Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody using aftermarket doors on their 4th gen f-body?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody using aftermarket doors on their 4th gen f-body?

I am curious to know if there would be weight savings from this. Anyone know what a stock 93-02 camaro door shell weighs without anything bolted to it and no glass? for clarification I am talking about the whole fiberglass door.

Also wondering if the side impact door bars can be used with these?

A company called "chaser" makes or made these at one time maybe other companies as well..

Last edited by CarolinaCamaro; 12-24-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added info
Old 12-24-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt think any aftermarket door would have door bars because it adds so much weight. Im sticking with stock doors, I hate when doors dont shut nice and stock doors do. Its just a peave of mine. There are plenty of other things to save weight.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you run aftermarket doors you have no choice to use lexan. There is a substantial weight difference, if you have picked up even a gutted OEM door you know what I'm talking about! Why in the world you would pay $600+ to run aftermarket doors but want to retain the impact bars is beyond me, but they do not have the metal bracketry inside so this is not possible to use the bars or factory glass...

Sounds like you have a street car and this is the last mod you need.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
If you run aftermarket doors you have no choice to use lexan. There is a substantial weight difference, if you have picked up even a gutted OEM door you know what I'm talking about! Why in the world you would pay $600+ to run aftermarket doors but want to retain the impact bars is beyond me, but they do not have the metal bracketry inside so this is not possible to use the bars or factory glass...

Sounds like you have a street car and this is the last mod you need.

The reason this caught my eye is that I have heard that completely gutted factory doors vs. aftermarket doors = 40 pound weight difference a piece. So that would be 80 pounds right there then if you subtract door bars use lexan etc that would be a huge weight reduction. I could not find much info on this.. I know that the vfn pieces don't take door bars and must use lexan but was unsure if this was the case with other manufacturers.

If they only use lexan and cannot accept door bars you are right- best left for a drag only car. I ask this question for information/curiousity - not because I am planning on doing it to my vehicle.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:47 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You can't install the crash bars, they won't work. As for lexan, with the VFN doors yes you have to run lexan. There's a guy on YB by the name KOZ, he makes some carbon fiber stuff for transam 4th gen cars, I don't know if those doors require the lexan or not, my understanding is that be bought all Ronnie Duke's old molds, and sent them up to a place in Canada that's really good with carbon fiber work... The parts aren't cheap y any means, but they fit the car, better then 99% of what's out there. As far as I know he only has molds for a transam/firebird, no camaro parts that I know of.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:02 AM
10 Second Club

There is a company in the sponsor sales and specials section that has some carbon fiber doors for a 4th gen camaro that look to be stock replacement style. The price was nice too IIRC. I'll see if I can find them again.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 AM
10 Second Club

Here it is: https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...y-blowout.html
Old 12-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
You can't install the crash bars, they won't work. As for lexan, with the VFN doors yes you have to run lexan. There's a guy on YB by the name KOZ, he makes some carbon fiber stuff for transam 4th gen cars, I don't know if those doors require the lexan or not, my understanding is that be bought all Ronnie Duke's old molds, and sent them up to a place in Canada that's really good with carbon fiber work... The parts aren't cheap y any means, but they fit the car, better then 99% of what's out there. As far as I know he only has molds for a transam/firebird, no camaro parts that I know of.
^^ This!!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

those doors are race only. fiberglass is 12lbs and carbon is 5lbs. and the stock doors weight is 93lbs with panels.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Race your car!

You can take about 24 lbs of the stock doors off with DMH's door panels, and then you can get about another 10 lbs per door out with some cutting, which I already did. The 93 lbs also includes the safety bar, which is another 7 lbs.

So, you can get 41 lbs out per door on a stock set of doors, but you still have 52 lbs of door, compared to the 5 lbs for the carbon doors...

That's alot to save. I wasn't going to do them... but I might have to now
Old 12-27-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow thats a chunk.
damnit I wish I would remove the doorbars. how light can you do with keeping them? its probally only 3-4 pounds removing fiberglass behind the panels???

I'd rather run lighter doorpanels, with the bars in still. while I drive on the street so much with the wolfe low door bars
Old 12-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Race your car!

If you take the bars out, put the DMH panels on and cut the brackets back that held the bars in place, and take a cutoff wheel/hole saw to the inner skin of the door you can get about 41 lbs out of the car.

Now, if you swap to the carbon doors you double that savings....

Which unfortunately, now I'm gonna have to add to my list. Thanks guys
Old 12-27-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the doors are hard.........and takes lots of time. but can save 170lbs

Attached Thumbnails Anybody using aftermarket doors on their 4th gen f-body?-mikes-pics-047-1600x1200-.jpg  
Old 12-27-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are stock doors 93lbs with stock glass or no glass? Carbon doors are 5 lbs bare with no lexan right? I didnt realize they save so much, looks like that will be on my list as well. Also what is YB? I looked at the site on the link above but I only see camaro doors.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by waterproofer
the doors are hard.........and takes lots of time. but can save 170lbs

wow. thats huge
what do you need for all that. thats thouse CF doors listed above? what hinges, and latch? what size lexan? you mount it with the RJ kit? its gona be what $1500-1700 before paint?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by studderin
wow. thats huge
what do you need for all that. thats thouse CF doors listed above? what hinges, and latch? what size lexan? you mount it with the RJ kit? its gona be what $1500-1700 before paint?
madman has all the parts
about 2500 before paint
i'll do a thread in about two weeks
Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow thats alot of coin...maybe that will take a little while to work up to.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Wow that's a lot of coin...maybe that will take a little while to work up to.
considering you are saving, like h20proof said, 70-80+ lbs off each side of the car I can see why it would cost so much...2k for 160+ lbs off the car sounds bout right. Ain't cheap to go fast and the faster the part(s) makes you, the faster the price-tag drains ur checking account.

That would be cool to have those doors with working lexan windows that could roll up/down manually (not all the way but just like half way even would be cool). It'd Look like a regular car door to anyone else until you go to open it... damn OEM doors carry so much weight, they're huge! I'm surprised you don't see failed hinges more often as mine don't look so happy in the 95 camaro
Old 12-29-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
considering you are saving, like h20proof said, 70-80+ lbs off each side of the car I can see why it would cost so much...2k for 160+ lbs off the car sounds bout right. Ain't cheap to go fast and the faster the part(s) makes you, the faster the price-tag drains ur checking account.

That would be cool to have those doors with working lexan windows that could roll up/down manually (not all the way but just like half way even would be cool). It'd Look like a regular car door to anyone else until you go to open it... damn OEM doors carry so much weight, they're huge! I'm surprised you don't see failed hinges more often as mine don't look so happy in the 95 camaro
Yea that is a good weight savings, it would help if I could actually see some of the parts but I dont know what this YB is, if its another forum or what the hell and the link posted above has carbon camaro doors and I cant see how they weight 5 lbs and look kinda junky so im assuming those are not the ones everyone is talking about. Im anxious to see waterproofers thread though.

Last edited by MrElectric03; 12-30-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

yellowbullet.com

Quick Reply: Anybody using aftermarket doors on their 4th gen f-body?