Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS4000 vs. PT4400 come on in !

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
again maybe I missed it but what proof or why do you think the pt is better...
I think they're about the same. Like I've always said, it depends on the car.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
I think they're about the same. Like I've always said, it depends on the car.
so what car would be preferred for the SS and what car preferred for the pt both na 346...
Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

so what car would be preferred for the SS and what car preferred for the pt both na 346...
Well according to you the SS4000 is better for everything. From stock to radical, right? Yank should only sell the SS4000 and all the other companys should copy it exactly or close the doors.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by billyflantos
Just want you to see that I'm not nut hugging this fool.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Well according to you the SS4000 is better for everything. From stock to radical, right? Yank should only sell the SS4000 and all the other companys should copy it exactly or close the doors.
side step again...answer the question...

nowhere did I say it was for everything...the thread was which one is better for an na 346...and I spoke with my results...you are reading way to far into things...

Last edited by chrs1313; 06-11-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:28 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

its funny that you call him a fool when his car is running 10.39...kinda makes me laugh...its almost like he knows a thing or 2 ? maybe 10.39 isint that fast to you but it seems kinda fast...Chris will you be putting back in your SS4000 ? Also the whole thing about DA....900ft....is a shitload that can cause alot of numbers to change...Chris can you post up ur best timeslip from ur ss4000 and from ur pt4000 so we can see the 60, 1/8th, 1000ft...ect and compare them, Da also please that is if you have them still
Old 06-11-2010, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00blacka4
its funny that you call him a fool when his car is running 10.39...kinda makes me laugh...its almost like he knows a thing or 2 ? maybe 10.39 isint that fast to you but it seems kinda fast...Chris will you be putting back in your SS4000 ? Also the whole thing about DA....900ft....is a shitload that can cause alot of numbers to change...Chris can you post up ur best timeslip from ur ss4000 and from ur pt4000 so we can see the 60, 1/8th, 1000ft...ect and compare them, Da also please that is if you have them still
yes I still have the slips and the da can even be verified by the date of the run ...it's not my place right now to post the slips and I probably said more than I should of already about the results...Dave is a great guy at yank and he builds excellent converters...he will work with you through a build until it is fully optomized...

Yes the ss4000 will be going back in later this fall...I have been enjoying the summer weather way to much to pull it out right now, I am going to be remodeling my basement soon too so the car is taking second seat for now...
Old 06-11-2010, 09:51 PM

yeah i understand, dave is excellent to talk to i talked to him for about 45 min. on the phone lol, and you can see he builds some great converters because they hold some records ! iv seen results supporting both converters so which ever one i go to i surley wont be dissapointed.

Last edited by 00blacka4; 06-11-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 PM

ill probly just go SS4000, iv seen enough from it to make me happy

Last edited by 00blacka4; 06-11-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Default ...

I just wanted to add in my 2 cents. I have had the pleasure of running both Yank PT 4400' & 4000 in my GTO. I’m currently as of right now running the PT4000 for now and will be switching to a Yank SS4000 here in the next week or so, trying to reach my Goal of High 10's N/A and full Race Weight.

When running the PT 4400, I was able to cut much better 60ft times, as low as 1.539 60's on 2000+ DA days but the car would be down to 3to 4 MPH in the 1/8 mile and same in the 1/4 mile down 3 to 4 mph. The best I could get my car to run was a low 1.539 60ft and 92 mph in the 1/8th and 11.498 @117.01 in the 1/4 mile.

I then switched to the Yank PT.4000 the car still leaves pretty darn hard, I am able to cut HIGH 1.5 60's my best to date is a 1.591 60ft. I have picked up 4mph in the 1/8 and 4 mph in the 1/4 mile. My best time to date is an 11.276 @120.33 running the Yank Pt 4000. My best MPH so far is a 121MPH With a 1.6 60ft and 11.3 ET

I have been talking with Larry from Speed Inc. GREAT GUY by the way, on how to get my car in to the High 10's N/A and at full Street Trim full race weight, we are going to be swapping out the Yank PT4000 for a Yank SS4000 hopefully my car will 60ft better and MPH better. We’ll SEE I hope so, And I will also be switching possibly to an S/D tune don’t know if it’s any better we’ll see.
I would like to give Larry and speedInc a BIG Thank You for helping me out with my Build over the past few years!

