Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight race harness! putting that bitch in a deit

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Lightweight race harness! putting that bitch in a deit

Looking for info from guys that have done this, and to keep track of doing this. Anything you should/shouldn't remove. And some real weight numbers on doing this. I need find a link to the scmatics havn't looked for them yet, anyone have a link saved I can add for other to this thread?

This is a project I've been wanting to do, and every month is seams like I have more and more weather pacs not going to things anymore Yesterday took the 1st step, picked up a extra intior/dash harness, and a underhood/body hanress from a 1999 camaro SS m6. I Got a great deal on it from jasonshort locally, but if anyone is looking for one, I found a place on Ebay selling them cheap $30-45 per harness (non LS1 engine harness). Contemporay Performance in PA, looks like they part out lots of cars and not many people are looking for thouse 2 harness. Didn't get the engine harnness, there go for a lot more money. I'm going to keep my out for one still. I got the extra ones so I can take my time de wireing them a little at a time, and still drive the car. I don't think I have all the much to remove in the engine harness, compaired to the others.

engine harness

*AC for sure
*EGR (I didnt have egr, some guys might)
*rear 02s
*maybe Evap for when I do the supervic?
*that airpump stuff on the driver head near the rail.
*Maybe wire in my LPE 2step with to the coils. See how big of a pian in the *** that would be. I'm hoping most of the wires in there Plug and play hanress, is just jumper wires. Gona need to the the wiring scmatic on that.
*maff for the SD guys, (Im not)

Anyone have any commnets on that?

Intior/Dash harnss

Stuff to remove:

*AC stuff
*airbag junk
*foglight (switch)
*ASR (switch)
* ditch the light in the ashtray, and I think there a armrest light?
* The wire for the brake light on the Ebrake
*seatbelt light wires

? what else was was in the console?

*all the stock radio stuff. I have the rear amp and has a lot of wires I think run in loops. Thinking about just doing a head unit and 2 or 4 speakers, But I don't know stereos stuff at all, need some help on that. I do use it a lot. The exhust is not that loud. The gear wine that is louder, I have to turn the radio up to hear. Still not sure on what to do with the radio.

* rear defroster (I do use it in the last fall, and moving the car in the winter. But can just use snow brush, and might get the lexan rear glass that saves the 27#)
*hatch popper? not sure? I do use it (anyone have comments on that?)
*Just run the FP wires, remove the ABS (already took the harness off the rearend)
* light on the passanger visor
* side mirros
* washer

There a ton of ther **** I can't think of right now under the dash

Stuff I NEED:

*keep the blower motor for my lightweight heater
*keep the lighter/power acc. plug for HPtuners
*I need all the trail lights,rear plate light. Nothing there I can think of?
*fuel pump wires
*horn
*headlights/brights
*turn signals
*most of the cluster stuff, I have some bulbs missing already I know I can dewire. I need to look more into them later.

I need to look into the VATS, and that secrity stuff on the car. I dont know much about that stuff? And the BCM???

I'll add more to this later, I just wanted to get a start on a thread I can update on this.

Good info / inks:

PCM connector pins
http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/2002pcm.htm

99-02 Harness Connector Identification
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ification.html

Last edited by studderin; 06-19-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats all the BCM wiring for you.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that parking brake will probably save you more than the harness....
Old 05-16-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks pat

ya. I have willwood rear disk. There not real drag brakes or anything, but have alot of rotor hat so no grinding with weld rims. And has P-brake, I really like having that. But I could save a bunch removing the Ebrake stuff. And getting a alum rotor hats, over the steel I have now for the Pbrake shoes.

Last edited by studderin; 11-08-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Well I have my harness out right now from under the hood and removed the abs,speed sensor wires,wipers,washer,air pump and some other misc connectors.Cleans everything up nice but not a lot of weight removed.

Havent done no inside dewiring as of yet.But will likely since its all gutted right now.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not quite sure I understand what it is you want to keep. But I think it's going to be best to just wire it all up from scratch.

Thanks exactly what I'm doing. Be prepared, it's going to take some time!

You can remove the BCM without a problem.

I'm doing the same thing. This is actually the 2nd round of !wiring that I have done on the car. I've measured 20lbs total (right on par with other people on here).

The only think I kept is the power windows, it SUCKS cooking in the car on a hot summer.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn that loooks clean as hell. I was just thinkin about doing something like this since my car is being gutted and turning into more of a drag car. Subscribed for future help haha.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Subscribed...interested as well!
Old 05-22-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I need to get some more time to update what I'm keeping and removing.
For my shift light, I'm getting signal of pin 21 the white wire, and I htink this is for the traction contraol. So I need to keep that.

