Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight Reduction for street car ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weight Reduction for street car ?

Hey guys,

First of all I know I'm talking about street car ( not my dd .. but a weekend car ) that will never see the track and most of it's actions will be from 30 or 50 mph roll

I'm posting here cause I know that you guys have the best experience in this route !

Currently I have UMI suspension ( K-Member / A-Arms .... Etc ) without the Subframe connectors. Also AIR pump already removed

I'm planning to remove the rear seats along with rear belts, spare tire and jack, replace stock bumpers supports with fabricated one, relocate battery

Also may do manual steering rack setup from BMR or MadMan

So do you think is it worth to do it or not in my case ?

Last edited by Cold Zero; 07-05-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can live and enjoy the car without an item and does not create a serious safety issue (i.e. Door Bar removal + Street Driving + No 6 pt cage = Death upon side impact) then I say go for it.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
If you can live and enjoy the car without an item and does not create a serious safety issue (i.e. Door Bar removal + Street Driving + No 6 pt cage = Death upon side impact) then I say go for it.
This the best advice you could get. The problem with weight reduction and not adding a cage is the safety issue. You would like to think nothing will happen but you never know. Go up in power instead
Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Bumper supports from Midwest if you decide not to make your own

Ditch the front sway bar

Lighter wheels

Does your SS have leather seats? Swap them for cloth if you do.

Keep a lookout for a carbon fiber d/s used in classifieds-not much lighter due to yokes but its recipicating weight
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

i took off my cruise control and cable it was 5-7lbs i guess, didn't work anyway and no lights on the dash w/ it out. I also removed front sway-bar (don't forget to remove the brackets too), front bumper support and never looked back, i do still have the rear support for now it's still my DD. they say the rubber mats under the carpet are heavy i haven't got that far yet, i would rec sub frame connectors before you start wrinkling the 1/4 mines already doin it with street tires.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightweight carpet..
Old 07-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Stereo speakers and wiring. I only run my front two for a little music. I like listening to my exhaust
Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

i'm taking out the middle speakers there all base and they get agravating anyway
Old 07-06-2011, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My car isnt a true DD but I drive it almost every nice day there is this time of year.
I have taken out...
Air pump and all attachments
Stock disk changer
T top holders
Windshield wiper reservoir
Spare tire and jack
A/C
Back seats with seat belts/bolts
Front pass seat with seat belt
Front bumper support
rear bumper support
removed all backing and rubber matting from carpet

My car weighs 3210 with 1/4 tank gas.

I might do a poly summit seat, smaller battery, pin on hood, smaller things I havent done yet and thats all I can think of right now. I think the door bars will stay unless I have a cage but I dont see myself going that far.
Also, before I go racing in the fall I will take swaybar off.
Ill get 11s in the fall.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 PM
9 Second Club

Leave the door bars in. I would invest in a 6pt cage. Yea its weight added but if you are running highspeeds it worth it.
I had a good friend about lose his life. He went out for a sunday cruise and ripped it. The rear wheel sheard the lug bolts off the car went sideways and accross to lanes of trafic and hit a light pole side ways pined him in the car broke his pelvic and they had to cut him out of the car.
If it wasnt for the door bar,subframe connectors and the cage he would be dead today. From the drivers door rocker it bent the car in 18inches the light pole was in the car and smached against his hip and pined him to between the pole and the console.

So keep the safety stuff in door bars, etc invest in a chromoloy cage if you run at the track you have to have it these days.
After this accident it really opens your eyes. Best of luck man
Old 07-10-2011, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

Here is my list for now

- Replace my PS with manual one
- Light weigh battery relocated to the rear
- Delete the rear seat with rear belts
- Front and Rear bumper support
- Lighter front seats

Not sure actually if I will be able to delete the A/C ( Saudi Arabia Weather )
Old 07-10-2011, 07:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dnkynrbk
Leave the door bars in. I would invest in a 6pt cage. Yea its weight added but if you are running highspeeds it worth it.
I had a good friend about lose his life. He went out for a sunday cruise and ripped it. The rear wheel sheard the lug bolts off the car went sideways and accross to lanes of trafic and hit a light pole side ways pined him in the car broke his pelvic and they had to cut him out of the car.
If it wasnt for the door bar,subframe connectors and the cage he would be dead today. From the drivers door rocker it bent the car in 18inches the light pole was in the car and smached against his hip and pined him to between the pole and the console.

So keep the safety stuff in door bars, etc invest in a chromoloy cage if you run at the track you have to have it these days.
Thanks man for your reply .. Yes you are right ..
Will never delete those doors bar

Safety First
Old 07-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Teching In

remove the air conditioner,air pump, dump the exhaust after the headers and you will lose the mid pipe and at least 40lbs

smaller battery,wiper reservoir,stock cast iron exhaust manifolds,

later when cash permits do a carbon fiber hood
Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't delete the power steering in ur situation.. there is definitely other places in the car to lose weight easily without sacrificing anything radical like that
Old 07-11-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

keeping my door bars too.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:25 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by dnkynrbk

x2 The door bars aren't worth the hassel
Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

There's lots of stuff you can do to lighten a street car. Mine is at 3100#(a little less in drag form) and is complete dd with all amenities, sounddeadening, all interior and exhaust out the back.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
There's lots of stuff you can do to lighten a street car. Mine is at 3100#(a little less in drag form) and is complete dd with all amenities, sounddeadening, all interior and exhaust out the back.
Care to go into detail a little more on what you took out and what you kept? I only ask bcuz thats a nice race weight and still having "all amenities" makes me wonder what is possible to keep and toss to get to a number like that. Thanks

I figured if you had a nice 8-10pt+ cage in the car, the door bars wouldnt be too necessary, no?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

I take parts off, lighten them, paint them and reinstall them. Ofcourse there is some stuff that can go completely. He's some pics so ya get the idea...You could probally search me and find more.

There is lots of other brackets that I have drilled and or trimmed the flanges on. Most people don't even notice what I've done because when I pop the hood everything is pretty much there.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey silver you still have factory hood with the brackets drilled?

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction for street car ?