Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screw in Bias Ply

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Question Screw in Bias Ply

I got a screw in one of my rear tires and now I can't seem to get it to hold air. It's a Hooiser quick time pro 27 X 11.5 15 bias ply. I've tried a plug as a temp fix on the dyno, and now 4 patches later it won't hold air. The texture on the inside won't let the patch form an air tight seal. Has anyone had any luck repairing slicks? I don't have rim screws so I don't think a tube is an option.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Wait... you're dragging on a patched tire?
Old 08-14-2010, 05:13 AM
10 Second Club

No, I got a screw in one while at the dyno getting a tune. I plugged it for the day and now I'm wondering if there's any way to fix it without buying a new tire. This one's only half a season old!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A real tire patch will stick just fine. I am guessing you buffed the tire and exposed nylon fibers. If you did this you will have a hell of time getting a patch to stick. Your best option if this is the case get a bigger patch and tube it.

If this is not the case you just need to clean the area with tire cleaner, lay your glue, stick your patch and be off to the races.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Wait... you're dragging on a patched tire?
There is nothing wrong with a patched tire. If done correctly it is just as good as new.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

When someone thoughtfully placed a screw in each of my ET Streets, instead of trusting a patch, I went ahead and put tubes in the tires and screwed the to the rim.

I just wasnt comfortable knowing that I was possibly trusting my life to a 2$ tire patch.

As a added benefit, i noticed that the car felt far more stable goin don the track with 12 psi in the tires.

Plus, you will never have to worry about spinning the tires on the rims.

Rich
Old 08-15-2010, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

When someone thoughtfully placed a screw in each of my ET Streets, instead of trusting a patch, I went ahead and put tubes in the tires and screwed the to the rim.

I just wasnt comfortable knowing that I was possibly trusting my life to a 2$ tire patch.

As a added benefit, i noticed that the car felt far more stable goin don the track with 12 psi in the tires.

Plus, you will never have to worry about spinning the tires on the rims.

Rich
Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd patch it and tube them. I don't think trusting a patch is a real good idea. Tubes in them, yeah the patch will be fine just to keep the hole plugged and whatnot. But just a patch... I don't like that idea. I'm sure there's people that have done it, I just wouldn't. Not worth teh risk IMO.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

People fear what they don't understand and patched tires seems to be something people don't understand at all.

I work at a tire shop and we mostly do OTR tires. Tires for loaders, haul trucks, and other giant equipment. We section tires and what that means is we take all the rubber and a good number of cords out of a tire. The hole can be as big as your fist or bigger. Then put a patch on the inside and fill the hole with rubber. The patch is the only thing that adds structure to the tire the rubber just makes it look good. These tires the go haul thousands and thousands of pounds at reasonable speed with no issue.

The same is done with semi tires but the hole can be as big as one or two fingers. Again They are good as new and have zero issues.

I can promise you a patched tire is just as good as new. A tube isn't a bad idea once you patch it just as added insurance but it isn't necessary.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Good info. I"ve never seen that done, but it makes sense.

Other thing, is that it will throw a bias ply tire out of balance and they are usually already difficult, if not impossible to balance accurately. I mean you can, but it's usually never perfect, this I'm 100% sure of.

I'd just tube it, and put the patch in. You already have one off the rim anyway.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:12 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a patch done before on a slick and it held fine.
Using a tube is just a little added insurance (didn't use screws)....

Derek
Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually just had my 28x10.5 patched this past Friday. I think they make a "radial" type patch that is more forgiving and will stretch some. I didn't have any problems at all with it Saturday night.

Well....I take that back, come to find out my tires were spinning on the wheel

Time to screw my new welds...
Old 08-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

they make bias patches and radial patches. A bias patch can be put in a radial tire but a radial patch can't be put in a bias tire. They also make all-in-one patches they are the most flexible of them all that you can use in both bias and radials and tubes but they aren't as strong. They don't have as much re-enforcement in them so they are flexible.

A bias patch is your best bet and will make the tire like new.

Balance isn't really an issue because the patch weighs .25 oz or so. You will never feel that. I havn't had a problem balancing a bias tire. The problem is that bias tires will flat spot and take a bit of time heating up and rolling before it will go away.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96LT1355Z28
I got a screw in one of my rear tires and now I can't seem to get it to hold air. It's a Hooiser quick time pro 27 X 11.5 15 bias ply. I've tried a plug as a temp fix on the dyno, and now 4 patches later it won't hold air. The texture on the inside won't let the patch form an air tight seal. Has anyone had any luck repairing slicks? I don't have rim screws so I don't think a tube is an option.
I would run tubes in them even if they didn't leak.

QTPs have way to soft of a sidewall for your vehicle weight and it doesn't allow the tire to work very well.

Put tubes in it and you will feel way more stable and will be able to hit the tire harder helping your et's.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:38 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the responses! I ended up leaving a patch in and putting tubes in both tires. Then added the Permatex high tack stuff to the beads, if they spin I'll just screw em!