Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Formula Firebird drag build-Bright Purple Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6techniques
Hey Fuel what rim/tire combo are you going with and bs?

Also does the new upper spring perch have screws or something that prevents it from moving?
i dont know what rim and tire yet
and the perch is welded in.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered the Anti Roll bar from Midwest Chassis today. Going for an above the axle setup to weld between the frame rails.

Still need to look into possibly going to the wolfe rear springs mounts and springs, will be ordering the VFN extended WS6 hood soon but need to decide weather I want to buy the camaro dzus rails and mod them or just get brackets and go that route.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm referring to the aluminum piece that the spring itself is attached to not the base plate and screw that gets welded in place.

I wonder how much of a pita it is to modify those dzus rails. I think there are a few guys who has done it. I'm probably just going to stick with pins on mine. I'm too lazy to even attempt dzus rails lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm referring to the aluminum piece that the spring itself is attached to not the base plate and screw that gets welded in place.

I wonder how much of a pita it is to modify those dzus rails. I think there are a few guys who has done it. I'm probably just going to stick with pins on mine. I'm too lazy to even attempt dzus rails lol.
The threaded part looks to be welded to the plate so it wont move, teh aluminum adjuster will have spring tension on it so I dont think it would really move but im sure it has a locknut or something on top.

Yea I pretty lazy too but the rails look so much nicer than brackets and they look like alot less work to install than brackets. I know its been done so if anyone has done it speak up!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pulled all the metal out from around the gas door today. Of all the threads ive seen of mini tubs installs ive never seen anyone remove this.

I cut the remaining outer half of the wheel well up each side then bent it down to match the mini tub, then made a filler peice and welded it in. Ill add a peice of metal from that upper vertical peice down to the tub for a little strength and so it matches the other side. The main reason I did it this way was that I could weld the tub to the remainder of the metal and it wont affect the paint on the outside as im welding to the inner peice.

Im considering what to do with the fuel door, I may cut the bracket and tack in a thin strip of metal and tack two small studs to the door the use seam sealer to perminantly mount it, or may leave it as is.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:03 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
The threaded part looks to be welded to the plate so it wont move, teh aluminum adjuster will have spring tension on it so I dont think it would really move but im sure it has a locknut or something on top.
i put the same spring adjusters on a T/A i had. there was nothing to prevent the aluminum adjuster from moving except spring tension. i didnt keep the car long enough but i was going to think of something like a jam nut to lock it in place or i was going to drill though all the way through the side where one of the holes are already drilled and tap it and put an allen head stud in there to hold it, similar to the way afco does on their coilovers.
http://www.performancebodies.com/Ima...9fc805c34f.jpg
Old 03-06-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I see...so why not a fuel cell since your this deep into it? I'm keeping my filler neck because I. Didn't want to bother (for now). But the only thing I would do now is maybe slap a fuel gauge in there lol.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I see...so why not a fuel cell since your this deep into it? I'm keeping my filler neck because I. Didn't want to bother (for now). But the only thing I would do now is maybe slap a fuel gauge in there lol.
Im going to use a Burkhart front bumper support with a built in 4 gal cell and pump mount. That way there are less fuel lines running around the car and it puts a little usable weight on the nose. The only thing that will be in the back there is the battery in a moroso battery box and the cut off switch.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9sec93
i put the same spring adjusters on a T/A i had. there was nothing to prevent the aluminum adjuster from moving except spring tension. i didnt keep the car long enough but i was going to think of something like a jam nut to lock it in place or i was going to drill though all the way through the side where one of the holes are already drilled and tap it and put an allen head stud in there to hold it, similar to the way afco does on their coilovers.
http://www.performancebodies.com/Ima...9fc805c34f.jpg
Thats a good idea. Once I get the back done ill mount the 9" again and see how the springs sit. I think it will be fine with stock springs.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

just judging by what a pita it is to do the front coilovers with the car on the ground... I don't think you'll be coming back to the pits sitting 1" lower after making a pass? Sharpie mark on the spring and adjuster would tell you if it's moving around. Then again if you're going to be prowling the streets in this purple beast...... Seriously though, car is looking good man! I remember you having 3 f-bodies in the driveway last year, all in various states of disassembly
Old 03-06-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
just judging by what a pita it is to do the front coilovers with the car on the ground... I don't think you'll be coming back to the pits sitting 1" lower after making a pass? Sharpie mark on the spring and adjuster would tell you if it's moving around. Then again if you're going to be prowling the streets in this purple beast...... Seriously though, car is looking good man! I remember you having 3 f-bodies in the driveway last year, all in various states of disassembly
Yea I miss those days a little lol. Still have 3, but my WS6 is a bone stock DD for now and will hopefully be sold in the next couple weeks, the Formula is coming along nicely and my 68 Firebird 400 is my next project.

