Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disappointment strikes at track today..advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default disappointment strikes at track today..advice?

01 m6 full weight trans am. mods in sig. went to try out brand new toyo dr's (315/35/18) and lnc-002. it was about 95* today

dropped tire pressure down to about 20 and lauched from 2200, spun slight bit then bogged..2.0xx sixty

moved lauch rpm to 3000 and spun right when i let the clutch out then hooked, seemed to still bog just not as bad, then left with a 1.900 sixty and 12.8xx 1/4 time.

the rest of the day consisted of more spinning even after letting tires down to 18 psi and moving launch rpm to 2800.

i'll add that i do not have a rear sway bar. and also in janurary i raced the car on 235 dr's and spinning from launch as well as shifting to 2nd and 3rd i was running 12.5's with more to go. what do i need to address or work on? i'm no professional but i need some other thoughts

thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I am not really familiar with those tires, and how well they actually work so can't really help you out on that one. I know my friend will launch his car between 3800 and 4200 with Mickey Thompson drag radials.

If your serious about drag racing the car, i would just get a slick because you have the rear-end for it!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need more sidewall on your tires to take the shock of the standard tranny, Maybe get you a set of 15" rims for the track.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:22 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

You need a rear sway bar for starters.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Get a rear sway bar
2) Remove your front sway bar so the weight can transfer correctly
3) Pick up a pair of 15 or 16" prostars and Bias Ply ET streets because you need more sidewall

The tires are not a must but would for sure help if you run at the track alot.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:46 AM
10 Second Club

You need a rear tire. That tire you have won't work at the track in M6.
You need a lot of side wall. 28" tire with a 15" rim and 4.56 gears, that is a good combo.
With the tire you have you are going to stress and brake parts because you have nothing to take the shock.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Internet Mechanic

That new tire is at best a good Street tire. A 18" DR on a M6 car will never get what you want. I have raced on most DR's on this car and the only one that was good/consistant was the M/T ET Street Radials and doing a Good Burnout WITH LINE LOCK. WIth out it, you might as well not even try.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Launching!

well this is not looking good. i just sold my 15's prostar set up to go with a street strip wheel/tire set up. i was hopin the 315 would compensate for a little less sidewall. i know there are guys doing it though..so i'd like to try to join that club. would some comp. engineering shocks help? maybe a little more weight transfer? and i'm looking for a good aftermarket sway bar. any suggestions? thanks
Old 05-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

The bogging down issue may be the asr kisking in. make sure to turn the switch off and drive that thing. Also the only way to launch w that tire set up which isnt the best but to do so you need a drag suspension setup.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Launching!

what does asr stand for? but i don't mind doing some suspension to make this work. nobody notices these are drag radials. and i love that. my car is highly underestimated and i know these mods are capable of low twelves and faster. i don't mind changing springs, shocks, ect..etc..
Old 05-17-2010, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

I went with the Spohn Pro-series rear drag sway bar for my S60 rearend but not sure that one would clear with your 9" but you can try Midwest Chassis for the their rear sway bar or the Wolfe rollbar. Heard nothing but good things from them. If you really want to keep those tires then work on getting a good suspension to help out with the launch.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Launching!

elaborate on "good suspension"..i'm ready to get on to modding it some more. just need some help from some knowledgeable members as to what all needs to be done
Old 05-17-2010, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Give one of the sponsors on the right a call------------>

UMI Performance would surely help you out with every suspension part you'd need.

They have a nice drag bar that is performs well and is also priced well.

I would go with Strange double adjustable coilovers up front with no front swaybar.

In the rear, get a UMI drag bar, and some Competition Engineering shocks. A good torque arm should be on your list as well. UMI has a bunch of options for those too.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rggbly
elaborate on "good suspension"..i'm ready to get on to modding it some more. just need some help from some knowledgeable members as to what all needs to be done
Well you have to choose whether you want a drag racing setup or street setup cuz you mention you want those tires for a street setup that's why you sold the prostars and then you inquire about drag shocks! I street drive my car but it's not a daily driver so I chose to buy a suspension for drag racing; therefore, I bought all Spohn chromoly adj. components including the pro-series cross member mounted torque arm, lca's, ph bar, reloc brackets, sfc's, and pro-series drag sway bar. A lot of people don't think chromoly suspension components are the best choice for street setups though. Also many don't recommend drag shocks for street daily driving. I'm running the Summit comp. engineering adj. shocks in the rear and just ordered the Strange adj. ones for the front. I don't mind the drag racing elements on my street car cuz I don't daily drive it though!

Last edited by conde'strans; 05-17-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: .....
Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Launching!

well as yall can see in my sig i already have tubular contol arms, reloctaion brackets, adjustable panhard bar, adjustable torque arm. so a few things are knocked out. next on my list was adjustable shocks, bigger rear sway bar, and sfc's. i've read that stock springs do fine so i just planned on doing hose mod for that.

this is my daily driver. and at the moment it takes corners pretty damn well. and i don't want to have to slow down like a grandma to take a turn. i love my handling capablities. i don't mind making sacrifices that have to be made to put in 11 sec 1/4 mile times as i am going to be spraying when i get what i have running right. but i'm not looking for the generic "make it a drag car" answer. i'm hopin to find some people who share my interest in having a multi purpose car b/c it can be done as it has been many times before.

hope this helps clear up my purpose. i know my goal isn't easy.. and i don't claim to know everything by any means..i'm very humble to you guy's generous advice. just trying to get some specific help and make something special here
Old 05-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Launching!

and i will definately give umi a call. thanks for that advice, should have thought of that first, haha. but i'll also look into the recomended sway bars and see what i can find on that. thanks so far guys. i apprecaite it
Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you like you can also give us a call here at the office and I can go over a couple of ideas on how to help you out.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

asr refers to traction control. Its a switch on the dash that allows you to turn it on and off. Stands for anti slip regulation. If left on your car will bog down to keep the car from spinning the tires. Now at a launch w over 2k or more it may pin a little but as soon as the asr kicks in then it boggs down. Turn it off from the start, right at the tree and watch her go. No bogging down. Thats my theory though. Let me know if that helps.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rggbly

. but i'm not looking for the generic "make it a drag car" answer. i'm hopin to find some people who share my interest in having a multi purpose car b/c it can be done as it has been many times before.
Easiest way to do that would get a set of 15's to run at the track. It's a little work but I don't mind switching at the track, running 11s, switching back and driving home. The best was wen I used to pull the kids car seats out in the pits, I got some looks then!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by grimlock34
asr refers to traction control. Its a switch on the dash that allows you to turn it on and off. Stands for anti slip regulation. If left on your car will bog down to keep the car from spinning the tires. Now at a launch w over 2k or more it may pin a little but as soon as the asr kicks in then it boggs down. Turn it off from the start, right at the tree and watch her go. No bogging down. Thats my theory though. Let me know if that helps.
your theory is correct..however i don't have the sensors hooked in(cause the ******* that sold me the reluctor rings were not the correct ones b/c they're too big therefore the sensors don't fit in the holes). so that's not a problem. i have no traction control