Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans blanket cause trans to run hot? Aluminum flexplate worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trans blanket cause trans to run hot? Aluminum flexplate worth it?

Im trying to get my car up to spec for this year.

I need to run a trans blanket, however my car is a street car with this cause any issues with the trans temps?

Also Im needing to upgrade to a new flex plate, my old TCI one lost some teeth, Im looking at buying another TCI but how much lighter is the aluminum CSR flexplate, is it at durable they're both SFI approved.

Thanks
Austin
Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The alum flexplate, if you have the $ to spend, do it. I'm sure that it will be fine... if it's got an sfi sticker on it they had to do some testing with it...

The blanket, if you have a good sized tranny cooler there shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you have an adequate cooler, one with a fan on it would probably be a good idea. Friend of mine just put a cooler in his project (71 nova) that he got from a junkyard, that was in a 1 ton diesel pickup. It's the same size as the radiator It'a a little overkill... but it will certainly keep the tranny cool. Thing holds 2 qts of fluid just on it's own!

Not saying ya need one that big, but don't be afraid to put a big one on the car... not going to hurt anything.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Internet Mechanic

A Trans Cooler thats bigger then the radiator, that actually makes sense....
Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Race your car!

I'm not saying it makes sense.. but when he got the thing for 50 bucks from chuck and eddie's scrap yard out of an 03 F350... vs spending a couple hundred, it seemed like a no brainer.

Only thing he did to the thing was weld a couple fittings on it so a -6 an line could run from the tranny to the cooler, and it was good to go.

Radiator in that car is probably too big too really... but I guarintee it could run in the desert heat and have no cooling problems. Overkill/dead weight to me, but he likes to go oversize on stuff... and never has any problems with stuff overheating.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Internet Mechanic

Some companies like to talk about "Over Cooling" but I don't subscribe to that. For automatics that see any sort of street use or a track car that goes round after round on a T brake, I would feel very confident in that cooler.

I wish I ran that one when I was running an auto at the time, could have staved off the first trans rebuild for a few more years to avoid the dreaded 2nd one.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have learned over the years is transmission do have an operating temp. At least that is what I have been told by transmission builders. I don't think you want the fluid cold all the time.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Race your car!

Cold no, but you have to be able to get the heat out of the tranny. If the fluid goes in the cooler at X temp, and back into the trans without being cool enough to keep the trans from building heat... then you aren't cooling it enough.

Converter effeciency is a big part of trans temp. If it slips too much, then you're building more heat, if you have a trans brake and sit on it for any more then absolutely nessassary, you are building a TON of heat doing that...

If you can't hotlap your car without the tranny getting over 240, then I would say you need a bigger cooler.

I ran the biggest flex a lite that I could, and had it mounted right on the radiator, and that was barely adequate for my old setup. I don't think I needed the 1 ton truck unit, but I would definitely have put something probably double what I had on and had a fan on it seperately... which is what I am planning to do when the car gets back together.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

Why do you *need* a trans blanket? Last time I saw your car at Eddyville it wasn't even close to fast enough to need a blanket...granted that was a few years ago. What times are you looking to run this year?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by TPIIROC
From what I have learned over the years is transmission do have an operating temp. At least that is what I have been told by transmission builders. I don't think you want the fluid cold all the time.
Some aftermarket coolers have a thermostat built in.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fenton06
Why do you *need* a trans blanket? Last time I saw your car at Eddyville it wasn't even close to fast enough to need a blanket...granted that was a few years ago. What times are you looking to run this year?
you need a blanket at 10.99 or faster and judging by his sig he's getting close...

with a good tranny cooler it shouldn't be an issue. where do you usually run the car now?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

I ran a best of 11.31 @ 119.5 last year on motor, I changed some things this year and the engine is built for nitrous. Im going to start spraying 100 shot this year which will put my in the tens. Look to be mid/low tens by the end of this year as I work onthe tune. So Its kinda mandatory at this point.

FWIW last time you watched my car run it had the 355 motor with the hot cam which ran 7.70's. My new engine runs 7.20's. It will probably be slower this year with the change in converter and added 100lbs with the rollbar and sfcs, LCAs etc.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

Hmmm... I didn't know you needed one at 10.99, I thought it was required at 9.99 along with all the other stuff you need at that point. Guess you learn something every day!

I don't read sigs Sounds like the car has gone through some pretty exciting changes! Mine is *still* broke as **** Good thing brando is gonna use my engine since it was built to be abused
Old 05-18-2011, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Hmmm... I didn't know you needed one at 10.99, I thought it was required at 9.99 along with all the other stuff you need at that point. Guess you learn something every day!

I don't read sigs Sounds like the car has gone through some pretty exciting changes! Mine is *still* broke as **** Good thing brando is gonna use my engine since it was built to be abused
Whats broke on yours?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

My trans hasn't been fixed for over a year and a half, I actually don't even know what's wrong with it. The clutches are all shot, or the band around the input drum/input drum is toast I think. I just have no time to go home and work on it. The decision has been made to cut it up though, next time it's out it'll be freshly painted with a lot of new sheetmetal and a pretty serious cage Oh, and it'll be a couple hundred pounds lighter!

Last edited by fenton06; 05-19-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Trans blanket cause trans to run hot? Aluminum flexplate worth it?