Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today's weight reduction!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010 | 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by airfix
By the time you get a new catch can in I thik you'd be lucky to save 2lbs. I never weighed it or my new catch can so I can't say. I did more for looks than to drop weight.
The stock catch can weighs next to nothing and is perfectly molded to be under the battery. It's a total waste to go with an aftermarket can. The only thing it will lighten is your wallet.
Old 10-04-2010 | 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

I weighed my stock rad catch can...and there is a reason why I still have it...I thinks it was like 2 lbs...it weight nothing...
Old 10-07-2010 | 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
this is all the way on the east coast you do know that right?

Did you miss my tow rig when we were at Byron? I'll drive to Ecuador if I thought there was some good action.
Old 10-07-2010 | 10:38 AM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

i tackled 1 inner fender last night, kind of a pain in the *** lol but its 10lbs all together so i wont feel bad if i run a 12.000 and kick myself in the *** for not doing it...last time i was stuck at 12.700 3 runs in a row before i finally hit a 12.685
Old 10-07-2010 | 10:39 AM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

and how much weight am i loosing from going to the aluminum dragshocks up front is it significant at all ?
Old 10-07-2010 | 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Should be worth a few pounds each, I just threw my stock shock out and those are pretty hefty.
Old 12-11-2011 | 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

hey DTB_LS1 I just noticed you have some more weight under the core support, I trimmed the sides of mine back and cut the middle spots out. I ran the airdamn, the car has beter areo with it unless you car is super low and 3inch off the ground. I dont think m6 car is gona be setup like that. haha. I just left the bottem side V metal for 3 of the air dam bolts. Was fine all year, scraped the air damn a few time bad.
Old 12-11-2011 | 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

I wish I could do this to my car..I just cant bring myself to do it lol. I enjoy driving mine too much and I like to comfort and AC and **** not having a bunch of road noise.
Old 12-11-2011 | 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Some of these things are on my "winter" list..Im glad I found guys, with answers to my questions.
Old 12-11-2011 | 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
I wish I could do this to my car..I just cant bring myself to do it lol. I enjoy driving mine too much and I like to comfort and AC and **** not having a bunch of road noise.
same here. I love driving my "hacked" car haha. I drove it a bit this winter, up to last week. We got some snow and finally salted the roads good this week. I know most locals with " not cut up" cars that took them off the road 3 months ago to store them. And they never drive them much anyway. Its a used car they made 100's of thousandths of them, there worth $5-8K for a stock SS/WS6. Sounds stupid to me, do what ever you want and enjoy your car.
Old 12-11-2011 | 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by studderin
same here. I love driving my "hacked" car haha. I drove it a bit this winter, up to last week. We got some snow and finally salted the roads good this week. I know most locals with " not cut up" cars that took them off the road 3 months ago to store them. And they never drive them much anyway. Its a used car they made 100's of thousandths of them, there worth $5-8K for a stock SS/WS6. Sounds stupid to me, do what ever you want and enjoy your car.
What he said. I have one of the most popular F-bodies made, Black WS6 6 speed. Dime a dozen for this particular car, oh and did I mention a salvage title.
Old 12-12-2011 | 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

Im not saying my cars anything special but being a Firehawk, I have EVERYTHING that has came off this car except the intake, clutch, and rearend. Yes thousands were produced but My desire to have a 9 second car isnt great enough to just start ripping the comforts of the car out. I like the factory interior and mines in great shape. It snowed last week here and I drove my car this weekend, I own a detail shop so its not too hard to clean a car when its 20* outside. I drive mine a lot and thats what I like about it. Im just saying the bug has not bit me hard enough to start cutting my car to loose a few pounds..I just add more power
Old 12-12-2011 | 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Im not saying my cars anything special but being a Firehawk, I have EVERYTHING that has came off this car except the intake, clutch, and rearend. Yes thousands were produced but My desire to have a 9 second car isnt great enough to just start ripping the comforts of the car out. I like the factory interior and mines in great shape. It snowed last week here and I drove my car this weekend, I own a detail shop so its not too hard to clean a car when its 20* outside. I drive mine a lot and thats what I like about it. Im just saying the bug has not bit me hard enough to start cutting my car to loose a few pounds..I just add more power
I got the sawzall lets cut that pig up hahaha. just joking your ride it sexy leave it be.
Old 12-12-2011 | 08:35 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
That's the vacuum reservoir. It stores some vacuum to keep the AC in it's set position under low vacuum conditions.
So it has nothing to do with the heater part of the controls, only A/C? i want to keep my heat but the A/c is long gone. I removed this thing today not knowing what it really does. but havent drove the car yet to see if my heater controls still work because its winter.
Old 12-12-2011 | 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by midwestjunk
So it has nothing to do with the heater part of the controls, only A/C? i want to keep my heat but the A/c is long gone. I removed this thing today not knowing what it really does. but havent drove the car yet to see if my heater controls still work because its winter.
So , does it affect the heater ? Im lookin at removing the same thing
Old 12-12-2011 | 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can just pull the lines off and cap them and see how the stock heat stuuf still works.
I have a lighter heater so it dosnt have the adjustable ducts anymore. But I removed that thing when I had the stock heater box and don't remember it affection anything?
Old 12-12-2011 | 11:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1nastyss
So , does it affect the heater ? Im lookin at removing the same thing
My car is in pieces and it's winter now. I won't know till spring. I'm hoping someone on the forum can 100% verify that it's only AC related.
Old 12-12-2011 | 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

Don't start because once you do there is no turning back, you will only want to do more.
Old 12-13-2011 | 09:32 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by midwestjunk
The position selector uses vacuum to operate. If you are still using the factory controls then you need the vacuum line and reservoir for it to function properly. I should have posted HVAC I guess.
Old 12-15-2011 | 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Weight reduction: as addicting as cocaine...

I'm glad I started off with my lt1 Formula instead of a nicer ls1 car. 7 years ago I paid $3k for it, so cutting it up isn't that heart breaking IMO. And its actually ended up being cheaper to build my car with an lq4, than it was to buy an ls1 car still.

Quick Reply: Today's weight reduction!!!