Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a race car? Document it here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012 | 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Damn Fuel....... badass launch man!!

Got my engine parts teed for the next week or two. and bought up and my nitrous system!

Diff is sitting in california now with all my gear......... bging on the christmas break!

U back at the track Fuel??
Old 10-01-2012 | 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats a old pic from bradenton in march.i had a nother outing and my lsx block broke.should be ordering a rhs block to day.
Old 10-01-2012 | 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Oh damn......... u sure are having some bad luck man!

Thats 1 reason I went dart bbc!
Old 10-08-2012 | 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Took delivery of my new big m block, deep morosso sump, heads and new motor plate yesterday. Some nice gear, ready to dummy up!
Old 10-11-2012 | 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Sat the bbc in the rails last night....... just had to see how it was fitting. With the gearbox in the same position as with the sbc, the bbc seams to be about 2 1/4 inches longer.

Ill put on the box sump, and sit the crossmember in and see how it looks. But Its looking like the engine will need to be moved back closer again to the firewall.

Anyone got any thoughts??? Or pics of there set ups???
Old 10-11-2012 | 04:38 PM
Race your car!

You will want to move it back a little bit, probably an inch or so. It's going to be tight on the drivers side of the firewall, you might have to cut/flatten the firewall depending on what heads you end up using, etc.

I will try to find a picture of the mock up engine in my car when it was being done, might be on the home PC
Old 10-12-2012 | 12:29 AM
TECH Regular

Hey Jl, thanks man. I hope your car is coming along nice!

I was going to move it back as far as i can, as my sump is the morosso big daddy box sump. It measures very tight with the bmr k member, trial fitting will c how close it is.

For the sump to work I need it as far back as possible, if I can to get the balancer over the tube k frame and not the sump over the frame, this would be optimum.

Im just mucking about for now, got to remove the old mounts and so on. I just wanted to get some ideas and c the block in the rails!

I have the heads...... im going with trickflow 360's.
Old 10-12-2012 | 07:42 AM
Race your car!

RShoot me an email address in a pm and I will send you a bunch of pictures.... Easier to do then posting them here from my phone. Car is coming along we'll, it's home cage is all done, everything but the hood has been painted, finishing up the brakes in the next few days, just waiting on a couple fittings. Carpet will be here next week, once I have that I can finish up the interior and reassemble that.... After that I'm taking a break for a bit, my daughter will be born Monday, c section scheduled so I'm going to be a little busy for a while. Plan is to buy a transmission in the spring and the speed wire system from madman, get the car wired up, pick up a racepak and get that into the car and wired up, set up the fire system, and start the motor. Couple things I'm going to do there now that some new things have finished up, should make some really good steam, probably over 1200 before either kit gets turned on. Dunno how fast it will translate to, 8.50 index stuff I think will be possible even with it set up for 2 healthy tune ups converter/gear wise.
Old 10-12-2012 | 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

Will do JL!

Couple pics.......

We have done the numbers with my car to man, and were guessing 800 to 1000 hp on the motor reliably and I have a 600 hp nitrous system there that will eventually run with a hogans inlet manifold! It should put us right in the middle of the field!
Old 11-07-2012 | 12:38 PM

Default Newbie

Newbie here. Old bracket racer. Looking to build an LS for bracket purposes. Would like to do carb,dist. and power glide. 3000lb. car. 5.3 or 6.0. Would like to use as many stock components as possible. Any experienced advice would be helpful. LS looks like easy HP.
Old 11-10-2012 | 02:02 PM
Race your car!

98 your motor is a bit further forward then mine is... Probably an inch plus
Old 11-10-2012 | 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks JL, that is a old pic! that was just a quick try it in the hole job!

It is now about 10mm away from the firwall, with your guidence.

I havent done much lately, Im still remounting my seat to get me within regulations...... I should have made a custom cage!
But it will work!
My new burkhart rear with be hear next week...... with pretty much what I need to get this car close to a serious dummy up!
Old 11-11-2012 | 03:03 AM
Race your car!

Nice. Couple things are working out on my end... Started picking up all the wiring supplies so I should be able to start that in the coming month,, guy that's going to take care of the paint is coming by in the next couple weeks, ill be picking up the transmission right about tax return time (February/March) and the motor fund is getting $$ too. Still going to take a while, but all in good time.
Old 11-12-2012 | 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Good to hear man!

It is nice when things start to come together!
Old 11-17-2012 | 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, my Burkhart stuff arrived on friday. All looks good, there are a few little things missing but nothing that cant be rectified.

The diff is a killer assembly, now got plenty to do to fit it all up!
Old 11-24-2012 | 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Hey guys, I havent done alot recently on my junk. Spoke to Chuck, he's organising a few bits and pieces for me......But I made up a rolling diff stand to make moving it around a whole lot easier on the back. I can now roll it in and out anytime.

I made a quick gig to support the chassis to make it easy to measure from common points to square the driveline up, while I started to make up a gearbox crossmember. Still got a little bit more work on it, but it runs between my thru floor frame connectors, it now uses tabs to connect to the rails, a half inch bolt that is gusseted and 50 X 50 tubing to match the connectors.

Then Ill dummy the engine again and work on the new mounts, while the rear end can have the swaybar links welded to the body and the short torque arm can now go in to now that I have things squared up.

Catch ya.
Old 11-25-2012 | 09:48 AM
9 Second Club

Default LS2 408 nitrous build

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...ld-thread.html
Old 12-15-2012 | 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Hey guys a few updated pics.........

My diff from Burkharts.

The seat is now fixed mounted for me to drive, and the steering column has been lowered and is now ready to run my burkhart column and grant wheel, when chuck sends the wheel. The quick release hub is here ready to go also.

Remounted the block, centered now and pushed back within 10mm from the firewall. It appears further away in the photos than it is. Ill slip a head on today and i might notch the firewall somemore and go back another inch or so, but I dont know yet.

Waiting on a bbc engine plate from chuck to check engine placement height, and then modify the kmember to suit.

Anyway, catch ya.
Old 12-15-2012 | 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

My pencil shows how tight it is to the firewall.......

Ok so it wont be going any further back! It has the gearbox running at virtually standard height, and with the chassis leveled on the rails in the engine bay, the motor is at 5 degrees and the motor plate is at 94 degrees to the rail.

The center of the tail shaft will be 95mm from the floor, im not to sure if it should come down slightly to give me more room uptop but we will c when I get the motor plate from chuck.

A couple pics of the new gearbox mount.....

Old 12-27-2012 | 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Got my jig nearly done for my BMR kmember. Now that I can see it in the jig, im not overly happy with the construction of the k frame. It isnt bad but It is not as spot on as I would have hoped.

So I should get a chance to cut the cross bar out today.

Quick Reply: Building a race car? Document it here!