Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has ripped out ALL radio, A/C, cruise control wires???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who has ripped out ALL radio, A/C, cruise control wires???

I just started tearing into my car the other day for my turbo build. I have the motor pulled so i wanted to clean up some of the unused wires. Has anyone ever pulled out ALL the wires affiliated with the A/C and controls, all the stereo wires, stuff like that? How hard, or how much of a pain in the *** is it? Is it really worth it? Thanks any tips would be great.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be willing to buy your wires/plug from the cruise control up to the pcm or where ever they go..
Old 11-13-2010, 05:57 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've done it. Best advise I can give, is pull off all the electrical tape first, use some carb clean to get rid of the sticky mess you'll have, then just pick the first connector you want to remove, and clip, and start pulling the wires out all the way back to the fuse box... it will take a while but by the time you're done you will have about 20 lbs and 2 miles of wire out of the car.

same with the hvac, abs, cruise, and all that nonsense.

If you don't need the blinkers and whatnot, I'd consider race wiring the car and just start from scratch, especially if you are using an aftermarket pcm. If you're looking to keep the headlights and the flaps working you will have to keep some of the factory stuff, there's a control box that will open the headlights and turn them on, that you'll have to keep, or put the headlight flaps and the lights themselves on seperate switches.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I've done it. Best advise I can give, is pull off all the electrical tape first, use some carb clean to get rid of the sticky mess you'll have, then just pick the first connector you want to remove, and clip, and start pulling the wires out all the way back to the fuse box... it will take a while but by the time you're done you will have about 20 lbs and 2 miles of wire out of the car.

same with the hvac, abs, cruise, and all that nonsense.

If you don't need the blinkers and whatnot, I'd consider race wiring the car and just start from scratch, especially if you are using an aftermarket pcm. If you're looking to keep the headlights and the flaps working you will have to keep some of the factory stuff, there's a control box that will open the headlights and turn them on, that you'll have to keep, or put the headlight flaps and the lights themselves on seperate switches.
Thanks dude. Yea its still a streetable car. So turn signals and headlights have to stay. but I will start tearing into it tonight. I did find some new things boxes, plugs, and such that i have no clue what they go to. So i may post up some pictures of what im talking about.

On the upside i took out wipers and motor, all stereo ****(including harness that goes to the rear of the car which was hella heavy) and that saved a bunch of weight.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a thread going about doing this, still working on it, and gona finish it this winter. Same as you dont need to to "rewire" the car just don;t like working on the car there a lot of plugs not going to anything. to make it look better, easier to work on and save a little weight.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...itch-deit.html

I suggest getting used harness, and keeping yours good and selling them. Its gona take 40+ hours just to de-pin unused, and keep stock the wires on everything. And you can out look on your car what stiff it all still stock loction. then you have the servise manuals it had to know were on the car a plug is or how it was ran that tell you about it too.
You can get the body, and front end harness for super cheap, I got one set free of a local junking a car. (well 2 sets one is damaged) But bought 2 on Ebay for 20-30each. The LS1 engine harnesss sell for about 350, but then you can sell yours.

99+ are the same, v6/v8 firebird,camaro.. The trans is the man change, and some smaller things your not going to use in a street/strip car you would be doing this work for. like stero (amp,speakers) and power anetnna, 3 or 4 channel ABS, fog light, CC, TCS ASR, AC...
Old 11-13-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. Yea me and the girlfriend spent about 2 hours going through the interior harness tonight. Got all the radio stuff I think, and most everything to the A/C(i think). Going to start on the engine bay harness tomorrow, and have a few questions for you guys. Help me identify what these boxes, and connectors are please!!!!! Do i need them??
Attached Thumbnails Who has ripped out ALL radio, A/C, cruise control wires???-picture-312.jpg   Who has ripped out ALL radio, A/C, cruise control wires???-picture-313.jpg   Who has ripped out ALL radio, A/C, cruise control wires???-picture-314.jpg   Who has ripped out ALL radio, A/C, cruise control wires???-picture-315.jpg   Who has ripped out ALL radio, A/C, cruise control wires???-picture-316.jpg  

Who has ripped out ALL radio, A/C, cruise control wires???-picture-317.jpg   Who has ripped out ALL radio, A/C, cruise control wires???-picture-318.jpg  
Old 11-13-2010, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pic 6 is the window motor controller (for both windows)
Old 11-13-2010, 11:51 PM
8 Second Club