You gonna be ready for Invasion?

Wont be any street time for this I dont think. Im moving up to Hesperia soon so maybe I will register it and scare the **** outta everyone once a month driving it down the street, but if I get pulled over in a car with 30" rear tires, a 10 pt cage, damn near no exhaust, and a 4" hood I doubt ill get out of it cheap.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:42 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Im considering what to do with the fuel door, I may cut the bracket and tack in a thin strip of metal and tack two small studs to the door the use seam sealer to perminantly mount it, or may leave it as is.
I welded mine shut and smoothed it over. Now that I think about it, I should have kept it and used it to hide my battery charging posts (rather than have them out the rear bumper cover).
Old 03-06-2011, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

I dunno about Invasion... you? I'll throw my 4000 stall 9" converter back in it and give it hell on the spray if it's ready. It was a smog year for me, so I non-op'd my car. I have better ways to spend my money, and getting pulled over and hit with 20 emission violations ain't it.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
I welded mine shut and smoothed it over. Now that I think about it, I should have kept it and used it to hide my battery charging posts (rather than have them out the rear bumper cover).
If I were painting the car I would really like to do that as well as cap the antenna hole. Charging posts huh? Now thats a good idea since Im going to run a moroso box...damnit now you are putting more plans in my head
Old 03-06-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
I dunno about Invasion... you? I'll throw my 4000 stall 9" converter back in it and give it hell on the spray if it's ready. It was a smog year for me, so I non-op'd my car. I have better ways to spend my money, and getting pulled over and hit with 20 emission violations ain't it.
Im still hoping to make it, need to finish the trunk fab work, install the motor and trans, buy a driveshaft and hood, find a way to mount the hood SINCE RACECRAFT ONLY MAKES THEM FOR CAMAROS, then ill need to mount my autometer gauges, as long as there are no issues and Ryne can tune it in time I should be able to run on motor. Im not even going to attempt to get the nitrous installed and running.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:14 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If I were painting the car I would really like to do that as well as cap the antenna hole. Charging posts huh? Now thats a good idea since Im going to run a moroso box...damnit now you are putting more plans in my head
Now that'll make me feel good if you use it

I saw the idea in a magazine. It was a new Challenger Super Stocker, and they used the gas door to hide the charging plug.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Now that'll make me feel good if you use it

I saw the idea in a magazine. It was a new Challenger Super Stocker, and they used the gas door to hide the charging plug.
I like it, I dont think ill do it soon because first priority is getting it up and running and making a private track day we have set up at the end of May. All id really need to do is make a cup with holes and rivet it in like the gas door hinge is.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't believe how crazy cali's vehicular laws are relating to smog/emissions...that's the only thing keeping me from moving to that beautiful state lol. I like the option of driving my gas guzzling emissions nightmare on the street without being tacled by treehugging hybrid drivers

Charging post in the filler...now that's a good idea!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fabbed and welded in my ttop patch today...been telling myself for months to weigh the damn thing before I weld it in and ofcourse I forgot. When im welding and doing fab work im like a frieght train with Ford brakes, just cant stop

Heres a pic of the roll bar mount on the left side. If you look back in earlier pictures youll see it was bent 90* to conform to the ttop well. I was able to heat the plate and bend it the flatten it out and slipped the new patch underneath it. Looks ok but will look much better after some primer.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't believe how crazy cali's vehicular laws are relating to smog/emissions...that's the only thing keeping me from moving to that beautiful state lol. I like the option of driving my gas guzzling emissions nightmare on the street without being tacled by treehugging hybrid drivers

Charging post in the filler...now that's a good idea!
Yea no kidding. I love California and have lived here all my life...but the state is eventually going to regulate itself to death. Combine that with the outrageous cost of living and its easy to see why so many people are moving to other states.

Quick Reply: 1998 Formula Firebird drag build-Bright Purple Metallic