Here is a Video of my GTO with the Yank PT4400 at the Drag Strip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=332-V8_Z5cw

Here is a video of my GTO with the Yank PT4000 at the Drag Strip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J2YSQQQQ6M
Old 06-11-2010, 10:46 PM

thats very impressive at that weight, my car only weighs 3200lbs. so ur ALOT heavier than me so it might be blowing through ur converter trying to push all that weight, idk ? good luck im anxious to see this thats gotta be one of the fastest GTOs iv seen !
Old 06-11-2010, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

nice post slow gto...should be interesting to see how the car reacts to the ss4000...hit me up when you want to meet up so we can get that beast into the 10s...
Old 06-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00blacka4
thats very impressive at that weight, my car only weighs 3200lbs. so ur ALOT heavier than me so it might be blowing through ur converter trying to push all that weight, idk ? good luck im anxious to see this thats gotta be one of the fastest GTOs iv seen !
Thank you buddy, I’m anxious myself to see how it does with the new converter. I don’t know if my cars weight is hurting my converter at all, I know Dave at Yank took into consideration the weight of my car when he sold me the Yank Pt4000 for it.
nice post slow gto...should be interesting to see how the car reacts to the ss4000...hit me up when you want to meet up so we can get that beast into the 10s...
Thanks Chris, I’m looking forward to seeing how the SS converter works for me as well. It seems to work very well in your car and in Larry’s as well, I was going to try to meet up with you possibly over the weekend but the weather looks like it’s going to be crappy, hopefully next week the weather will be better, if not would you mind coming down to my shop here in Romeoville to take a look at the car if the weather does not let up?
Old 06-12-2010, 03:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris what converter was in your car for the 1039 pass?
Old 06-12-2010, 04:44 AM
TECH Junkie

again maybe I missed it but what proof or why do you think the pt is better...

and you calling me a dumbass is funny man...

also big cams do turn higher rpms but they do not lose power down low over a stock cam...they are always up...but you know that right? was it just a typo...
Almost missed this. Way to change a post after I already replied to it.

You are a dumbass if you think that a 396 LT1 doesn't effect the stall. Just because it's called an SS4000 doesn't mean it's the same converter. If you could bolt an LT1 SS4000 up top your car it wouldn't act like an LS1 SS4000.

And no big cams aren't always up in power. Albeit, low in the RPM range they are still down. Even a small cam takes about 2500 rpm to match the stock airflow. The bigger then cam the higher that is. And that effects stall speed as well.

side step again...answer the question...

nowhere did I say it was for everything...the thread was which one is better for an na 346...and I spoke with my results...you are reading way to far into things...
I haven't side stepped anything. It's a stupid question and if you don't understand why then what does that make you? There's more to setting up a converter than just know that cam size and cubic inches. Everything about the car effects the converter. And there may be more than one combo that likes The SS over the PT or vice versa. There may be only one specific combo where the PT is faster, but you wouldn't know unless you tried them both. In my experience the SS 60's harder but the PT has better MPH. So PT gets my vote for street racing. I'm still waiting to see better results from the SS, we may have just gotten a bad one. I haven't given up on it yet, as you have with your PT. And I don't know how many times I've heard you say that you'd like to see a PT cut the 60's that your SS has cut. Well, how'd it feel to see that?

I don't feel that I'm reading to far into things. There are few threads on here about PTs that you don't give your input. Which says that you always think that the SS is better and that they're is no way or no how that the PT will ever be better on any car than an SS. Even if your car doesn't like it, that's your car. Let me ask you this: With the information that you have right now, would you ever buy another PT series Yank? Or would you just stick to SSs? You don't really have to answer because I know what you would say.

Maybe the 4200+ PTs are too much for you and your dad's setups. The trickflow's definitely help you make much more power under the curve and that effectively raises stall speed. Maybe you need a PT3800 instead of a 4200. Kudos for actually trying a different converter (whether you ended up paying for it or not) and I know it sucks to not see results. What did you spend, like $2000+ to gain .2, then swapped the converter for less than a tenth?