Pic 1 is the box that controls the headlights, pic 2 is ABS connector, pic 3 are relays for turn signals etc., pic 4 also has to do with turn signals I believe, pic 5 are the connectors that detach the engine harness from the interior harness, pic 6 is for the windows. This is all by memory from about 4 months ago so excuse me if something is not completely accurate.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
pull off all the electrical tape first, use some carb clean to get rid of the sticky mess you'll have, then just pick the first connector you want to remove, and clip, and start pulling the wires out all the way back to the fuse box.
This is my method as well.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, I think i pretty much have all the wires out from the interior that need to go. So tomorrow we are attacking the engine bay, and fuse boxes.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a cool thing you can do while your their with the engine harness un loomed, is de pin the rear 02s and move them to the spots for the front 02s after you de pin them out. so with headers you dont have to mess with anything, just use the longer wiring on the stock wires.

you really should get a service manual and spend some time with it, if you want to get everything your not useing. 1st I just went around to the ends I knew what they were, like your doing. And traced them back, but thats not even 25% of the normal wires you don't need. ABS, cruise, AC, power seat. and took them to the fuse, the 1st main wire splice (lots of pink,orange under the hood splice behind the fuese. Or 1st harness conectors you get to, if your only doing one harness at a time, on the car is alot harder too.
That was really easy and got s small pile of weather packs with some wires off them fast. But after they pass the 1st connector (the C-XXX D-XX) you lose were they go from there, into the other harness. Like into a relay under the dash, or the BCM, them back under the hood Then somewere else in the car, so you go to every conector and look it up, find other wires not easy to see were they go and what they are. lable what you want to keep and know what it is. Work backwords finding out the other wires no labled. Unless you have really good memory for 232 wires in 6 colors. I would think takes a lot longer then a few hours, and you find twice the wires, and crap not used.
Get some pics of how far you are, after you do this you know a lot more about your car. haha

1- ??? not sure, camaros don't have that junk
2- ABS, really easy to trace. each pair of wheel sencor wires are twisted. trace them to the wheels. make sure to get the little harnss on the front contraol arms, and the one under the car on the rear end. Some of the others wires go to other things in the car. this is were you need a servise manual is needed.
3-relays for things you need to lookup if your keeping them, Can't tell what thouse 2 are for, thers a few they all look same, turn signals, horn, heater stuff,
4- window motor relays I thin, if you have power windows. or the BCM but think it has more wires then that looks like.
5- conects between the engine harness and body harness. thats the connectors you un-do. When droping the kmember and engine with the harness hooked up still, and PCM out the bottem of the car together like GM dose building the car. PCM inside, nice. get some pics how that comes out
6- not sure, why is it so dusty? were was it mounted? I dont have that, might be a TA thing?
7- same as 6 the dusty thing?? Wires look big, so somthing the draws alot, maybe windows but think thats the sealed box, maybe headlight junk? see if its the same wire colors as your headlight motors???
but the one behind it is (cleaner) is 4, thats the BCM for sure. it was cliped in the HVAC so its clean.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Def keeping an eye on this thread. Gonna be doing this to my scrap over winter.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

im in the same boat i have a 94 lt1 and im under the dash trying to keep the lights turn sig tail lights windows the basics and im lost i will be running fast exi
Old 11-14-2010, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

finished mine last year. not really so hard but mainly time consuming
Old 11-16-2010, 07:13 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't help cuz camaros are naturally lighter and faster.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
Thanks guys, I think i pretty much have all the wires out from the interior that need to go. So tomorrow we are attacking the engine bay, and fuse boxes.
I just recently got done with a similar project. Deleting everything from the pcm harness and engine bay harness(EGR, AIR, Rear O2s, AC, ABS, Air Bags, cruise control, etc.) If you have the time I recomend removing all the wire loom (someone already mentioned it) and I used zip ties to keep the harness some what in its original shape while removing wires, makes putting the harness back in place much easier! Just take your time and trace the wires back as far as you like. After your done it will look so much cleaner and fresh electrical tape on the harness looks awesome!
Old 11-17-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaroz28lt1at
I just recently got done with a similar project. Deleting everything from the pcm harness and engine bay harness(EGR, AIR, Rear O2s, AC, ABS, Air Bags, cruise control, etc.) If you have the time I recomend removing all the wire loom (someone already mentioned it) and I used zip ties to keep the harness some what in its original shape while removing wires, makes putting the harness back in place much easier! Just take your time and trace the wires back as far as you like. After your done it will look so much cleaner and fresh electrical tape on the harness looks awesome!
Thats exactly what i did!!
Old 11-20-2010, 01:44 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

It's definitely a gooey mess, but worth it!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its messy but I pulled about 20 lbs of wiring out of my race car.

Quick Reply: Who has ripped out ALL radio, A/C, cruise control wires???