Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deleting trunk well

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 03:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Deleting trunk well

I see alot of the guys that are running stupid fast with tons of weight reduction (studderin etc) that take the well out of the back of their car and iw as just wonder how much weight this really cuts.

Im going to pick up my car tomorrow AM and then tearing the fuel system apart to put everything new in and i ve decided **** creature comforts and everything else in the 2 days or so my car will be down (i work slow, something about ADHD and tools i just get sidetracked randomly) i could take some more weight out of the car.

Reduction as fallows
jack/spare tire, everything otu of the nose, rear bumper support, HVAC pulled out of hte engine bay and out of the fash. All emissions equip out, sound deading pulled from under the carpet and black rubbery crap off of the firewall back seats speakers out of the rear trunk monsoon amp, abs and tcs equip. wipers motors sprayers and lines

idk what else to take out, idk how the car rides or how much louder it makes everything i just want this bitch fast as i can get it. I like the idea of going low low 11s or (dare i say) even 10.99 cam only before i finish the top of the motor.

I know there is tons of stuff i can replace that will lighten the car up but i just dropped a ton of $$ on the rear end and suspension so that is out of the question for now
Old 10-18-2010, 05:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who needs a carpet !! ..... front sway bar should take a leave .... if you street drive the car A/C & ABS aren't gonna kill u but hey every thing matters so remove everything according to the "every tenth matter's theory" .... a weekend driver .... i say keep the stock look but loose all the hidden crap =)
Old 10-18-2010, 06:00 AM
11 Second Club

front sway and endlinks are out, i just forgot about them lol. I havent ahd ABS for abou 2 years because of my tires anyway, so when i got my 9" i deleted everythign anyway and called it a day.

hopefully i can pick up a tubular front suspension setup from a member on here soon and delete some weight there as well lol

im just still trying to think of cheap/free at home mods to pull off
Old 10-18-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Maybe I missed it, but rear seat belts, air bags, and door bars. It will all add up.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

door bars and trim the 6" lip under the windshield the "cowel" section?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fastGBcamaro
Maybe I missed it, but rear seat belts, air bags, and door bars. It will all add up.
those are out too lol. Sorry ive been doing so much **** to my car i forget everythign sometimes. I also have all the wires/selenoids/random crap associated with everything ive removed out of the car too
Old 10-19-2010, 03:17 AM
On The Tree

I wouldn't cut anything out of the body like the trunk well. I saw a guy on this forum taking about hole sawing his fenders and his inner doors. He got 1.9 lbs out of his inner doors. NOT worth it!

These cars are uni-body cars. That means that there is not a full frame. Sub frames and the rest of the car is held together by the body. It gets most of its strength from its body. Don't cut anything out. Only remove stuff. G/L with your car
Old 10-19-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got some pictures of the t-top well delete I did on a car last year. Lemme know if you wanna take a look at them.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Driver weight reduction, fog lights

I think you got everything else that's free
Old 10-19-2010, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mad_steve
I've got some pictures of the t-top well delete I did on a car last year. Lemme know if you wanna take a look at them.

ive seen you post them, along with the one studderin did, i was jsut wondering if its really worth it. I mean some of the stuff ive taken out has weighed 1.5-2 lbs and combined all those add up to 10 or 15lbs, but if its just for like a 2 lb thing ill leave it there.
Originally Posted by X-ray
Driver weight reduction, fog lights

I think you got everything else that's free
i love the look of the fogs and have removed my DRL and wiring. The fogs are another one of those 2lb things and for the looks ill keep them for now. Im working on the driver reduction

What are other places to cut out/cut reweld for weight? i wanna try and get this bitch on a gooood diet. Ive been readin studderin's threads all summer and he has inspired me to try and catch him lol
Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
Im working on the driver reduction
Don't be embarrased, I'm about 70 lbs overweight. Last year I weighed 170, this year 220, and I should be about 150. Man, 70 lbs extra on me, the driver, is a lot compared to the other things we do to reduce weight.