I remebed reading when ProjectSS did this they used a LT1 underhood fues box. Becuse it was smallerm and dosn't have spots for all the added ealays and crap you remove.
But Im gona try and do somthing like this too.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...g-harness.html

some more good info on the difrrent years and PCM pins
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...swap-faqs.html
Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went with a Painless race car harness, with their switch panel. so far its pretty damn easy to wire in.

My other car is a race only deal though, I think your wanting something more factory looking/working, just lighter weight haha.

as far as the engine harness. Taking off everything not needed and going to make it a: hot, ground, and signal hookup separate from the other harness.

I should get going more once I get my susp from Midwest... and get some pics and stuff going.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ya, feel free to post up any info on useing a painless kit. I'd like to know more about thats too.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

I ended up buying the same fuse and relay boxes that smokn95TA uses for his wiring setups.

The boxes cost $25ish a piece but you have to buy the metripack terminals and seals to use them. Still came out way cheaper than the generic $400 Painless fuse box.

This was a potential layout I was thinking of using.

Engine cleans up nicely

Old 05-23-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Old 05-30-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

SMKN TA 95 thats some really nice work.

I got a start on this the other night, 1-2 hrs wacthing TV got them down to bare wires. One full wegmans bag of old tape, another of loom. I need to buy some cheap ziptie to keep it in the shape better. Just useing old section of tape lopped for now, they fall off easy. lots of wires
under the hood

body shell

#1 ???
Found a few wires cut, I need to get to a printer to print out these scmatics.
Not sure were these were for? 4 thick wires black/white/purple light blue. Right near the fuse boxes, about the same lenght as the ABS weatherpac. I dont know if this car was modded, but might be from the air pump? Still has the black coil pac style weather pack, what would go down in the wheel well. I thought that was to the airpump, but it might have been cruise? I hope there not for the fans?

I'm not sure how the doors get wired? Is there a weather pac for them or are the wired direct to the body harness? Ive never had my door panels off to see how they are?

#2? This was just "in" the harness when I got it. Looks like the undercar little harness form the under seat white connector to the top of the tank? Fuel pump is white sqare like a 02 wetaher pack right?? It has a red clip on it, is that for Evap like the under hood end is all red? I know the airbag weather packs are yellow.

#3? My car has a manual antena, I think I'm gona remove all the stock stero stuff. Get a better head unit, whit Ipod hookup. And just run 2 or 4 small speakers. But I htink this is for a power antenna????? never had a car with one? looks like it broke and he cut it so it says up I guess?????? or down, is that common??

#4/5? Driver side headlight area had a purple and green wire cut, not the ends covers. But taped up after it was cut, dont look factory? The passanger side has a green and black wire cut? Not sure what they were for? whats down there, still has the fooglight plugs?

Old 05-30-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

fuuuuuc I think thouse 4 thicker wires ( #1 ??? pic) are the fans. I dont see there 2 plugs on a lenght of wires anywear, in that area they should be!:

The BCM if you remove that, you loose the door locks, and windows, and the keyfob. So you have to rewire the windows? And you have yo use the Key on the doors form the outside, and rewire them for the inside power doors to work? What about the ing. key? You have to get a non theift lock key, and ing. clyinder? Can you just remove part of the system (the alarm? but not the rest?

Last edited by studderin; 05-30-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

#1, yes those are the fan wires.

There is a harness that runs through the doors, part of it for the window motors and controls, the other for the door locks, dome lights etc. They're two separate harnesses. If you remove the door lock harness, the bulk of the interior harness comes right out.

Looks like the ABS connector. Hooks up in the back of the car where the rest of the ABS, traction control, fuel pump hook up.

Hooks up to this

after all the ABS, traction crap removed

#3, don't know what it is

#4/5, hard to tell what it is. need to see the connectors. Could be A.I.R. pump etc. You need to chase it and see what else it hooks up to.

As stated above, the window motors are wired independently of the doors. The picture I posted above of the interior of my car shows the window harness. Only thing left. It's grounded on the left side post on the interior and brown requires a +12V source.

It's going to be an absolute bitch to get the door looks to work like you're describing. If you're going to ditch the BCM, forget about any automated door functionality.