Both you and your dad (he might not have been back on) have failed to answer my questions of what you're actual shift extension rpms were and your shift points. You acted like it was a big secret in your PMs and you would only tell me the differences (if you do answer that question I'd also like to know what you're using to log your runs). And you've failed to mention what transmission that you both are running. Do you know for certain that you don't have a worn 3-4 clutch pack? They're are only a handful of 4L60es in the 9s. Ever wonder why?

And for 00blackA4:
I understand trying to see some results to figure you what you want/need, but if you just take everything that you read and consider it gospel without even considering that they're may be other reasons why things did or didn't work then you'll probably never have what it is that you're after and you won't know why (or at least not til you've already spent tons of money to figure it out). I just don't like the way Chris answers some of his questions, never have and probably never will. He also likes to use the word proof and should in the same sentence while giving his results. Not that it shouldn't be so, but I've seen many times first hand that just because it should do it, doesn't mean that it will.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be going 1.4s this year on my SS4000 at 3700lbs N/A h/c car.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Almost missed this. Way to change a post after I already replied to it.

You are a dumbass if you think that a 396 LT1 doesn't effect the stall. Just because it's called an SS4000 doesn't mean it's the same converter. If you could bolt an LT1 SS4000 up top your car it wouldn't act like an LS1 SS4000....agreed but when the same stall size in a pt line and even a pt4400 were used they didn't perform as well...so regardless it worked better for that setup, my setup, and soon to see in a 4000lb gto which is better...so far it is 2/2 with back to back comparions I am sorry I don't have 100 different cars with results to prove the SS...like I said I have offered more than just my opinion which seems like all that you have got...

And no big cams aren't always up in power. Albeit, low in the RPM range they are still down. Even a small cam takes about 2500 rpm to match the stock airflow. The bigger then cam the higher that is. And that effects stall speed as well. huh when is the cam or even a dyno pull below 2500 rpm...**** even my stock stall launched high than that

I haven't side stepped anything. It's a stupid question and if you don't understand why then what does that make you? There's more to setting up a converter than just know that cam size and cubic inches. Everything about the car effects the converter. And there may be more than one combo that likes The SS over the PT or vice versa. There may be only one specific combo where the PT is faster, but you wouldn't know unless you tried them both. In my experience the SS 60's harder but the PT has better MPH. So PT gets my vote for street racing. I'm still waiting to see better results from the SS, we may have just gotten a bad one. I haven't given up on it yet, as you have with your PT. And I don't know how many times I've heard you say that you'd like to see a PT cut the 60's that your SS has cut. Well, how'd it feel to see that?yes what I said which you took out of context was I want to see a converter 60ft like mine did but not giving anything up on the topend...which is harder to do...I mean I could get a fuddle 5k stall that would 60ft better than the yank but be down 3-4mph on the topend...and not a stupid question you still have not answered...you keep saying it depends on the car...that is a cop out answer...give the setup or say you don't know...cause that information is useless...I could say a ss2000 is equal to a pt4000 but it depends on the car...doesn't help the orginal poster or others reading...

my opinion is that the reason why Dave recommend the pt4400 for a stock internal car is because it doesn't have the power to push through the converter on the topend and scrub off mph...I think the car also needs to be light around 3100lbs or less...anything over that and the weight of the car lugging down the track will be to much for the loose pt4400...add any more power to it and it will 60ft a hair better still but start losing mph on the topend...

so setups heavier than 3100lbs and have a cam or heads will need the tighter converter that will keep the mph on the board and only give up hundreths on the line...

I don't feel that I'm reading to far into things. There are few threads on here about PTs that you don't give your input. Which says that you always think that the SS is better and that they're is no way or no how that the PT will ever be better on any car than an SS. Even if your car doesn't like it, that's your car. Let me ask you this: With the information that you have right now, would you ever buy another PT series Yank? Or would you just stick to SSs? You don't really have to answer because I know what you would say.