I wouldn't remove the fog lights either, I just thought you were going for max effort, when every little thing adds up.

When you get to the stuff that costs money, don't forget Spohn solid motor mounts drop 10lbs off the front end, not to mention they help put more power to the wheels.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

haha im about 280 and should be down around 210ish

my response has allways been **** the diet ill make my car faster..... but im out of things to do that around serious coin hahahah
Old 10-20-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think we got a total of 15-20 lbs off the rear and only put 5 lbs back in w/ the sheet metal. It also cleaned up the trunk of the car a good deal for us to install our battery trays, fuel cell, on/off switch, etc.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by ProMaroZ
I wouldn't cut anything out of the body like the trunk well. I saw a guy on this forum taking about hole sawing his fenders and his inner doors. He got 1.9 lbs out of his inner doors. NOT worth it!

These cars are uni-body cars. That means that there is not a full frame. Sub frames and the rest of the car is held together by the body. It gets most of its strength from its body. Don't cut anything out. Only remove stuff. G/L with your car
When you make the decision to cut a car. The decision is made to also put strength back into it. I am working with someone who is converting their car to 25.5 Spec and will leave open an option to further convert it to a faster spec chassis.

I am getting some real exp. in cutting up a car, removing weight, and adding bars back to keep the original body form but its stronger, safer, and lighter by the time your done.

Half the problem I see is guys taking that weight out, hole sawing half the car and not taking the needed steps to reinforce key spots and in the end the car is a hacked potato chip race car that I would not trust staying together to save my life.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
When you make the decision to cut a car. The decision is made to also put strength back into it. I am working with someone who is converting their car to 25.5 Spec and will leave open an option to further convert it to a faster spec chassis.

I am getting some real exp. in cutting up a car, removing weight, and adding bars back to keep the original body form but its stronger, safer, and lighter by the time your done.

Half the problem I see is guys taking that weight out, hole sawing half the car and not taking the needed steps to reinforce key spots and in the end the car is a hacked potato chip race car that I would not trust staying together to save my life.
I have to agree with you. If you do go the route of cutting out the spare tire well and t-top well, definitely do so after you have atleast subframe connectors and/or a certified cage. We did our cuttin up on a car that already had a 25.3 chassis.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i didnt cut my trunk out?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
i didnt cut my trunk out?

really? i could have sworn i remember seein in your thread you did, my bad

this was one of those late night reading though the section threads wishing i had a race car and trying to turn my street car into one lol
Old 10-28-2010, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

****, just go down the list and start checkin things off (if u already havent). also go to pep boys and get a roll of spectra carpet. very lightweight, especially compared to stock
Old 11-30-2014, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Just wanted to update this thread in case anybody searches, I cut out the ttop well in the back of my car, and replaced it with 20ga mild steel. After it was all said and done,I lost 11lbs in total. In my opinion, it was quite a bit of work to do it all right, and if I could do it over again, I would not do it. This weight did not include the plastics in the well, as they were already deleted. Also, I did not do the compartments on each side of the car. Only the big middle area. I did not weigh a lot of that sealant puddy stuff that GM puts on every damn seam on the body, but then again I did not weigh the welding that went in to the car, so I am just saying that those will even out.

I was trying to recoop some of the weight that was in the 10pt mild steel cage I put in to the car which is probably right at 100lbs. So I guess this 11lbs was a hit at that, but it was quite a bit of work. Door bars are next.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Launching!

mine is removed and i replaced it with .063 aluminum...here is a screen shot of my car on the scale ..5 gallons of gas ..555 BBC turbo 400..9" ford ...glass hood the rest of the car is all gm ..no lexan etc ...
Attached Thumbnails Deleting trunk well-10525994_10202949723616692_7914679785859321279_n.jpg  

Quick Reply: Deleting trunk well