This is what mine is looking like so far.

keeping the stock gauges

I'm about 18-20hrs ahead of you.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

20hrs haha

ya, that was the easy part for sure. I'm working on it a little right now. Useing the old tape in a quick loop, is working really good. I'm doing some things I know untill I get the full charts. Pulled the power seat stuff, (or/blk) to the fuse box (metal fuse, also labled Dfog) and the ground wire (thick wires...... .0002 oz yeah!) I didnt see any other wires it was just the one OR wire on the side of the fuse, so not sure what the "Defog" is? maybe this car didnt have reear defrost (is that no stanard?), I don't think that was be forglights? WTF is DEFOG? haha
Doing the airbag stuff now, pull that back to the 15a min fuse. in the dash fuse box. The other side of that is a think pink wire that gose to another thick pink wire spliced in????? I'll track that. fun fun....
Thanks for the help, on this. I know most other car stuff but painting, and body work. And simple wiring, and 1-2 stage nitrouse and the normal stuff. But not how the whole car is setup and all the other systems. So I'm learning alot as I got. You stuff looks really good. How are you keeping the windows, just going to 2 relays (I htink you need one for up and another for down) So 4 tottal to the stock swicths? and that all your using. And NO BCM at all? I just went out to my car to get the cover for the dash fuse, and top check the rear wiring, And used the keyfob for the doors and the hatch..... ugggg I dont wnat to loose them.

#1 ? ya your right, they pulled the motor out this car 1st I think and didnt have a pick and cut the fan wires I'll see if I can get the wire ends still? I dont wnat to cut them off my "stock" harness, I want to sell them.

#2 I think your right, The car might have been 3channel with the mid sencor on the ring gear, and not both rear backing plates. You can see the wheel senors wires easy, there 2 wires twisted together (pic 1) I think I only have 3. I might remove the Evap stuff back thatm so I'll just have the FP like you. I think I can get around removing it for the ODBII inspection scans, I have to ask Mike@newEra. I htink you just change it to ready in HPT and its all good than I can take all the Evap out, its 5 or 7 #s just the stuff on the tank.

back to tracing wires and useing my little screwdrive to depin them

I found this thread projectSS took a ton of the stock harness.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...roject-ss.html
Old 05-30-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Got this out so far, just starting are some fuses, relays, and weather pac ends I know not useing. Getting the pin out and tracing the wires, Some of them go to 3-4 wire junctions in the harness I'm not sure were tey go yet. I need the scematics now for sure.
On the left top corner is a firewall bulkhead, that the wires are glued to seal them in the housing so you can't remove them easy. You guys just cut them off, or can you get that thing apart?

Aross the bottem starting on the left. The ABS blox connector and all the wires from that to that to the 2 fuse blocks, and the wheek sencors. one or 2 wires goes inside the dash, I assume for the dash lights?

Orange thick bundle in the power seat wires.
Other orange/red/white/purple in the airpump. That has 2 relays in the underhood fuses.
Yellow bundel is the air bag wires. with the "seat belt" wires with them.
The blue wire above that is the Ebrake one I tryed to keep it before if I left the Ebrack up a little it would tell me, nope. Once I removed the ABS (when I did Kmember) it sets the SES "brake" light so it dosn't work after that, had to pull the buld in the dash,
Black bundle is the antena, and I think the power for that. And the rear speckers, and maybe the truck latch I have to look, its the sub harness that unclips over the rear wheel wells. The fuse blocks are about 40% open now, I have to find out what the ING, I/P, ENG, PCM,, ECT, that stuff really gose to.
amost done?? haha
Old 05-30-2010, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

I'll try and answer that I can.

The window has it's own controller box. The above pic of the interior shows the wiring. This is the box.

You can probably buy the connectors from ebay or Caspers electronics.

I'm pretty sure you can remove it and turn off the code. I don't have to worry about it since it's a dedicated car. I guarantee you're going to have U codes go off, but should be able to pass inspection. I'm only running 4 wires to the tank. Power to the FP's and signal and ground for the fuel level sensor.

A lot of those wires share wire junctions. Black and black with a white stripe are typically grounds. Pink wires are IGN wires and orange are constant hot wires.

Regarding the bulkhead. It's a BITCH to get that thing apart, but you can do it. Since I'm scrapping all the stock stuff, I just tossed it.

...you're far from done
Old 05-31-2010, 01:31 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by SMKN TA 95

Where did you get those distribution blocks and fuse boxes?

Quick Reply: Lightweight race harness! putting that bitch in a deit