I just gave you one example...I would rather have the extra 400 stall off the line and not have the power to push through the converter on the topend in a light 3100lb car...but if a ss4400 comes out and performs like the ss4000 for it's stall speed...then it would be interesting...

Maybe the 4200+ PTs are too much for you and your dad's setups. The trickflow's definitely help you make much more power under the curve and that effectively raises stall speed. Maybe you need a PT3800 instead of a 4200. Kudos for actually trying a different converter (whether you ended up paying for it or not) and I know it sucks to not see results. What did you spend, like $2000+ to gain .2, then swapped the converter for less than a tenth?

yup right around 2k...and it wasn't for .2 it was for 7mph gain on the same da conditions...just give it time and let the air come so it can be a closer comparision to when I ran my cam only best in 40 degree weather, with the ss4000 back in...don't worry to much about my times they will come...have you gotten that si car into the 11.3-11.4s yet...and I think now with a pt3800 would would start giving some up in the 60ft and might be still a hair loose on the topend...hard to say though and I am not sure Dave can make that configuration...

Both you and your dad (he might not have been back on) have failed to answer my questions of what you're actual shift extension rpms were and your shift points. You acted like it was a big secret in your PMs and you would only tell me the differences (if you do answer that question I'd also like to know what you're using to log your runs). And you've failed to mention what transmission that you both are running. Do you know for certain that you don't have a worn 3-4 clutch pack? They're are only a handful of 4L60es in the 9s. Ever wonder why?

4l60e last time my dad pulled the trans last season it was in excellent condition...we both have upgrades red alto bands...I am very detailed when I take results...

And for 00blackA4:
I understand trying to see some results to figure you what you want/need, but if you just take everything that you read and consider it gospel without even considering that they're may be other reasons why things did or didn't work then you'll probably never have what it is that you're after and you won't know why (or at least not til you've already spent tons of money to figure it out). I just don't like the way Chris answers some of his questions, never have and probably never will. He also likes to use the word proof and should in the same sentence while giving his results. Not that it shouldn't be so, but I've seen many times first hand that just because it should do it, doesn't mean that it will.
I could careless how you like the way I answer at least I answer with results not opinion...

I am out of here guys, this will go on forever...run whatever you want...I have learned that people don't go fast by accident...that is why I try to learn from the people who are on top...

Last edited by chrs1313; 06-12-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLOW GTO
Thank you buddy, I’m anxious myself to see how it does with the new converter. I don’t know if my cars weight is hurting my converter at all, I know Dave at Yank took into consideration the weight of my car when he sold me the Yank Pt4000 for it.

Thanks Chris, I’m looking forward to seeing how the SS converter works for me as well. It seems to work very well in your car and in Larry’s as well, I was going to try to meet up with you possibly over the weekend but the weather looks like it’s going to be crappy, hopefully next week the weather will be better, if not would you mind coming down to my shop here in Romeoville to take a look at the car if the weather does not let up?
yeah pm me an address/phone number will you be there tomorrow Sunday...I have a party today...

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
I will be going 1.4s this year on my SS4000 at 3700lbs N/A h/c car.
it was the pt4200...I had 900ft better air and ran .5mph worse...if the ss4000 was in it would have been low 10.3s...was worth a try though...now it is the waiting game till fall and making sure everything is working perfectly...ss4400 or ss4000 will be in the car when the cold air comes...

Last edited by chrs1313; 06-12-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

I could careless how you like the way I answer at least I answer with results not opinion...

I am out of here guys, this will go on forever...run whatever you want...I have learned that people don't go fast by accident...that is why I try to learn from the people who are on top...
I know that you don't have to oblige me but you still didn't answer my question about the shift point and extensions, yet you took the time to answer everything else. What are you hiding?

And Red Alto bands have nothing to do with your 3-4 clutches. It sounds like you are saying that you have a stock trans with a red alto band.

No, I'm still in the 11.6s but it's also a 3550lbs car with my A/C all my seats and the stock 17s on it. And it always will be. Good luck on your quest for MPH

Quick Reply: SS4000 vs. PT4400 come on in !