hose on the spring. No noise at all.
As a comparison, mine makes some noise - and it still has the isolators in place

Thought maybe I put the isolator back in at the wrong position / angle, tho it's probably nothing. Noise is very mild, going over slow bumps you can hear the compress-groan-creak.. similar to an old rocking chair.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

These guys nailed it on the head but here's a writeup just to provide some more information:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...d-writeup.html
Old 04-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You don't have to scale it Dave, just get both the front sides sitting even and start there, chances are it will be close.

I never had my car on a scale either, so I wouldn't worry about that, get it to leave level and strait and then scale it, sometimes cars need different stuff anyway.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ors-guide.html

check this one out. i did this mod about a month ago. best 5.00 bucks i've ever spent .