Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension setup for street/strip combo

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Suspension setup for street/strip combo

Ive been bitten by the racing bug and want to take my SS to the next level with some suspension mods that will improve my track times. Currently the suspension is completely stock. Id like to keep the car streetable but not afraid to dabble/sacrifice street manners for a suspension setup to get better times. I have done a some searching and little research but was wondering what everybody hear would suggest for a suspension setup. I plan on a single turbo w/ hopefully around 800rwhp, so keep that in mind. So let me hear it, what would you do if you were in my shoes and planning to do a suspension setup for street/strip combo? Include everything you can think of...maybe even throw in some drivetrain and wheel setups/suggestions too.

Chris
Old 01-08-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whichever way you go, its best to do it right the first time. SFC's and LCA's are a good start, and an adj tq arm. Looks like you might be in the market for a good 9 inch as well according to your sig. 800hp is a lot to tame, but once you get her dialed in you will be flying
Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by krissoto
whichever way you go, its best to do it right the first time. SFC's and LCA's are a good start, and an adj tq arm. Looks like you might be in the market for a good 9 inch as well according to your sig. 800hp is a lot to tame, but once you get her dialed in you will be flying
What rod ends/bushings would you suggest? Ive heard mixed reviews about everything out there...
I know the stock rear has to go so I was thinking I would go with either a 12 bolt, S60 or 9" narrowed 3 inches on each side with 15x10's with 5.5" backspacing...not sure what size tires but theyd need to be drag radials.

Last edited by ries; 01-09-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you are going to be in the 800hp ballpark I don't think a 12 bolt is going to be enough.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by need4fun2469
If you are going to be in the 800hp ballpark I don't think a 12 bolt is going to be enough.
Ive been on the fence for a while now on the rear...I do hear alot of people complaining about the 12 bolt lately with reference to gear whine, etc. Especially guys with M6 cars. Still not sure on what rear but if I did have to make a choice today it would be a 9"
Old 01-09-2011, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Nobody has any more input?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call midwest chassis. Talk to Eric/Jason get their rear end and their suspension with either the heavy duty BMR/UMI drag stuff or the MWC anti roll bar. talk to them about coilovers or upgraded shocks/struts too.

You could also give madman a call. He is the fbody fbody suspension god
Old 01-10-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Give me a call. We can get you virtually anything you need, and we can also advise you on the best parts for your particular setup and goals. I agree with krissoto, subframe connectors would be the first and foremost part to buy. This will strengthen your car's chassis. The suspension world for these cars is almost limitless, so it's best to talk over the phone about your options. We could go back and forth on this thread for days. My number is 225-673-3533. If you don't have time to talk, e-mail me @ mad_steve@live.com. I look forward to working with you.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

At 800 RWHP, it's not advisable to just shoot a list of parts out. You really need to talk with a qualified shop and design a complete setup. Give us a call and we can assist.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by need4fun2469
12 Bolt can handle that power. The question will be how will it be put to the ground. Transmission will need to be discussed and IMO he is in the Power Glide area, or a beefed up TH-400/4L80e. T-56 can work but its something that can be an issue when racing and people looking to win events.

JL-ws6 was running well into the 9's on a 12 bolt from Moser, and a Eaton HD posi and 4.10's and he swapped out the Posi, sold it and runs a spool. The posi worked perfect and he was hitting it on a T brake and 150 shot w/ a 402 so I mean there is always a good chance there will be no issues.

No everyone needs a Fab 9 or a Chromoly rear end housing set up, no Double Adj shocks to be competitive.

If you stick with a auto, the suspension requirement becomes much easier. I would post this in the FI section as your going to get tons of guys who have competitive race set ups running single turbo.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Well for a street car I would stay all poly ends if you dont want your teeth to rattle out and replace wear parts.
My set up is UMI upper and lower a-arms, K-member, Strange DA front shocks with 300# springs, SFCs, Adj LCAs,PHB, UMI Drag bar, TA, LCA relocation brackets, madman valved AFCO Rear shocks, stock springs with heater hose mod and a Dana S60 rear. Ive seen cars go 1.3 60fts wit the same setup.

Quick Reply: Suspension setup for street/strip combo